Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My seb derm frustrations. Raw honey ups and downs...

How's the "Born to be Mild" working out? I'm on day 3 and feeling less itchy today. Maybe a bit more rough and dry but I'll take less itchy anyday. I don't think it's reduced redness yet.

Quote Originally Posted by shrimpy View Post
    How's the "Born to be Mild" working out? I'm on day 3 and feeling less itchy today. Maybe a bit more rough and dry but I'll take less itchy anyday. I don't think it's reduced redness yet.
    Glad you're less itchy! It's working out okay for me. I washed with it again this evening and folowed up with a honey mask (which I have on at the moment). My redness has really subsided over the last couple of days and my face today is almost back to its original pale ivory colour. I don't get any stinging or discomfort from the cleanser anymore either. It's hard to say whether the born to be mild is doing much though because I'm using it alongside honey and coconut oil. I think it's probably helping though.
    Rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis.

Symptoms:
    Itchy red rash across cheeks, chin and eyebrow region, bumpy skin texture, flaking skin.

Current treatments:
    Avoid cold, eat simple foods, avoid sugars.
    Probiotics every day and honey masks every other day.

My skin is still going up and down. It's frustrating me.

The crustiness all disappeared at the weekend and my pinkness had gone down a lot, but not completely and my cheeks were itching a little yesterday... of course today they're looking a bit bumpy and pink today. Not awful or anything, but enough of a warning that the seb derm is getting worse again. Also, my forehead never cleared up as well as it did the first time. It just didn't. I don't know why. I treated it exactly the same but it remained bumpy and annoying.

I wish probiotics were cheaper because these things are costing me a fortune. The water kefir is cheap but I'm not sure yet how much I trust it (after all it's brewing in my own kitchen and I am inexperienced! eeek! It's tasty but I really don't know if I'm doing it right.)

(I do wish people would not comment on my face looking "so much better" because invariably when they do I am worse again the next day. JINXED. Gaaah!)

Symptoms:
    Itchy red rash across cheeks, chin and eyebrow region, bumpy skin texture, flaking skin.

Current treatments:

Hi LadyBee,

Would you mind posting a photo?

How much sugar are you consuming at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyBee View Post

I wish probiotics were cheaper because these things are costing me a fortune. The water kefir is cheap but I'm not sure yet how much I trust it (after all it's brewing in my own kitchen and I am inexperienced! eeek! It's tasty but I really don't know if I'm doing it right.)
    It's a very simple brew, safe and very easy to make. If you are brewing in a glass jar, using plastic utensils, using spring water (or non-chlorinated) and, while brewing, the liquid looks translucent, smells slightly yeasty, and you can see air bubbles rising, you are doing it right.

If after brewing for two or three days the liquid remains as clear and sweet as the first day and you see no air bubbles, the kefir grains may be dead.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Okay, I'm just uploading some photos and will post them shortly.

Sugar - I haven't been eating any more than usual. I rarely eat anything sweet anyway. I do eat a lot of carbs because I'm trying to gain weight, but I haven't increased my carb intake recently, nor changed anything else in my diet lately (apart from the addition of kefir).

It could be a hormonal influence, maybe.

Or it could just be my mind playing games with me because I find the more progress my skin makes, the more critical I am and the more difficult it is to accurately gauge my progress with my own eyes. I find that I just get really hyper-aware of every trace of the seb derm.

It's a very simple brew, safe and very easy to make. If you are brewing in a glass jar, using plastic utensils, using spring water (or non-chlorinated) and, while brewing, the liquid looks translucent, smells slightly yeasty, and you can see air bubbles rising, you are doing it right.

If after brewing for two or three days the liquid remains as clear and sweet as the first day and you see no air bubbles, the kefir grains may be dead.
    Oh good. I think I'm doing it right then. My kefir is definitely not dead. :] It's actually grown a bit since I got it, and the drink does taste a lot different after a couple of days - not really sweet anymore, slightly fizzy and yes it smells yeasty while brewing. So maybe it is working alright after all.

