Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prescribed Metrogel today..what is it?!

Default Prescribed Metrogel today..what is it?!

Im from the UK and finally plucked up the courage to see my doctor today.

For the past two years ive been suffering from persistant facial flushing and redness, I get hot really easily no matter what the weather is like, what ive eaten etc. My cheeks are just always red from the moment I wake. I wear sun protection with an spf of 50 yet still go even redder.

anyway I told the doctor all of this and he said ''sounds like rosacea, and theres something i can prescribe that will help''

with that he shoved a prescription in my hand and I left! The whole thing lasted about two minutes.

SO now im at home staring at a tube of 'metrogel containing metromidazole BP 0.75%'' and I have no idea if its the right thing for me, and im not fully aware how to use it.

The leaflet doesnt say if youre sposed to put this gel on before or after you cleanse and moisturise, or if youre not meant to do those things at all. ANd what about sunscreen? After applying the gel is it ok to apply sunscreen etc?

Im just confused because reading the leaflet, it doesnt sound like it helps facial flushing, redness and hotness at all, so can anyone shed some light on this?

thanks!
    Last edited by ajb.23; 17th June 2010 at 02:46 PM.

Welcome! The Metrogel your dr. prescribed is a typical medicine for Rosacea. Generally, you should wash your face, wait 10 or 15 minutes and then apply the Metrogel. You should do this once or twice a day. After the Metrogel dries, you can apply moisturizer. Metrogel is supposed to help with the pimples and blemishes that go along with rosacea and can somewhat help with redness, though I don't get much help in that regard. In general it works by reducing inflammation.

To help with your flushing and redness, you will need to figure out what things trigger flushing for you. Common things are sunlight, warm weather and warm rooms, wind, extreme cold, certain foods, hot temperature foods and beverages, and spicy foods. There are lists of triggers all over the place online and it is different for everyone so you will need to pay attention to your body and it's reactions in order to alleviate the flushing. Try doing a Google search for "Rosacea triggers" and you will find good information. Also be patient since figuring this all out and finding what works for you can take time.

You've come to a great place for information and support. I wish you the best of luck figuring out this condition and what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by shrimpy View Post
    Welcome! The Metrogel your dr. prescribed is a typical medicine for Rosacea. Generally, you should wash your face, wait 10 or 15 minutes and then apply the Metrogel. You should do this once or twice a day. After the Metrogel dries, you can apply moisturizer. Metrogel is supposed to help with the pimples and blemishes that go along with rosacea and can somewhat help with redness, though I don't get much help in that regard. In general it works by reducing inflammation.

To help with your flushing and redness, you will need to figure out what things trigger flushing for you. Common things are sunlight, warm weather and warm rooms, wind, extreme cold, certain foods, hot temperature foods and beverages, and spicy foods. There are lists of triggers all over the place online and it is different for everyone so you will need to pay attention to your body and it's reactions in order to alleviate the flushing. Try doing a Google search for "Rosacea triggers" and you will find good information. Also be patient since figuring this all out and finding what works for you can take time.

You've come to a great place for information and support. I wish you the best of luck figuring out this condition and what works for you.

Thankyou for the information...I really do not think this is the right medication for me at all. I dont get any pimples, postules or blemishes, its purely a constant flushed, red tone to my cheeks.

AS for triggers, Im honestly sick of trying to figure it out. Im PERMANENTLY flushed and red, it gets worse in cold and hot weather, when I bend over, if I drink any type of hot/cold drink....what annoys me about most 'trigger lists' are that they include most aspects of everyday life, so it makes it even harder to define!

Im fair skinned and fair haired so I know sometimes people like me do get red rosy cheeks but Ive never been this bad, I hate going out in public now and people at work always tease me about it.

I just wish they could come up with a product to cool the face down and reduce flushing in the cheeks.

