Thread: Oracea dry eye study

Default Oracea dry eye study

Hi all. Rob here in NYC. A regular at Dry Eye Zone, and this is my first post here. ... I have been trying to find out whether Oracea was ever officially indicated for dry eye. I recall reading a 2008 post saying a study was under way by the manufacturer, but could never find a follow up. I've had some luck with low dose doxy treating my post-LASIK dry eye, and am in search of something a little more gentle on my stomach. Thank you.

hey roblic,

I recently switched from doxy to oracea and have found it beneficial to my ocular rosacea. Not sure if it's indicated for use treating "dry eye" since that is a very vague term and as you know there isn't much understanding as to why certain people develop it after lasik.

Hi Rob,

Ocular rosacea treatment is aimed at preventing irritation of the ocular surface and controlling inflammation with topical and systemic anti-inflammatory drugs so that is why Oracea may be helpful regarding ocular rosacea. It acts as an anti-inflammatory.

Btw the reason Lasik is contraindicated in people with dry eye and/or rosacea is because it compromises the corneal integrity and therefore aggravates any preexisting problem. Lasik will exacerbate any surface integrity compromise and that certainly includes ocular rosacea as well as anyone who has dry eyes.

Welcome to the RF.

Best,
    Melissa

Red face

Hey Melissa and BE. Thanks for replying so promptly. I've got about four years experimenting with dry eye treatments. Most people agree I only have mild rosacea, so have never focused on that aspect of things. I've had an unusual amount of refractive surgery - two LASIK flaps etc - and a great deal of corneal volume removed, and that was what "exacerbated" the problem..

So I've put my energy over the years into trying various preparations of cyclosporine or straight high-dose doxy (this board taught me that low dose may be more intelligent...) and steroids. I've let a lot of that go, because it was proving fruitless. I just started IPL in Memphis, and will be considering a return to doxy (perhaps Oracea formulation) if it won't interfere with that.

I guess I keep looking for a silver bullet and I wonder if my docs have missed "ocular rosacea" as a larger culprit. I don't fully understand the relationship between eyelid inflammation from MGD and ocular rosacea. Can they be the same thing?

Best,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by roblic View Post
    Hey Melissa and BE. Thanks for replying so promptly. I've got about four years experimenting with dry eye treatments. Most people agree I only have mild rosacea, so have never focused on that aspect of things. I've had an unusual amount of refractive surgery - two LASIK flaps etc - and a great deal of corneal volume removed, and that was what "exacerbated" the problem..

So I've put my energy over the years into trying various preparations of cyclosporine or straight high-dose doxy (this board taught me that low dose may be more intelligent...) and steroids. I've let a lot of that go, because it was proving fruitless. I just started IPL in Memphis, and will be considering a return to doxy (perhaps Oracea formulation) if it won't interfere with that.

I guess I keep looking for a silver bullet and I wonder if my docs have missed "ocular rosacea" as a larger culprit. I don't fully understand the relationship between eyelid inflammation from MGD and ocular rosacea. Can they be the same thing?

Best,
    Rob
    Hi Rob,

MGD can be one of the signs of ocular rosacea.
    Here is an excellent explanation:
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/mgd.html

Ocular Rosacea is an inflammatory eye condition and can include some or many symptoms/signs. Specific conditions including blepharitis, dry eye, MGD, conjunctivitis, episcleritis, iritis, keratitis, etc.

Ocular complications seem to be independent of the facial rosacea severity and varies quite a bit between individuals just like facial rosacea symptoms do.

The most common symptoms/signs of ocular rosacea are red inflamed lids and crusty lid margins with a gritty feeling (dry eye symptom). These can be caused by MGD but not necessarily.

Best,
    Melissa