Thread: Can I take ibuprofen and zyrtec if I'm on Oracea?

Default Can I take ibuprofen and zyrtec if I'm on Oracea?

I searched online and didn't find any info regarding any interactions between the 3, but I just wanted to make sure it was ok.

Also, I eat a decent amount of dairy, Is this ok while on Oracea? I'm finding info that you shouldn't take calcium supplements with Oracea, but I"m not sure about natural calcium supplements.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Sorry, I'm meant natural sources of calcium, not calcium supplements in the last sentence

Yes it's OK but make sure space any calcium (and iron, magnesium, zinc and aluminum) a few hours apart from doxy as it can bind to it and make it less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Yes it's OK but make sure space any calcium (and iron, magnesium, zinc and aluminum) a few hours apart from doxy as it can bind to it and make it less effective.
    thank you Melissa W - and thank you SaraL for asking! i've been wondering the same thing, since i'm thinking of asking my dermatologist to let me try low-dose doxy. i'm still puzzled, though: part of the Oracea dose is time-released, isn't it? so how does one time one's intake of dairy and supplements around that? calcium and magnesium supplements are part of my routine for a non-dermal health situation, so i can't just stop taking them.

and as long as i'm here: i'm finding mixed messages on line about whether women need to take Flucofast or somesuch to avoid vaginal candida when taking Oracea. is candida a likely side effect?

thanks for any available clarity!
    dora

thank you Melissa W - and thank you SaraL for asking! i've been wondering the same thing, since i'm thinking of asking my dermatologist to let me try low-dose doxy. i'm still puzzled, though: part of the Oracea dose is time-released, isn't it? so how does one time one's intake of dairy and supplements around that? calcium and magnesium supplements are part of my routine for a non-dermal health situation, so i can't just stop taking them.
    The majority of the doxy (30 mg) gets released immediately and the other 10 mg gets released throughout the day so you are fine if you take the Oracea and just wait a few hours before taking your supplements. I take calcium, magnesium, zinc supplements and just wait a few hours after my Oracea. In fact, I usually take my supplements with a midday meal. It is only a small part of doxy that is getting released throughout the day so it shouldn't affect it in any major way.

Just make sure to take the Oracea with a full glass of water.

Best,
    Melissa

Dora,

My derm informed me not to worry about yeast infections while on Oracea. I can't remember exactly what she said, but I think the dose is low enough and time released so that your body is only benefiting from the anti inflammatory affect, I don't think bacteria is being killed off in the body. With that said, I think I read about some experiencing yeast infections while on Oracea, it could be coincidence, I'm not sure. Perhaps another member has more info. Also Dora, If you decide to go on Oracea, ask your derm/gp about the Oracea $25 card. The card allows you to never pay more than $25 for your prescription, with or without insurance. You can also apply for the Oracea and Metrogel savings card online at the Oracea website. Although, I'm not sure if the savings card is different from the $25 card.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraL View Post
    Dora,

My derm informed me not to worry about yeast infections while on Oracea. I can't remember exactly what she said, but I think the dose is low enough and time released so that your body is only benefiting from the anti inflammatory affect, I don't think bacteria is being killed off in the body. With that said, I think I read about some experiencing yeast infections while on Oracea, it could be coincidence, I'm not sure. Perhaps another member has more info. Also Dora, If you decide to go on Oracea, ask your derm/gp about the Oracea $25 card. The card allows you to never pay more than $25 for your prescription, with or without insurance. You can also apply for the Oracea and Metrogel savings card online at the Oracea website. Although, I'm not sure if the savings card is different from the $25 card.
    thank you, SaraL - yeah, i thought Oracea "shouldn't" lead to yeast infections, but i read on line that some people were experiencing them - i guess it could be a coincidence? then i noticed that the "patient information" sheet includes a caveat to inform your doctor if you've got a history of yeast infections, so i'm confused as usual!

and thanks for the thought about the discount card, but i don't think it functions where i live (Central Europe). i'm actually not sure Oracea is even available here, but maybe my dermatologist will at least give me a scrip for low-dose doxy.

i'm actually not sure Oracea is even available here, but maybe my dermatologist will at least give me a scrip for low-dose doxy.
    Lo dose doxy can make you more prone to yeast infections as it is not submicrobial like Oracea so if you do go this route be aware of this fact and you should take a probiotic. Oracea is submicrobial and purely anti-inflammatory in action whereas lo dose doxy is a bit higher of a dose making it somewhat antibacterial in action and therefore has the potential to upset the bacterial flora of our bodies.