I just took this picture to show you my redness :

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/645/s6001939.jpg

do you thnik ive got the right medication?

what annoys me about most 'trigger lists' are that they include most aspects of everyday life, so it makes it even harder to define!
    Yep, it pretty much sucks, eh? I can say that this past year I seemed to be flushing from most everything until I found this forum. The last two months, however, have been much better. The things I have figured out that I need to avoid are hot drinks, hot food, spicy food, and extended cold. I found that being in a cold room for too long caused me to have a rebound flush as soon as I have an environmental change. I also learned that I need to avoid alcohol most days, though not necessarily completely. Once my flushing subsided, I found I can have a few drinks once or twice a week and mildly spicy food every so often. The other thing that I think has helped my flushing is using low level light therapy. I bought a Britebox Revive light box for my home and use it every day or two and it seems to make a difference. Maybe some of this will help?

As for the Metrogel, I can't really say whether you have the right medication. I use Noritate cream (same active ingredient as Metrogel) and I find it helps with my pimples and does help with redness a little bit but not a lot. Perhaps try it for a month and see how it goes?

Has noone else got any insights into metrogel?

Looking at your pic, there are a few pimple looking spots on your left cheek and a few on your forehead. That's how it sort of started with me a year ago after flushing for a few months. Maybe the metrogel is the right medication?

ajb,
    I agree with Shrimpy. That's the way it started with me...the redness and flushing and then came the p&p's. I do see one or two there as well! That's what the metrogel is for. For me, low dose doxy is what helps manage the inflammation that is associated with redness. I use MetroCream (which is less drying than the gel) for the p&p's.

If you haven't yet, I would suggest snooping around on this forum for some information. What you have in this forum is a compilation of many years of individual experiences resulting from trial and error. We have ALL been exactly where you are starting out angry and looking to rid ourselves of this immediately. Even though each of us have very different triggers with food and elements, we all have one thing in common: the need to figure out what our specific triggers are to manage the flares. That's why we are all here....for help and guidance from those that understand. I realize that figuring out your triggers is a total drag and after 10 years I have finally figured out how to manage mine. I will say that the medicines that I have been prescribed for this, including metrocream, require patience and continual use in order to see improvement. Sadly, it is not overnight and can take one, two, three months to see a difference. My trigger list, for what it's worth, leaves me with basically a bland diet. I decided a few years ago that I was tired of wearing it on my face so I do the best that I can to avoid making matters worse.
    Mild Subtype 2
    Metrocream 2x/day until 8/2010
    Over the counter Prosacea....this dries out my p&p's when all else fails.
    Dermalogica's Sensitized Line
    Sunscreen: Clinique's City Block
    VBeam: 9 joules/cm2@ 10ms pulse duration
    Plaquenil 400mg/day

Hi thanks for the replies, yes I guess there were a few pimples haha I didnt even realise!

And yes Ive been flushing like this for two years so ive EXHAUSTED every website, messageboard etc about causes and what helps, nothing seems to work with me. Ive tried every conceivable change in diet, products used etc..I just seem to wake up flushed every morning regardless/

Im still confused about this gel and when to apply it, is it ok to apply moisturiser and then sunscreen after putting the gel on?

Quote Originally Posted by ajb.23 View Post
    is it ok to apply moisturiser and then sunscreen after putting the gel on?
    yep! it's normal to wait a while between applying prescription topicals and applying the cosmetic-type stuff. shrimpy (above) suggested waiting until the Metrogel dries. i usually try to give it about a half hour, unless i'm really rushed ... hope that helps - and hope the Metrogel helps too!

My prescription is to apply twice a day after cleansing. I believe this is fairly consistent since it's an antibiotic you have to keep it going. So, I put it on after I clean my face in the morning (after my shower) and then again at night before bed. I let it soak in for about 10-15 minutes before putting on moisturizer and I always put on sunscreen for the day. Most sunscreens irritate my face but City Block from Clinique doesn't. I have found that if I don't let the metrocream soak in and put something on over it right away, the moisturizer or sunscreen burns a little. This might just be me and this routine was trial and error. Again, the metrogel for me was too drying so I switched to the cream.
    I hope this helps at least a little!

Sharon
    Last edited by windsor90; 19th June 2010 at 11:00 AM.
    Mild Subtype 2
    Metrocream 2x/day until 8/2010
    Over the counter Prosacea....this dries out my p&p's when all else fails.
    Dermalogica's Sensitized Line
    Sunscreen: Clinique's City Block
    VBeam: 9 joules/cm2@ 10ms pulse duration
    Plaquenil 400mg/day