Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Rhinophyma without any Rosacea symptoms

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.W.Hamilton View Post
    I've booked my appointment with a dermatologist, however, it's in two weeks. Ridiculous, I know.
    No good specialist will have an appointment right away unless you're an emergency case or there's a cancellation. I'd love to find a derm who'd book me in two weeks!

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Also, do you sleep on your side? If the swelling is concentrated on one side it may be the same one you lie on.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I'm really thrilled with the support I am getting from you guys. Honestly, I cannot thank you enough.

    @drums:
    I can't recall ever feeling a sharp pinpoint type pricking feeling in my nose. As I said earlier, I have on occasions felt a tingling feeling, but rarely.

    @redgirl:
    Although I do sleep on my side, I don't always sleep on the same side.

    Whilst I've had a lot of answers, I still haven't had a concrete answer to my main question (bar Brighteyes, Philka29)- Can Rhinophyma occur without any prior typical Rosacea symptoms being evident? Or in other words, is Rhynophyma a separate condition and independent of Rosacea?

    On the one hand, Philka29 says that Rhinophyma occurs after years of uncontrolled Rosacea, but on the other hand, Brighteyes tells me that his Rhinophyma developed two years before any Rosacea symptoms emerged. Of course I am just as confused as you are.

    Without any redness, itching, burning, pp's etc. I'm not entirely sure if my case is purely a Rhinophyma one. The fact that a lot of the swelling seems to be coming from cartilage (not entirely sure, could be thick skin swelling after all), points to other possible conditions which I cannot seem to find any information on (and I have searched high and low!).

    H.W.Hamilton in a phlegmatic sense of being

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Don't stress about cartilage growth. Seriously, if it could grow I'd be a very happy girl. My next nose job will involve liberating ear cartilage to prop this baby up! Plastic surgeon laughed when I asked him why I couldn't just grow more nose cartilage

    Could going to an ear, nose and throat surgeon be a better choice? If it's swelling you've got they're probably better positioned to help you.

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Hi guys
    I have had Rhinophyma for many years and I can guarantee you all that you can have Rhinophyma without Rosacea symptoms but after said that it's common for a Rosacea sufferer to also have Rhinophyma why I don't know.
    The way I see it Rosacea is a vascular problem and Rhinophyma is over producing sebaceous glands that's why we have oily skin on the nose and that will lead to blockage and infection problems. If oil is getting stuck under your skin it will go hard after sometime and there you have the swelling.

    Mats

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern CA, USA
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.W.Hamilton View Post
    I'm really thrilled with the support I am getting from you guys. Honestly, I cannot thank you enough.

    @drums:
    I can't recall ever feeling a sharp pinpoint type pricking feeling in my nose. As I said earlier, I have on occasions felt a tingling feeling, but rarely.

    @redgirl:
    Although I do sleep on my side, I don't always sleep on the same side.

    Whilst I've had a lot of answers, I still haven't had a concrete answer to my main question (bar Brighteyes, Philka29)- Can Rhinophyma occur without any prior typical Rosacea symptoms being evident? Or in other words, is Rhynophyma a separate condition and independent of Rosacea?

    On the one hand, Philka29 says that Rhinophyma occurs after years of uncontrolled Rosacea, but on the other hand, Brighteyes tells me that his Rhinophyma developed two years before any Rosacea symptoms emerged. Of course I am just as confused as you are.

    Without any redness, itching, burning, pp's etc. I'm not entirely sure if my case is purely a Rhinophyma one. The fact that a lot of the swelling seems to be coming from cartilage (not entirely sure, could be thick skin swelling after all), points to other possible conditions which I cannot seem to find any information on (and I have searched high and low!).

    H.W.Hamilton in a phlegmatic sense of being
    You won't get a concrete answer from an internet forum because it's nigh impossible to GIVE a concrete answer on this subject, in this context, and without medical expertise.

