Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salicylic acid experience

Default Salicylic acid experience

Out of desperation, I went back to a cleanser I haven't used in nearly a year, Neutrogena acne cleansing bar w/ salicylic acid. I used to cleanse w/ that, 3x a week and used Noxema as my daily cleanser. I had no problems with it before and it really seemed to help my skin as tends to be oily/acne prone. I had switched to Cetaphil upon the advice of an esthitician when I had an IPL treatment back in May of 09. Initially, my skin looked good while on the Cetaphil and I know one needs a gentle cleanser after an IPL but over time it just felt like my face wasn't really clean. It always seemed to leave a residue.

I had used it all summer but around October, I had a bout of bad, inflammatory rosacea. I quit using the Cetaphil and tried various cleansers to calm my skin. The only one that really worked was All Calm. I have now have the inflammation under control but then I developed horribly oily skin with P&P's everywhere on my face. I have been using the honey mask for almost three weeks now, It did calm my skin somewhat but I still had the super oily skin. I am wondering if some of the cleansers I had been using over the last few months were contributing to the oil, which contributed to more bacteria, etc. I found Cereve to be the absolute worse, my face looked like it had been dipped in Crisco!

So, as usual, my face was very oily when I got up this AM. I also noticed I am getting regular acne type breakouts (blackheads) along with the P&Ps. My skin felt completely congested and my pores looked like they were totally clogged up. I figured, what have I got to lose? So I used the Neutrogena bar and braced myself for the worse -inflamed, irritated skin as I have read time and again, these acne cleansers are a no-no for rosacea.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the results! Firstly, my skin actually felt CLEAN! I felt like I had gotten rid of layers of nasty bacteria laden oil in one cleaning. Secondly, as the hours passed the redness in my skin completely vanished! The P&P's went down considerably. I was also very impressed with how my skin felt, very calm and cool and it looked and felt smooth. I am somewhat baffled by this but if the excess oil was contributing to my rosacea flares and P&Ps then it would make sense to try to get rid of the oil.

If this continues, I am going to slowly incorporate back into my skin care routine. I'm thinking 2x a week to start and see how my skin reacts. I know it can be drying and I don't want to my face to get overly dry, as I know that can lead to more sebum production. I had tried to switch back to Noxema once when the rosacea started but it did irritate my skin, so I cannot go back to that. I never did try the salicylic cleanser since I have been diagnosed out of fear of how my face would react. I certainly did not expect my skin to react favorably.

Has anyone else here had good luck with Salicylic acid? I know it can be a irritating product for some rosaceans, however, I have read some articles claiming it can be beneficial for some. I also read it can allow other topicals, such a Metrogel, to do their job better, that it can get into the pours easier because they aren't blocked/congested.

I also wanted to ask if there was a good Salicylic acid cleanser that is appropriate for rosacea prone skin? Perhaps a cleanser that has calming ingredients along with the SA.
    The only thing I don't like about the Neutrogena bar is that is has a type of alcohol and fragrance. I don't know if that is such a good thing for the long term.

If anyone has a good SA cleanser they can recommend, one that is rosacea friendly, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Salisylic Acid has been the best for me. It was a big, big relief to me that I found out.
    Read more here: http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...ad.php?t=20143

Hmm... I'm interested in this. I've always thought I was reacting negatively to salicylic acid. However, all the cleansers I was using that had it weren't formulated for sensitive skin at all, let alone rosacea skin, and so had a plethora of other chemicals in them- any of which I could have been reacting to instead of the SA. I may have to look into that vaseline with SA in it, if I can find it in Canada.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

siliconmessiah - I read your thread and I it sounds like you had the same experience I have had with rosacea. It's bad enough to have to deal w/ the outward appearance but you add in the physical symptoms...the itchy, tickly sensations, the burning and general feeling that the face is always dirty feeling, even after washing..I find that the most unnerving! It's been a rough year for me, to say the least! Your before photos look similar to what my face looks like, especially after I wash it and gently try to exfoliate the little scabs. I am amazed at your after photos! Such a contrast. Good for you and when I see accomplishments like this, it gives me hope.

I have not heard of the vaseline SA combo. I understand rosaceans do best when the SA is in a barrier type solution to buffer the irritating effects, so that would make sense. How does one go about purchasing this cleanser? I did see a product at the store today called Neutrogena Anti-redness Acne wash for sensitive skin. It has 2% SA and all the other ingredients appear to be calming - I saw chamomile as well as other ingredients that looked to be rosacea friendly. I may give that a try. Like I mentioned before, this acne bar I'm using now might be too harsh for the long haul.

Christine, I'll let you know how it works for me if I do.

