Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steroid Rosacea?

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Hi Meshen,

Right now your skin doesn't look anything like the photo in your first post shows, right?

Are you using the oil or just the raw honey masks?
    Correct, it's near flawless I'd say 5-6 days out of 7 in a week now. It's dry in patches and eventually gets a little irritated by, usually, mid-week. I'll then moisturise overnight with a fair amount of Hydrous Ointment (Oily Cream) and wash that off in the morning with cold water. It then tends to be red for most of the day, and more or less back to normal and fairly smooth the next day. The cycle carries on then with it getting progressively dryer until I next moisturise.

I know this seems like a silly cycle, but I'm more than happy with the way it is right now and after previous experiences I'm so wary about using anything unfamiliar on it. I have bought the honey but if I'm honest I've only used it once or twice. It was very soothing on the skin but I've not gone for the full-on 6 week treatment yet. I just can't afford to go through the die-off as I'm working full time and I hate going in with a red face on the odd day where it's bad as it is.

Looking back at that first pic is crazy, it looks like pure steroid rosacea to me, would you agree? I was covered in lumps and bumps and p&p, absolutely horrendous. Best thing I did was getting off the steroid cream, but it was an incredibly tough thing to do.

The thing I hate most though now is that I absolutely can't do any exercise other than walking without it flaring up and leaving me pretty red faced for a good couple of days. This is the reason I ultimately want to go on the honey, I remember you saying you can now exercise with no problem. When I was still on antibiotics I would go red but be back to normal the next day and with minimal dryness. Now I'm off them I just can't do that. I haven't had a papule or pustule since about three weeks into the antibiotics now, and I've been off them for about four months which bodes well.

Here's a pic from yesterday, if you or anyone else are interested:

Hi Meshen!

You look great!

Wow. What a difference. Hey, whatever works. The important thing is that you managed to get off the steroids and have found a way to keep the skin calm most of the time.

Eat that honey you bought and keep doing this thing that's working for you. If things get out of hand again, then you can try the masks/oil.

I am very, very happy for you.

Take care.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Hi Meshen!

You look great!

Wow. What a difference. Hey, whatever works. The important thing is that you managed to get off the steroids and have found a way to keep the skin calm most of the time.

Eat that honey you bought and keep doing this thing that's working for you. If things get out of hand again, then you can try the masks/oil.

I am very, very happy for you.

Take care.
    Thank you very much Auburn, I appreciate that. I'm really lucky that I've managed to get this far, I just hope it carries on. I do feel my skin is still healing from the steroid damage so hopefully it will just get better with time.

For what it's worth too, I think cutting out refined sugar and adding in a good daily dose of prebiotics (I used FOS) helped a ton as I was aware I must have had a boatload of yeast in my body after the antibiotics.

It was pretty tough for a good couple of months after coming off them and I'd be red every other day at least which was very disheartening but I just did my best to be patient and ride it out. This is probably a lot of useless info and I think I'm lucky in that the problem in my case seems pretty clear cut (the steroids) but I just want people to know that it's not impossible to get through it, you just need to keep your head up and have patience.

Argh. I screwed up. Seb derm's been more bothersome than ever lately and the end of last week it was so intense I took a day off work, it was red, bumpy, scaly, leathery and blotchy and in a moment of weakness I blasted it with my steroid cream. As of now I have incredibly clean, soft, clear skin but I know it's probably a matter of time before I get a beast of a rebound reaction. My intent was to use it as a one-off, I'm going to do my best to do that and plan on starting the honey treatment asap (probably Tuesday).

I did get to thinking though, since the rebound reaction is due to the immune system attacking the yeast, if I were to use just a little steroid cream to control any flare-ups as I went through the process of killing the yeast with the honey treatment would this cause any problems? I'm only thinking in terms of minimising the rebound while I get rid of the yeast because I know it may be severe. I know this sounds dumb on the surface, and I know how bad the steroid cream can be, but the reasoning seems sound to me...

I think auburn would say that it would be better to just stick to the raw honey/oil treatment and let it do its job. In the end you just have to do what you think is best. If you are having a major flair there is nothing wrong with getting under control as best you can but I would never recommend that you use the hydrocortisone long term.

Default Hey Auburn!

I wasnt sure how else to contact you.
    I am thinking of doing your honey treatment and would really appreciate your advice.
    I dont mind sending pictures to you, to show the improvement.
    I currently use Aromatherapy oils - a mixture of Rose, Neroli, Rosewood, Avocado, Rosehip and Apricot Kernel.
    It has helped to get rid of the redness on my face, but not so much on my neck, - It looks blotchey like hives but I have been diagnosed as having S.D since I was 8. I've never had the problem on my scalp. It covers my face, neck and top of my arms. Sometimes my chest if im in the shower too long.
    When you shower you dont wash your face? So should I avoid my neck? And during the treatment, avoid showering my face and neck?
    I also bought Manuka Honey 15 + as I couldnt find organic honey and thought this would be the best next move. Do you think the honey will be okay?
    Is washing with honey on the days off, vital?
    After the 4months, do I go straight to only doing the masks once a week but continue with washing day and night?

Thank you so much for all your advice!