Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seb derm got worse with coconut oil

Unhappy Seb derm got worse with coconut oil

Hi first time on this forum so i thought i would post here. I was told i had SD early this year. I was put on steroid creams and nizoral shampoo with mixed results. I had a really bad allergic reaction to some types of steroids, and now i"ve given up all hope on them and have been looking for more natural solutions.

I noticed the thread about honey and coconut oil and thought I would give it a try. I have applied coconut oil after a wash to the affected areas such as around the nose, chin and forehead last night before i went to sleep, and woke up to find all the areas i applied it to are terribly inflamed and i have a horrible burning feeling in all the areas, it really stings. It was better before i applied the oil. Along with the inflammation I've noticed a layer of oily white skin or something similar over the worst Seb affected areas. Could i have used to much coconut oil?

I'm already on a diet to help control the yeast inside, and i intend to apply honey masks when the stores get some pure honey in stock (they were sold out yesterday). My question is this, Iam having a allergic reaction to the coconut oil (its pure), am I using too much or this is normal and just bringing the infected cells to the surface?

lastly I've heard of zinc pyrithione spray being used with a high success rate? can anyone comment about that? Thanks

I just replied to your original post: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...429#post241429
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

maybe your skin just doesnt like it, not all products are good for everyone maybe give jojoba oil a try its the most effective thing iv used it completely calms things down and for me personally takes the itch out and redness out of my face

Quote Originally Posted by downtown View Post

maybe give jojoba oil a try its the most effective thing iv used it completely calms things down and for me personally takes the itch out and redness out of my face
    Oleic acid is a known Malassezia carbon source and metabolite. Jojoba oil can worsen seb derm because of its oleic acid content. If you search this forum and elsewhere, you'll find many reports addressing this issue. There's also this study: http://www.nature.com/jidsp/journal/.../5640230a.html.

Moreover, olive oil disks are used in labs to grow Malassezia furfur, the causative agent of seb derm, because olive oil has a high oleic acid content.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Oleic acid is a known Malassezia carbon source and metabolite. Jojoba oil can worsen seb derm because of its oleic acid content. If you search this forum and elsewhere, you'll find many reports addressing this issue. There's also this study: http://www.nature.com/jidsp/journal/.../5640230a.html.

Moreover, olive oil disks are used in labs to grow Malassezia furfur, the causative agent of seb derm, because olive oil has a high oleic acid content.
    Hello Auburn,
    do you think eating olive oil could also encorage the growth of malassezia? I eat plenty of olive oil.

Quote Originally Posted by MasK View Post

Hello Auburn,
    do you think eating olive oil could also encorage the growth of malassezia? I eat plenty of olive oil.
    Hi Mask,

I'm afraid that's the case, for us, unlucky susceptible ones .

From the oleic acid study linked above:

[...] dandruff is mediated by Malassezia metabolites, specifically irritating free fatty acids released from sebaceous triglycerides. Investigation of the toxic Malassezia free fatty acid metabolites (represented by oleic acid) reveals the component of individual susceptibility.
    and

Integrating all available data, it appears that dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis most likely result from three specific etiologic factors: 1—Individual susceptibility; 2—Sebaceous secretion; and 3—Malassezia fungi. Individual susceptibility is most likely related to basal permeability barrier function, immune system function, and possibly even action of the overall microbial community.
    When I learned about this, last year, it all started to make sense. Since 2004, I had been using extra virgin (in salads and as a condiment) and pure olive oil (for sautéing, etc.) exclusively, which means that about 85% of my daily fat intake contained the highest level of oleic acid. A year later, and for the next three years, my hair would start to fall off every autumn, which seemed weird because, naturally, mammals don't shed hair/fur during the cold season. I also noticed some very minimal flaking and thinner eyelashes but my scalp didn't itch nor did my face present any symptoms of seb derm.

Then, two years later, in March '09, my face literally exploded with seb derm.

I've stopped cooking with olive oil though still use it in salads because I love it (and that's a problem because I eat salads most days). I've been trying to use more walnut oil these past few months, which I kind of like but not as much as that fruity olive oil I love so much.

I use nothing else but olive oil ONLY for many years! Will coconut oil be a better choice then? Thank you!

Hi Bichon,

I know exactly how you feel right now. This really sucks, doesn't it?

For cooking, refined or virgin coconut oil would be a good choice, yes. I've been using expeller-pressed coconut oil (refined) for quite some time now. I don't use the virgin oil for cooking because of its scent. The refined one is odorless. Tropical Traditions is one of the better brands.

Cheers

Thank you Auburn, I will switch to coconut oil with the refined one to cook and save the unrefined one for the honey treatment. However, I am a little confuse about how to put the honey on my scalp, like should I put the honey to cover my entire scalp or just partially since my head doesn't itch at all. Again, thank you so much for your knowledge and effort of helping others! Cheers!!!

You are most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bichon View Post

should I put the honey to cover my entire scalp or just partially since my head doesn't itch at all.
    Cover the entire scalp (and ears inside and out). Part your hair as if you were applying hair coloring and apply the honey using your fingertips, on scalp only - no need to apply to hair.