So far, I did really good today. I'm a little red but we had a cold spring day with lots of wind and I was outdoors for about two hours. I am thrilled to report that the afternoon oily sheen I normally have to endure is much better. I will do a honey mask tonight and then apply my Metrogel. I am crossing my fingers this will do the trick

Thanks for your input, silicon.

FYI...I looked up the ingredients of that Neutrogena redness soothing acne wash in detail.

I had only quickly scanned the ingredients while at the store. It does have fragrance and some other ingredients that I am not sure are rosacea friendly after all. It also got mixed reviews.

Good to know...I may pass on this one. Still looking though!

In theory, anything that exfoliates chemically or physically, is going to take down the protective barrier for awhile leaving blood vessels more exposed and vulnerable, thereby potentiating flushing.

I think intermittent use of things like salicylic acid (low strength .5%), once or twice a week, would be helpful whereas perhaps using it everyday might be too much.

That's just my philosophy, but after I use any salicylic acid product with erythrotelangiectatic R, my flushing is quite active for many days if not more. It may be different, however, for folks with papulopustular.

best wishes-
    Kristen
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Modified OCM using; microfiber cloth, jojoba/safflower oil, & cool water
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Linda Sy Oatmeal & Goodskin All Calm Cleanser
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    homemade moisturizer w/dimethicone
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD
    Thera Tears supplement & PF gel drops

"Mornie utķliŽ (darkness has come)..Believe and you will find your way.
    Mornie alantiŽ (darkness has fallen)..A promise lives within you now."

aklady09: I have found that washing with honey made my face extremely oily (as well as being mildly irritating). I'm talking the sheen of oil that you seem to be describing. After switching back to my previous cleanser Spectroderm, I have had zero problems with overproduction of oil on my face (quite the opposite- I'm now having patches where my skin is flaking off from dryness... gonna try my coconut oil on those and see if it's a suitable moisturizer). Perhaps the honey you're using is increasing your oil production?
    Perhaps try using the SA cleanser minus the honey and see how you do?

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Quote Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
    aklady09: I have found that washing with honey made my face extremely oily (as well as being mildly irritating). I'm talking the sheen of oil that you seem to be describing. After switching back to my previous cleanser Spectroderm, I have had zero problems with overproduction of oil on my face (quite the opposite- I'm now having patches where my skin is flaking off from dryness... gonna try my coconut oil on those and see if it's a suitable moisturizer). Perhaps the honey you're using is increasing your oil production?
    Perhaps try using the SA cleanser minus the honey and see how you do?
    You could very well be right Christine, I have been using a good quality, raw honey but I may need to switch to another brand. I don't think it was causing the oiliness as I had that problem before I used it but I had not seen any decrease in the oil at all since using it. I may need reduce the use of the honey and like you suggested, just try the SA and continue using the all calm and Metrogel.

I got lazy last night and just used my All Calm cleanser and then applied the Metrogel.
    My face got really red after I posted last night, more so that usual in the nose, cheek area but I took two antihistamines and by this morning my color was back to normal.
    I am almost positive that was from the weather, I was out in that cold wind for nearly two hours and I honestly believe that is big trigger for me, more so than even the sun. I will take the SA into consideration also. Introducing a new product, windy weather....my skin was mad at me!

I am curious about the cleanser you use, Spectroderm? I have never heard of that, is it a prescription cleanser? It seems to help with the oiliness, yes? I'll have to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    In theory, anything that exfoliates chemically or physically, is going to take down the protective barrier for awhile leaving blood vessels more exposed and vulnerable, thereby potentiating flushing.

I think intermittent use of things like salicylic acid (low strength .5%), once or twice a week, would be helpful whereas perhaps using it everyday might be too much.

That's just my philosophy, but after I use any salicylic acid product with erythrotelangiectatic R, my flushing is quite active for many days if not more. It may be different, however, for folks with papulopustular.

best wishes-
    Kristen
    Thanks Kristen, I am proceeding with caution w/ the SA for that very reason. I don't think I would ever try to use it if I only had the flushing/redness (what you described you have) I have now developed the paps and really bad oiliness and I read SA is good for that. In fact, one article I read says it cleans out the pours better than most cleansers and takes away the feeding source for follicular mites, which would be helpful to those who have an abundance of the nasty critters.
    Also, it is claimed to be similar to aspirin in that is an anti-inflammatory.

Funny how some rosaceans respond well to some topicals such as SA, and some react terribly. I am finding this rosacea to be a fickle condition, indeed

Aklady09 - Here's the specific Spectroderm cleanser I use -> http://www.spectroskincare.com/dry_s...skin_derm.aspx

I really do find it to be mild and non-irritating to my skin. However, it is still drying even though it says it's for dry skin, and I had a problem with it not taking makeup off at well as it should. Anyhow, may be worth a shot at any rate. I have never been able to use any cleanser in the long run except for this one.