Thread: make-up brushes

Default make-up brushes

I realized my make-up brush could possibly be making my rosacea worse. I washed it weekly, however, I've had it for at least two years and I only recently started washing it weekly after I was diagnosed with rosacea. Before that, I would only wash it maybe once a month. It was starting to shed individual brush hairs and I was told this is a good indication that it would need to be replaced.

So it went in the garbage today and I bought a new, good quality make-up brush. I have never really known how to properly care for a make-up brush so I had a few questions.

How do I wash it? I was washing my old one with shampoo and I let it air dry for one day. Is that the proper way to wash a brush? Is there another alternative?

Also, how often should I wash it? Is weekly OK? How should I store it? I used to leave my old one in a cup. I think I may want to store this new one in the plastic storage case that it came with.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

The most convenient, gentle thing I've found to do is to use Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming cleanser. The pump makes it easy to use quickly, and unlike shampoos-it won't leave behind oils and other ingredients which may irritate your skin. Yet it's more "conditioning" to bristles than baby shampoo or brush cleaner. I also stay away from brush sprays which are typically alcohol based.

I gently squeeze excess water out with a washcloth, then put them standing in a cup to dry overnight. Sometimes, if they're still damp the next day I'll blow dry them a little.

Once a week is fine. If you designate one brush for your eye area for i.e., you won't transfer face products there and can wash it a little more often for sanitary reasons.

Also, bristles can be more of a culprit to irritate skin than how often you clean them. The cheapest, softest, best brush sets I've found are Eco-Tools. I'm a picky artist and these were a great find at Walgreens or Target!

HTH-
    Kristen
    Last edited by banshee; 26th April 2010 at 01:14 AM.
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Modified OCM using; microfiber cloth, jojoba/safflower oil, & cool water
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Linda Sy Oatmeal & Goodskin All Calm Cleanser
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    homemade moisturizer w/dimethicone
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD
    Thera Tears supplement & PF gel drops

"Mornie utķliŽ (darkness has come)..Believe and you will find your way.
    Mornie alantiŽ (darkness has fallen)..A promise lives within you now."

I would lay the brush flat on a clean towel to dry. If you leave it standing it up you risk damaging the brush. Water can get into the ferrule that holds the brush together (standing up) so you want to lay it flat to prevent that.

Thanks ladies! Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    The most convenient, gentle thing I've found to do is to use Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming cleanser. The pump makes it easy to use quickly, and unlike shampoos-it won't leave behind oils and other ingredients which may irritate your skin. Yet it's more "conditioning" to bristles than baby shampoo or brush cleaner. I also stay away from brush sprays which are typically alcohol based.

I gently squeeze excess water out with a washcloth, then put them standing in a cup to dry overnight. Sometimes, if they're still damp the next day I'll blow dry them a little.

Once a week is fine. If you designate one brush for your eye area for i.e., you won't transfer face products there and can wash it a little more often for sanitary reasons.

Also, bristles can be more of a culprit to irritate skin than how often you clean them. The cheapest, softest, best brush sets I've found are Eco-Tools. I'm a picky artist and these were a great find at Walgreens or Target!

HTH-
    Kristen
    I love my Ecotools!! You can also get them from drugstore.com. They come individually or in sets......and they are cruelty free.