Thread: SIBO, Dairy and Rosacea????

Default SIBO, Dairy and Rosacea????

I just read something interesting and am wondering what your thots are on this, For me elimination of dairy means elimination of rosacea....but I still dont understand the "why" and I would surly like to, as it is difficult to go to restaurants and "screen" food

So maybe there is a connection between SIBO and dairy intolerance, I am thinking.

Does anyone know about a relationship between these two?

(I posted the article below)

There's an interesting piece in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosacea that may be relevant. As always treat Wikipedia with caution.

"Intestinal bacteria may play a role in causing the disease. A recent study subjected patients to a hydrogen breath test to determine the occurrence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). It was found that patients had a significantly higher incidence than controls (47% v. 5%, p<0.001). SIBO-positive patients were then given a 10-day course of rifaximin, an antibiotic that does not leave the digestive tract and therefore cannot reach the skin or circulation. 96% of patients experienced a complete remission of rosacea symptoms that lasted at least 9 months. These patients were also negative when retested for bacterial overgrowth. In the 4% of patients that had experienced relapse, it was found that bacterial overgrowth had returned, and a second course of antibiotic treatment again produced temporary remission.[11] In another study, it was found that some rosacea patients that tested SIBO-negative using a hydrogen breath test, were still positive when using a methane breath test instead. These patients did not respond to rifaximin, as found in the previous study, but experienced clearance of rosacea symptoms and normalization of breath tests following administration of the antibiotic metronidazole, which is effective at targeting methanogenic anaerobic bacteria, such as would be found in the intestines.[12] These results suggest diverse strains of intestinal bacteria may be responsible for mediating these effects in patients."

Are you lactose intolerant?

Basically, there are a variety of ways by which you can create inflamed intestines. If you are lactose intolerant, eating dairy is going to contribute to inflammation in the gut; or if, say, you're wheat-intolerant, or fructose-intolerant, a different bunch of foods are going to inflame.

The gut contains the most developed immune system in the entire body. If the lining of the intestines gets inflamed, then it does seem to wreak havoc in other parts of the body: inflammatory cells get distributed throughout tissue, bacteria can translocate through the bloodstream, you start developing sensitivities to all sorts of previously-benign agents, etc etc.

SIBO is just another variant. Intestinal bacteria produce gases and irritants that inflame the intestinal wall, prevent proper functioning, prevent absorption and so on.