    What we can give you are odds: the odds of you having Rhinophyma, at such a young age, without any redness, itching, burning, tingling, or any other signs of it ... are slim. Not impossible - but certainly unlikely. That's as concrete, I think, as anyone can get around here.

    Def. see a doctor. If you are experiencing discomfort and inflammation - and cartilage growth! - you may be dealing with something more serious than rosacea - or just a bruise of some kind, not a big deal at all. No way to know from here. So, no worries until you have something definite to worry about, okay? Take care!
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern CA, USA
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    Hi guys
    I have had Rhinophyma for many years and I can guarantee you all that you can have Rhinophyma without Rosacea symptoms but after said that it's common for a Rosacea sufferer to also have Rhinophyma why I don't know.
    The way I see it Rosacea is a vascular problem and Rhinophyma is over producing sebaceous glands that's why we have oily skin on the nose and that will lead to blockage and infection problems. If oil is getting stuck under your skin it will go hard after sometime and there you have the swelling.

    Mats
    Mats, you have had Rhinophyma without any redness or swelling at all? Just skin that thickened without any other signs?
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Hi there

    No mate I have had and still have Rhinophyma without any Rosacea symptoms as the red butterfly or burning feelings.

    Yes I have redness and swellings on the nose only because the sebaceous oil getting trapped under the skin and that started the infections and some pimples around the infected areas.

    A derm did tell me that Rhinophyma and Rosacea are so different and should probably not be in the same category as I stated Rosacea is a vascular problem and Rhinophyma is over producing sebaceous glands but off course you can have both at the same time.

    Anyway after using Accutane 10 mg a day for years the swelling has gone down a lot and it has stopped most of the oil production but I don't want to be on the drug forever so I'm always looking for other solutions.

    Lately I have been trying the topical MMS a few weeks now with very good results as it also drying my skin and has killed most of the infections.

  9. #19
    Senior Member queta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    707

    Default

    I agree with the statement that rhinophyma and rosacea may be two separate conditions. You might have the subtype of rosacea known as phymatous rosacea. You can have phymatous rosacea in the absence of other types. I have seen more than one person with pale skin that shows phymatous changes. I have phymatous rosacea but also have other types. My main problem, though, is the phymatous swelling, lumpy/bumpy appearance, orange peel texture, etc. For years I didn't know I had rosacea because I wasn't very red-I just thought I had "bad skin" and was unattractive. The good news is that with treatment you can often reverse the problem if you start early enough (I went untreated for over 20 years and have still managed to reverse a lot of it.) So take heart that you can treat it. Very low dose isotrenin may be a good option if you indeed have phymatous rosacea.
    Regards
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  10. #20
    Senior Member queta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    Hi there

    No mate I have had and still have Rhinophyma without any Rosacea symptoms as the red butterfly or burning feelings.

    Yes I have redness and swellings on the nose only because the sebaceous oil getting trapped under the skin and that started the infections and some pimples around the infected areas.

    A derm did tell me that Rhinophyma and Rosacea are so different and should probably not be in the same category as I stated Rosacea is a vascular problem and Rhinophyma is over producing sebaceous glands but off course you can have both at the same time.

    Anyway after using Accutane 10 mg a day for years the swelling has gone down a lot and it has stopped most of the oil production but I don't want to be on the drug forever so I'm always looking for other solutions.

    Lately I have been trying the topical MMS a few weeks now with very good results as it also drying my skin and has killed most of the infections.
    Mats
    Have you tried topical spironlactone at all?
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Similar Threads

  1. Diagnosing Rhinophyma without rosacea symptoms
    By zero33 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st December 2012, 09:43 PM
  2. Rhinophyma without any Rosacea symptoms
    By H.W.Hamilton in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 18th August 2010, 04:03 AM
  3. Other Symptoms of Rosacea
    By alliecat in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th October 2009, 11:22 PM
  4. New to rosacea, are these symptoms?
    By JimJo in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10th April 2009, 11:39 PM
  5. My rosacea symptoms are 95% gone
    By queta in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 5th March 2008, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •