Thread: Bad Reaction from IPL

Angry Bad Reaction from IPL

I had an IPL treatment almost three months ago and still have what appear to be scars from this treatment. I have had many IPL treatments in the past, with only slight coffee-ground looking striping that disappeared after several days. With this last treatment, my eyes were swollen shut the next morning, my face in general was extremely swollen, and I had what my primary care doctor said were 2nd degree burns in a few places (one blistered, opened, and drained clear fluid for several days). For the most part, all of these things have resolved. What remains are two dark spots, one about thumbprint sized on my upper cheeks, in which the underlying tissue is depressed. This is where the nurse applied extra pressure with the device to "cauterize the deeper vessels" of the rosacea I have on my cheeks. The surface skin texture is sort of fragile looking in these areas and shinier than surrounding tissue. The spa owner told me that the nurse used 35 joules (she said the RN "jacked the power WAY up"), but I don't know what the equipment type is. I am fair skinned, but tan easily. I'm wondering if this setting was much too high for me, if what I've described will heal, and if there is anything I can do to expedite the healing. I was given a skin lightening agent and a couple of oxygen treatments. Not even cover-up makeup hides these spots. I look sort of like a football player with the black stripes under the eyes, although it's not quite that distinct. I'm just getting very tired of having these obvious marks on my face. Anyone have advice?
    Last edited by SkisAlot; 3rd July 2010 at 03:21 PM.

My advice would be to do nothing with these marks. The skin has an amazing ability to heal itself and if these were burns that I dont think that skin lightening is the best way to go.

My best advice would be to get a good suncream and if you can tolerate it maybe try some rosehip oil.

I would avoid spa places in the future and always go see a derm. In fact it might be worth seeing a derm now.