Thread: IPL 2 weeks ago - much redder so far

Default IPL 2 weeks ago - much redder so far

Hi all,
    Not posted for a while, so a bit of background. I've had many treatments overs the years - IPL, PDL, ndYAG etc etc. I've not had much in the way of reduction in redness or flushing, but the treatments do keep things stable. I certainly know about it if I go more than 8 months without a treatment.

My last IPL was probably the best yet. A slight reduction in redness and much more tolerant skin. I could have occasional "bad" food and get away with it

Not on to today. I had IPL 2 weeks ago with the same settings as the previous IPL which proved so positive.
    However, this time my skin is a right mess. Much redder and flushier. I also had the biggest seb derm flare of my life! The seb derm has settled now (though its always quite bad) but the extra redness remains.

Perhaps its still seb derm causing the major redness, but I'm worried about angiogenesis. Or maybe I just haven't given it long enough?

I remember Dr. Crouch telling us that IPL can worsen Seb Derb for some reason, so he follows it with another laser, I don't remember which one. Perhaps somebody else remembers?

Please don't fret about the redness post IPL-- I've repeatedly seen that the improvement from them is not linear. It's cumulative, it takes a while to see results, and it will certainly be calmer in two weeks than it is now!
    58 yr old woman
    Rosacea at 48, debilitating at 52
    Clonidine 100mgc ev. 8 hrs;
    Remeron 15mg nightly;
    Zebeta=Bisoprolol=Beta blocker 5mg nightly;
    Brimonidine worked well initially, then MASSIVE rebound flushing and damage;
    Countless IPL with Lumenis One;
    Now purpuric V Beam with Candela Perfecta; more clearance, less downtime than IPL;
    Botox (with mesotherapy needles), good not great results;
    Monthly Kenalog injection to blunt debilitating flushing.

Thanks WrinkledClue.
    I'm going to go on the strict no sugar, wheat and dairy diet again. Hate it, but I hate rosacea more!
    I also think ill stick to pdl in the future. Much slower progress, but at least its treating seb derm at the same time then.

Looking at your signature, can I ask what pdl settings you have?

Hi Flemmo,

I don't know what my V Beam settings are, and my wonderful V Beam doctor changes them a bit each time.

We used to move between purpuric and non-purpuric treatments, searching for the one that would give me the most clearance. It does seem that purpuric wins, hands down. It's a shame, because the down time afterwards is much greater.

I CAN tell you that he does two passes on me.

The first one has a very long pulse duration of something like 40ms-- he says that goes deeper, to hit the deeper vessels that enable the flushing; and

The second pass has a much shorter pulse duration, maybe something like .4ms-- he says that goes shallower, and hits the superficial visible redness.

At my insistence, he now tries to bruise with each pass.

My rosacea is so devouring and aggressive that it seems to need the horrific bruising treatments to push it back. Remember your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.
    58 yr old woman
    Rosacea at 48, debilitating at 52
    Clonidine 100mgc ev. 8 hrs;
    Remeron 15mg nightly;
    Zebeta=Bisoprolol=Beta blocker 5mg nightly;
    Brimonidine worked well initially, then MASSIVE rebound flushing and damage;
    Countless IPL with Lumenis One;
    Now purpuric V Beam with Candela Perfecta; more clearance, less downtime than IPL;
    Botox (with mesotherapy needles), good not great results;
    Monthly Kenalog injection to blunt debilitating flushing.

Hi chris
    Sorry to hear you your last one didnt go aswell i had a similar problem my one in april went really well but my last one in june didnt go so well i think it was because i was having skin problems at the time and made the mistake of going for the treatment so i didnt see any benefit from the treatment. How was your skin when you went for the last one? Sam x

Quote Originally Posted by WrinkledClue View Post
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks WrinkledClue, some really useful info there. Much appreciated
    I had purpuric pdl 3 years ago. It certainly cut through the redness nicely, but left that polkadot appearance. I also took 10 weeks for the bruising to go which took its toll emotionally.
    I'm sure my skin would be great now if I were brave enough to go purple each time lol.

How are you finding the brimonidine? Do you have any rebound?

Quote Originally Posted by downtown View Post
    Hi chris
    Sorry to hear you your last one didnt go aswell i had a similar problem my one in april went really well but my last one in june didnt go so well i think it was because i was having skin problems at the time and made the mistake of going for the treatment so i didnt see any benefit from the treatment. How was your skin when you went for the last one? Sam x
    Hi Sam. Good to hear from you again, its been a while lol
    My skin had been reasonably calm. Probably best its been since starting with rosacea 4 years ago. Nose was still a mess though. Flushing all the time. I just hope I haven't blown it will this last treatment.
    Looking in the mirror now, it looks like it did when it was at it'd worst

Anyway, how's your skin holding up? Did you have different setting this time or same as the last?

I had the worst seb derm flair following my first IPL session. I was constantly red and flushing. This lasted a few weeks and I thought that it would have made my rosacea permanently worse but it didnt. In fact I still got quite an improvement in my rosacea once everything had settled and I am sure this will be the same for you. The next time I had PDL and IPL together as the PDL can knock back the seb derm flair.