As a probiotic, is kefir better than probiotic capsules from health food shops etc.? I'm just wondering, if I'm drinking this, maybe I can stop taking the capsules? They're so expensive and I know I can't afford to keep buying them at the rate I get through them. But I think it was MasK who said that he takes supplements AND drinks kefir! I don't know if it's necessary to take both but, well, all I can say is it would be nice if I could stop shelling out so much money on probiotic capsules from the health food shop!! I guess if I remember to make new kefir as soon as I strain a batch, I should have a constant supply so hopefully that will be enough to hold off the fungus.

Anyway. Pics in a sec.

Symptoms:

Current treatments:

Cheeks, right and then left:
    -

Looking at the first picture of my right cheek, in comparison to the one from last week there is definitely a difference. Maybe I'm just being impatient! Still a way to go until my skin is as good as it used to be, but I think I'm still doing okay. Just got to keep going.
    Last edited by LadyBee; 8th June 2010 at 02:33 PM.

Symptoms:

Current treatments:

You definitely look paler than in the earlier pictures. I think you're being impatient with the treatment, understandably of course. I think Born to Be Mild is helping me. I'm taking a week off of the honey masks to better monitor my progress with the cleanser but next week I'll put honey back in the mix and hopefully it will be even better. I find I'm impatient too and really preoccupied with any increased roughness or flakiness. I'm thinking the flakiness is a sign of layers of seb derm healing but I could be fooling myself..

Or it could just be my mind playing games with me because I find the more progress my skin makes, the more critical I am and the more difficult it is to accurately gauge my progress with my own eyes. I find that I just get really hyper-aware of every trace of the seb derm.
    How about taking the focus off the seb derm for a while? Not looking in the mirror more than just a couple of times a day certainly helps. You have a beautiful face and your skin looks in pretty good shape.

Oh good. I think I'm doing it right then. My kefir is definitely not dead. :] It's actually grown a bit since I got it, and the drink does taste a lot different after a couple of days - not really sweet anymore, slightly fizzy and yes it smells yeasty while brewing. So maybe it is working alright after all.

As a probiotic, is kefir better than probiotic capsules from health food shops etc.? I'm just wondering, if I'm drinking this, maybe I can stop taking the capsules?
    Well, you know how it is, people will tell you different things based on what they choose to believe but since freshly made water kefir can average a microbial count of 10 billion cfu/ml and a 500 ml glass of homemade kefir may contain over 5 trillion beneficial microorganisms, it seems to me that two or three glasses of water kefir per day provide a lot more healthy bacteria/yeasts than the expensive supplements.

all I can say is it would be nice if I could stop shelling out so much money on probiotic capsules from the health food shop!!
    See how you feel taking just the homemade kefir for a while.

I guess if I remember to make new kefir as soon as I strain a batch, I should have a constant supply so hopefully that will be enough to hold off the fungus.
    Sounds like a good plan . Strain and brew a new one right away, yes. Keep it going and it'll keep you healthy.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Still a way to go until my skin is as good as it used to be, but I think I'm still doing okay. Just got to keep going.
    Your skin may never look again as perfect as it used to, remember that seb derm is a chronic condition. You are doing remarkably well, at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Your skin may never look again as perfect as it used to, remember that seb derm is a chronic condition. You are doing remarkably well, at the moment.
    That's true... mind you I've had mild seb derm since my teens so I think I'd be happy just to get it back to "mild" again. I'm trying not to set my expectations tooooooo high. What I'd really ilke though is to keep it at bay long enough to see my eyebrows grow back (you can see from the photos how sparse and patchy they've become - I swear I haven't touched my eyebrows in years - I don't pluck them etc. - but the hairs kept falling out because the eczema invaded them over and over.)

Symptoms:

Current treatments: