Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Ivermectin for Demodex.

Quote Originally Posted by davem81 View Post
    Meridiantoo, just wondered if you're still using the ivermectin, & how you're getting on?

Or anybody else currently using, for that matter!
    Hi Dave,

I had what seemed like a total remission back in March and stopped all treatments except dandruff shampoo which I tried because someone told me they had an itchy scalp that dandruff shampoo seemed to relieve. I intended to do maintenance treatments when I became symptom-free, but I neglected to do this. Now, my symptoms are back, though not as strong as they were when I first began treatment. I plan to start using the ivomec again EOD.

Susanne

Quote Originally Posted by meridiantoo View Post
    Hi Dave,

I had what seemed like a total remission back in March and stopped all treatments except dandruff shampoo which I tried because someone told me they had an itchy scalp that dandruff shampoo seemed to relieve. I intended to do maintenance treatments when I became symptom-free, but I neglected to do this. Now, my symptoms are back, though not as strong as they were when I first began treatment. I plan to start using the ivomec again EOD.

Susanne
    Hi Susanne,

Sorry to hear that your symptoms are back. However, looking at the bigger picture, it sounds like this is positive news overall - you may have found something that will keep you in remission? Do you credit the ivomec for the remission that you acheived from March onwards?

Best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davem81 View Post
    Hi Susanne,

Sorry to hear that your symptoms are back. However, looking at the bigger picture, it sounds like this is positive news overall - you may have found something that will keep you in remission? Do you credit the ivomec for the remission that you acheived from March onwards?

Best wishes

Dave
    Dave ~

Thanks!

I think it was a combination of many products I used, ivomec just being one of them. It's hard to attribute clearing of symptoms to one or two products combined because I used a bunch of different stuff. I think the dry mustard likely provided the most relief.

Susanne

Identifying what has worked is a problem I've had in the past, so I now try to keep treatments down to a minimum (in terms of number of things I'm using at any one time) in order that I could more easily identify what was working, if indeed I struck gold!

Best of luck for getting back into remission!

By the way - how was the ivomec? Did you find any issues, side effects etc?

Default Starting Oral Ivermectin

My dermatologist prescribed Ivermectin for me months ago. I had good results--it felt like I was symptom free. Even my eyes, which have really suffered with Ocular Rosacea, cleared up. It was like my old skin had returned. (I have had P&P Rosacea for about 18 months or so). I have a slow-moving type of Lymphoma, so it is reasonable to expect that my immune system isn't up to snuff--which makes me a prime candidate for P&P rosacea. Then, after afew weeks of relief, the disease bounced back. Now, given my earlier success, my doctor has again prescribed Ivermectin. I took it a week ago, and my skin quality has since declined--I am telling myself that the miserable beasts are dying off and causing infections. (I truly hope their deaths are swift, but painful!) I will take a second dose of Ivermectin 2 weeks after the first. I am keeping a journal this time so my recollections about reactions and time frames will be more accurate. I feel hopeful that Ivermectin will be the asnwer, but I expect that I will have to use it over a long term to completely eradicate the pests. My dermatologist is conducting trials of topical Ivermectin through the medical school with which she is associated. That didn't fit for me because of my Ocular Rosacea, but it may hold promise for many who have P&P Rosacea without ocular involvement.

I'll check back in from time to time to let readers know whether the oral Ivermectin provided meaningful relief. I really do think the Demodex are at the root of the problem. The only good Demodex is a dead Demodex!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
    My dermatologist prescribed Ivermectin for me months ago. I had good results--it felt like I was symptom free. Even my eyes, which have really suffered with Ocular Rosacea, cleared up. It was like my old skin had returned. (I have had P&P Rosacea for about 18 months or so). I have a slow-moving type of Lymphoma, so it is reasonable to expect that my immune system isn't up to snuff--which makes me a prime candidate for P&P rosacea. Then, after afew weeks of relief, the disease bounced back. Now, given my earlier success, my doctor has again prescribed Ivermectin. I took it a week ago, and my skin quality has since declined--I am telling myself that the miserable beasts are dying off and causing infections. (I truly hope their deaths are swift, but painful!) I will take a second dose of Ivermectin 2 weeks after the first. I am keeping a journal this time so my recollections about reactions and time frames will be more accurate. I feel hopeful that Ivermectin will be the asnwer, but I expect that I will have to use it over a long term to completely eradicate the pests. My dermatologist is conducting trials of topical Ivermectin through the medical school with which she is associated. That didn't fit for me because of my Ocular Rosacea, but it may hold promise for many who have P&P Rosacea without ocular involvement.

I'll check back in from time to time to let readers know whether the oral Ivermectin provided meaningful relief. I really do think the Demodex are at the root of the problem. The only good Demodex is a dead Demodex!
    Hi Bumps, I use topical Iver to great advantage! I had ocular involvement, also, but treated that with theratears foaming eyelid scrub (2x daily for at least a month and then tapering) and alternating eye ointment at night with putting castor oil on my lashline and lashes. Don't forget to treat your eyebrows with the foam and castor oil, too.

Taking classic blood cleansing herbs like turmeric helps a LOT.

