Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jojoba, good\bad, thoughts?

Default jojoba, good\bad, thoughts?

I've been thinking about trying jojoba as a moisturizer instead of my Cerave Moisturizing lotion. I'm a bit worried that the jojoba will plug pores and cause me to breakout with more P&Ps.

I'd like to hear from people who use or have used jojoba, how they use it and the results?

Thanks,
    Dave

I have used jojoba and had a very bad reaction to it. However, that could have been due to my own ignorance (a.k.a exercising so vigorously I was flushing for hours afterward and then right after slathering it on my face... I know, I know.) As with any oil, *sparingly* is the key word. I heard your skin should not look shiny after 10 minutes of applying. Also, I don't know if the jojoba I was using was organic virgin. That's what you want to aim for if you plan to use any natural oils.

But different things work for different people. I wouldn't try to dissuade you from trying jojoba for yourself based on my experience. There is too many factors for me to be able to say that jojoba itself was the cause of my skin's distress. Some people have seen good results with it, and the only way to know is to try it yourself. Just remember to get as organic/virgin as you can find and apply very sparingly to start. Maybe just on one side/patch of your face and see how you are the next day. If all looks good, try a tiny amount on any place you need it and keep it up for one week. You'll be able to tell based off how your skin is acting whether it's good for you or not.

Good luck!
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Hi flying_er-

For me, jojoba is the one thing I can count on to use on my skin. It helps calm it down and I do my best when I'm using nothing but....

I can't be without it. I use it to remove makeup, sunscreen, "cleanse", and moisturize. With Subtype 1 Rosacea, I'm highly sensitive to all detergents and most commercial skincare. I'm prone to acne but have not found jojoba to be an issue. I will say though I also have SD and using so much oil can make that flare.

Like christine said, it's a case by case basis, but I've had good results.

cheers-
    Kristen
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Modified OCM using; microfiber cloth, jojoba/safflower oil, & cool water
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Linda Sy Oatmeal & Goodskin All Calm Cleanser
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    homemade moisturizer w/dimethicone
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD
    Thera Tears supplement & PF gel drops

"Mornie utķliŽ (darkness has come)..Believe and you will find your way.
    Mornie alantiŽ (darkness has fallen)..A promise lives within you now."

Hi,

Actually, jojoba oil is also used for acne, so my guess is it won't clog your pores. Because it's so close to skin's sebum, it actually tricks oily skin into producing less sebum.

I've been using jojoba oil for 2,5 weeks now and I love it. My papules have decreased and my skin feels softer and smoother.

Some people who have acne will have a worsening of their condition at first. This did not happen with me.
    I have quite dry skin with papules. Or maybe I should say I used to have papules, because it looks so much better now.

I hope it will work as well for you f you decide to try it.

Angela

Christine, Banshee and Angela - Thanks for your input. I guess the only way I'll know for sure it to give it a try and see what happens.

Angela, I noticed that you also use Tea Tree Oil. Do you mix the Jojoba and TTO together ?

Thanks,
    Dave

I strongly dislike it. For me, most things just have no effect as opposed to making my rosacea any worse. Jojoba oil had no effect, but it was also a pain to use. The oil is so greasy, it ended up getting on the bottle and it's virtually impossible to wash off.

If you do use it, you are only supposed to use a couple drops per day.

I use organic jojoba oil and it's the only moisturizer I can use on my cheeks without clogging pores. Sometimes I have to use something else on top of it if they're too dry, like in the winter. It seemed to help with the redness some, but not a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by flying_er View Post

Angela, I noticed that you also use Tea Tree Oil. Do you mix the Jojoba and TTO together ?
    Hi Dave,

No, I did not mix them. The TTO I used is already diluted. But I found the TTO made no difference so now I only use jojoba oil and am still pretty content with it. My skin is not perfect, but looks good enough.

Have you already given the jojoba oil a try, and how did it work out?

Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Angela1979 View Post
    Hi Dave,

No, I did not mix them. The TTO I used is already diluted. But I found the TTO made no difference so now I only use jojoba oil and am still pretty content with it. My skin is not perfect, but looks good enough.

Have you already given the jojoba oil a try, and how did it work out?

Angela
    Hi Angela,

I did try the jojoba oil for a few days. I really didn't like the way it felt on my skin. It seemed kind of thick and greasy to me. I also noticed that my dry areas remained dry and my not so dry areas became too greasy. I also tried using it mixed with Tea Tree Oil but was not crazy about that combination. Currently I'm using Cerave Moisturizing Lotion mixed with a bit of Tea Tree Oil. I like the way that feels on my skin. The only problem is that it does create some clogged pores.

-Dave-

Hi

I've been using jojoba oil for about 6months now. I was previously using Bio-oil but this did not provide my skin with the moisture that it needed. I mix chamomile and lavender essential oils in it, I use a small amount in the morning after washing my face with Simple facial wash and then again after I have exercised, then at bed time, smother my face with it so it can be absorbed whilst I sleep. Its relatively cheap and near to what your produce naturally anyhow.