Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What time of day is rosacea the worst?

Quote Originally Posted by Celticgirl View Post
    Mine gets worse in the evenings as well. I find after I have eaten it flares up really badly. If I eat a warm soup for lunch my nose actually tingles and goes red at the end!
    Hi! I have issues with "nose flushing" myself, with the tingling just prior. For me, I can gauge how bad the nose flushing will be later (when body temp rises naturally in evening, or after a warm meal, eg) according to how cold my nose is currently. (I don't even realize my nose is too cold until I touch it and/or compare nose temps with my friends/family haha.) If I can manage to generally keep my nose at a stable temp (not too cold), then I find nose flushing to be minimal.

My impression is that tingling is more often associated with the vasospasm of a Raynaud's-like phenomenon than pure rosacea. Because of the structure of the nose, I think it tends to trap its own blood -- esp. at the nosetip -- when its blood vessels dilate which might emphasize the redness + slow down drainage

FYI Caffeine in the morning (which tends to constrict the blood vessels) can make it worse with the rebound. Same thing I believe with clonidine/beta blockers (sometimes).

I've recently found 800 mg ibuprofen to help with the nose flushing (and flushing in general). Lower doses didn't do much

I'm curious if you found your nose to be "too cold" right before the soup or lunch or whatever?
    Last edited by laser_cat; 9th December 2017 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Hi! I have issues with "nose flushing" myself, with the tingling just prior. For me, I can gauge how bad the nose flushing will be later (when body temp rises naturally in evening, or after a warm meal, eg) according to how cold my nose is currently. (I don't even realize my nose is too cold until I touch it and/or compare nose temps with my friends/family haha.) If I can manage to generally keep my nose at a stable temp (not too cold), then I find nose flushing to be minimal.

My impression is that tingling is more often associated with the vasospasm of a Raynaud's-like phenomenon than pure rosacea. Because of the structure of the nose, I think it tends to trap its own blood -- esp. at the nosetip -- when its blood vessels dilate which might emphasize the redness + slow down drainage

FYI Caffeine in the morning (which tends to constrict the blood vessels) can make it worse with the rebound. Same thing I believe with clonidine/beta blockers (sometimes).

I've recently found 800 mg ibuprofen to help with the nose flushing (and flushing in general). Lower doses didn't do much

I'm curious if you found your nose to be "too cold" right before the soup or lunch or whatever?

I don't have nose flushing per se...but interestingly enough, I do experience the cold nose thing before I flare or flush, which I experience mostly in my cheeks. I wish there was such thing as a nose beanie to help keep it warm in the winter!!

M.

I don't have any problems when I drink coffee, it seems only to be alcohol or a warm dinner in the evenings. I do notice if I go for a walk and my nose is cold, then I eat something warm that it flares up. It has got better though since I came off the artificial hormones.

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    I don't have nose flushing per se...but interestingly enough, I do experience the cold nose thing before I flare or flush, which I experience mostly in my cheeks. I wish there was such thing as a nose beanie to help keep it warm in the winter!!

M.
    Interesting!

haha

https://www.amazon.com/Aunt-Martys-O.../dp/B00MVAS4XC

I actually bought one of these ... but the yarn just made my nose itchy :p

I actually bought one of these ... but the yarn just made my nose itchy :p
    lol! You are the best! They should definitely make them out of soft fleece!

I don't have any problems when I drink coffee, it seems only to be alcohol or a warm dinner in the evenings. I do notice if I go for a walk and my nose is cold, then I eat something warm that it flares up. It has got better though since I came off the artificial hormones.
    I've found I recently can't tolerate estrogen/progesterone birth control pills myself. I feel irritated when I think that actually, the *best* thing I've done this year for my flushing was coming off of the pill ... which is something that wasn't even considered by any derm. And I've tried ~30 different drugs rx'ed by derms... ugh!

I'm curious if your flushing is good/bad at different times during your menstrual cycle?

Thanks!

I've found I recently can't tolerate estrogen/progesterone birth control pills myself. I feel irritated when I think that actually, the *best* thing I've done this year for my flushing was coming off of the pill ... which is something that wasn't even considered by any derm. And I've tried ~30 different drugs rx'ed by derms... ugh!

I'm curious if your flushing is good/bad at different times during your menstrual cycle?

Thanks!
    The contraceptive pill didn't really effect it that much, neither did my cycle. Only the levothyroxine made it really bad. Taking iodine and selenium seemed to help, as did ditching the levothyroxine.

The contraceptive pill didn't really effect it that much, neither did my cycle. Only the levothyroxine made it really bad. Taking iodine and selenium seemed to help, as did ditching the levothyroxine.
    Ohhhh I see. Thanks!

There is an interesting book called 'The Power of When' which looks at different people's habits regarding their daily schedules (e.g. waking up early or late, the times people eat, take medications etc). It is quite helpful to help think about daily patterns of rosacea flushing. I find that if I don't eat a heavy meal late then I flush less during the night, but I prefer to eat late. Sugar, nightshades, wheat, rice, dairy etc can all cause flushing whether the meal is hot or only luke warm or even cold. I agree if the meal is piping hot it will potentially cause more flushing, but a lot less if it doesn't have foods in that provoke the rosacea.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-When-Le...3761216&sr=8-1

Thanks!
    Hi again
    My flushing/sensetivety, in general, is very much connected to my cycle.. very. The days before my period starts to about one week post my period I am basically flush free
    nowadays (as you know, a year ago it was every day gosh( glad its getting better). Ovulation is my most critical time and after that I am a little unstable until a few days before it starts again. This pretty much follows the hormonal fluctuations over the month. I am absolutely sure that rosacea, for some women, is effected by hormones. But it interacts with other things etc etc..

Also regarding particular nose problems, its a quite common problem for pregnant women to get issues with the nose during pregnancy, swelling inside, stuffy and such, which is a know hormonal phenomena.

I believe that one way to minimize rosacea can be to try to stabilize hormones, exactly how to do it and to get a doctor to listen to it is harder though... as many of us know however its a theory and there are quite a few natural herbs that can help stabilizing hormones.

Very much warmth!!
    V