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Default Ivermectin for P&P

So I started about 3 weeks ago using Ivermectin. After the initial dose I waited 2 weeks (presumably to let eggs hatch and then kill the juvenile mites before they could reproduce). I'm using Permetherin 3 times a week to supplement the Ivermectin, and I use a mixture of TTO and Jojoba oil twice a week. It's all out war here. My face is looking better. Initially, I saw an increase in paps. Now, things are settling down. About a week after taking the second dose, I have only 2 paps that feel active now. But I had hoped to have none. I think I will go to the doctor and have a few scrapings done--I assume that all of the mites have been eliminated, but maybe it takes more than 2 doses of Ivermectin. If I still get paps but there is no trace of mites, then it's possible I should eliminate Demodex as the cause of my skin condition. If there are still mites present, then I may keep trying Ivermectin as long as my doctor will write prescriptions.

Ghost, thanks for writing. I know your name from the many times I have visited this site. I'm glad you have been getting good results with the topical ivermectin. I'm hoping I can lay my hands on some of that as well. I do use TTO shampoo, including on my eyelids (squezzed shut because TTO is quite strong) and I think it may help. But I still need Restasis to avoid dry eyes, at least for now. I'm also taking Doxycycline, Noritate (Metrogel) and Azelex. As I said, it's a war, and I mean to kill Demodex.

Bumps you can get ivomec from a farm supply store in GA. Just google. They're one of the first sources to come up.

If you have rosacea, and you use the topical ivomec, you can dump the rest of the stuff. (Except something like the tto, which helps kill the bugs, too).

When you say you're using ivermectin, you mean you're taking pills? I really don't think that's as effective as topically putting it on at night when the bugs come out.

This is all if you have demodex.

If you have other critters, I don't know...

G

Default Oral or topical Ivermectin

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Bumps you can get ivomec from a farm supply store in GA. Just google. They're one of the first sources to come up.

If you have rosacea, and you use the topical ivomec, you can dump the rest of the stuff. (Except something like the tto, which helps kill the bugs, too).

When you say you're using ivermectin, you mean you're taking pills? I really don't think that's as effective as topically putting it on at night when the bugs come out.

This is all if you have demodex.

If you have other critters, I don't know...

G
    I have been using oral ivermectin, prescribed by the dermatologist. I definately have Demodex--scrapings confirm that. My skin has improved since I took the Ivermectin, but not by much--it still has issues. I wanted complete remission. I'd like to try a topical. Ghost, is the topical you get from the farm supply store already in a cream or gel so it can be applied, or do you have to mix a powder or liquid with some other compound? How much do you use? How often do you use it? After the creatures are banished, do you continue to use a prophylactic dose? How often? Have you noticed any side effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
    I have been using oral ivermectin, prescribed by the dermatologist. I definately have Demodex--scrapings confirm that. My skin has improved since I took the Ivermectin, but not by much--it still has issues. I wanted complete remission. I'd like to try a topical. Ghost, is the topical you get from the farm supply store already in a cream or gel so it can be applied, or do you have to mix a powder or liquid with some other compound? How much do you use? How often do you use it? After the creatures are banished, do you continue to use a prophylactic dose? How often? Have you noticed any side effects?
    Hi Bumps, it's a liquid. It says injection, but you use it as a topical (it's bovine).

One I pry the top off, I now put (I changed my method) some of the liquid iver into a tiny brown glass jar; I put in less than a teaspoon. Then seal up the rest of the iver and put it into the bottom of the refrigerator.

I do my facial routine as always, including using 5% glycolic acid (Reviva brand) + night time moisturizer. I apply these lightly. This can be done hours or minutes before the iver, makes no diff.

Just before bed I take out the brown jar (kept in medicine cabinet) and get a finger tip full of iver and dot and spread that around my face. I put it well into the hairline and behind my ears.

When first doing it it is also a good idea to apply to your scalp. You can do it with a medicine dropper. (Of course, you'll need more iver from the mother bottle then.) Just apply it where you might have felt itching or bumps.

The question is how often? There is no answer. I don't know if it's better to do it for a week straight 1x per month. OR to do it for an entire month! and then wait.

I think as you're killing the top ones off the eggs are signaled to hatch. So you want to kill the new ones off as soon as they come up. You might try for a week and then take 3 weeks off. If your skin is still good maybe do One night then and wait again.

You don't know how many more will rise up, how deep they were (so gross, I know!).

Once you think you are rid of them, yes, prophylactically is a good idea -- even one night a month. ALSO, by then you can use essential oils -- like tea tree oil to kill off the infrequent new ones. You can buy commercial beauty cream with tto, or just mix some with another oil. You can dot it over moisturizer or over sea buck thorn oil.

The best time is at bed time. I also medicine drop tto and lavender essential oil into my hair overnight. Prolly best the night before you're going to wash your hair.

The only time I felt a side effect was the first time I used the iver. There was massive die off, which made me feel like I had a cold.

Oh, when you first put on the iver (Ivomec is the brand) it'll feel oddly warm. This passes in about a minute. Rarely people are allergic to something in the solution, so then they can't use it.

G