Hi all,

I have been taking Benadryl for my flushing since I was diagnosed and it does seem to help. I have noticed one pill isn't very effective any longer, two seems to do the job much better at controlling flushes. So I have increased my dosage - I started doing that this week.

Does a person build up a tolerance to antihistamines? I don't want to take any more than I have to and I do notice I get super sleepy about an hour after taking the two pills.

I woke up feeling a little lightheaded and very drowsy. Which leads to my next question, are there any harmful side effects to taking the antihistamines for the long term? I do take a few drops of a natural sleep supplement (bach flower remedy- about 2 hours after taking the Benadryl) I sleep really good but I did not like the foggy feeling when I wake up so I will be eliminating the sleep aid to make sure that is not the problem.

Also, which type of antihistamine is more effective- H1 or H2? I read one the H1 is for allergies from environment (pollen, etc)and the H2 is for food allergies/digestive problems. How do you determine which one is best for rosacea flares? Can you take both? I have no idea what triggers my flares, they used to come on pretty much anytime but now I have them somewhat under control and now they are more pronounced in the afternoon, usually around 3pm. They are also very bad about 3-5 days out of the month and I am pretty sure that is a hormone fluctuation.

Also, what are the alternatives to Benadryl? Is there a non-drowsy formula that is cost effective? I noticed some of the allergy meds are very spendy and there are so many to choose from, I would have no idea where to start. I don't mind taking the Benadryl, by the time the sleepiness comes on I am ready to go to bed anyway but it would be nice to find an alternate antihistamine I can take if I actually want to do something in the evening besides sleep

I hate the thought of being on pills the rest of my life and I will discuss these issues with my doctor the next time I see her. They really do improve my rosacea and they keep the flares down to a bare minimum, so I really don't think I could cope without them right now.
I am new to this as I have never had a problem with allergies in my life and have never had the need to take any type antihistamines.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.