Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick of my job

Default Sick of my job

Ok, this title is somewhat deceiving. I should just say I'm fed up with my co-workers comments. I have always loved working...my jobs have always been a huge source of comfort for me because I love being productive and busy. I also enjoyed socializing with co-workers. Now I just don't even want to go anymore, all because of this rosacea.

I am trying to accept this condition, get better, move forward but it is very difficult. I work with people who have seen me for the past four years so unfortunately they have witnessed the transformation. MInd you, my skin was never flawless to begin with but it was acceptable and the texture was OK. Since the rosacea set in, it is obvious I have something wrong with my skin. The redness and flushing aside, the texture is also bad...bumps, larger pores, oily as hell, etc. It's not hideous or disfiguring but there is definately a change.

No amount of make-up is going to cover it but I still wear it to try to look somewhat decent and professional. I am also under very unforgiving lighting all day, florescent lighting that pretty much accentuates every flaw. I find myself trying to avoid the brightest areas of the room and I hate having to talk to someone face to face, especially when I'm under that bright lights.

My co-workers insist on making comments..I have heard it all now (your face is so red, it's so bumpy, etc) One walked up to me today and mentioned some soap she has that would be good for smoothing skin. I have no idea if she was insinuating I should try it but I am so paranoid now. In my mind I am thinking she was giving me that tidbit of advice because of how my skin looks. Thankfully, she got distracted and I walked away so I didn't hear about her miracle soap which I would have had to tell her I probably couldn't use anyway because of my sensitive skin. It's the women who make the comments.. My male co-workers have not said anything but I have caught a couple of them staring at me, not just a glance but flat out staring... WTF is wrong w/ people???

I have explained the situation (my rosacea) to a selected few but the others,I feel it's really none of their business.

Every time I try to go in with a positive attitude. smile, make the best of it but even just one comment crushes my self-esteem and I just want to go home so badly. I really try not to let this get me down but it is making me depressed, big time. Bad enough to have the condition but to have it pointed out to me, the problems that I already know exist... why go there???

I don't go out anymore ( I quit going out with friends altogether) but my job is my only source of income and I have to go there. I want to quit so bad, find something else but it pays well, I have insurance and with the job market and economy the way it is, that would be financial suicide.

I read a post here the other day from a forum member who wanted to quit his job because of this and I feel exactly the same way.

I just can't stand it. I would never point out someone's flaws to them and let's be honest...everyone has flaws that make them uncomfortable (the one who told me I had bumpy skin has really bad teeth) but I would never comment on it.

So how do you folks deal with this?? Ignore it, walk away, say something?? I really don't know how to handle this but I guess I better find some coping skills to deal with it.

Sorry to vent...thanks for listening!

I know this is not going to answer how to deal with it, but have you ever thought about having the fluorescent light above your head removed.
    I told my employers that I may be sensitive to them, and they immediately took them out. Now I have to use two lights on my desk, but I feel much better. No headaches at night and even though I still get flushes (from food or stress I assume) I don't get the crazy burning feeling in my face anymore.

I hope the other members have some great advise on how to deal with it as I have "just" be suffering from this for 6 weeks. I have also started to not hang out with my friends and so maybe I am in the beginning stage of this seclusion process.

ohsowell07

I really wish I could have my employer remove those awful lights! Unfortunately, we don't have individual desks per se, we have one big work area with open desks for computer use as needed. Of course, when I do have to use a computer I pick the one that is in the darkest area, provided someone isn't using it of course.

Unfortunately, I don't think my work could make the exception for one person. If I worked in one area, maybe, but with such a large work area they would have to change so many lights, I just don't think it would happen.

I'm glad your employer is sympathetic to your situation. A comfortable employee is a more productive employee, so it does make a difference.

So sorry to hear about you being newly diagnosed. I think this first year is probably the worst, IMO. You really do mourn the loss of your former face, skin, etc. Plus it's hard to accept something labeled chronic and life long. I hate to hear about anyone else who suffers from isolation. In the long run, it's not healthy but it's so hard to get out there sometimes.

Just remember, even though you may feel very alone, you have us here. We understand exactly what you are going through.

Take care friend!

Aklady describe your rosacea.

What treatments are you using and what have you tried?

I understand your situation and hope it improves; people are pretty upfront sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aklady09 View Post
    Ok, this title is somewhat deceiving. I should just say I'm fed up with my co-workers comments. I have always loved working...my jobs have always been a huge source of comfort for me because I love being productive and busy. I also enjoyed socializing with co-workers. Now I just don't even want to go anymore, all because of this rosacea.

I am trying to accept this condition, get better, move forward but it is very difficult. I work with people who have seen me for the past four years so unfortunately they have witnessed the transformation. MInd you, my skin was never flawless to begin with but it was acceptable and the texture was OK. Since the rosacea set in, it is obvious I have something wrong with my skin. The redness and flushing aside, the texture is also bad...bumps, larger pores, oily as hell, etc. It's not hideous or disfiguring but there is definately a change.

No amount of make-up is going to cover it but I still wear it to try to look somewhat decent and professional. I am also under very unforgiving lighting all day, florescent lighting that pretty much accentuates every flaw. I find myself trying to avoid the brightest areas of the room and I hate having to talk to someone face to face, especially when I'm under that bright lights.

My co-workers insist on making comments..I have heard it all now (your face is so red, it's so bumpy, etc) One walked up to me today and mentioned some soap she has that would be good for smoothing skin. I have no idea if she was insinuating I should try it but I am so paranoid now. In my mind I am thinking she was giving me that tidbit of advice because of how my skin looks. Thankfully, she got distracted and I walked away so I didn't hear about her miracle soap which I would have had to tell her I probably couldn't use anyway because of my sensitive skin. It's the women who make the comments.. My male co-workers have not said anything but I have caught a couple of them staring at me, not just a glance but flat out staring... WTF is wrong w/ people???

I have explained the situation (my rosacea) to a selected few but the others,I feel it's really none of their business.

Every time I try to go in with a positive attitude. smile, make the best of it but even just one comment crushes my self-esteem and I just want to go home so badly. I really try not to let this get me down but it is making me depressed, big time. Bad enough to have the condition but to have it pointed out to me, the problems that I already know exist... why go there???

I don't go out anymore ( I quit going out with friends altogether) but my job is my only source of income and I have to go there. I want to quit so bad, find something else but it pays well, I have insurance and with the job market and economy the way it is, that would be financial suicide.

I read a post here the other day from a forum member who wanted to quit his job because of this and I feel exactly the same way.

I just can't stand it. I would never point out someone's flaws to them and let's be honest...everyone has flaws that make them uncomfortable (the one who told me I had bumpy skin has really bad teeth) but I would never comment on it.

So how do you folks deal with this?? Ignore it, walk away, say something?? I really don't know how to handle this but I guess I better find some coping skills to deal with it.

Sorry to vent...thanks for listening!
    Hello and thanks for sharing your experience

Back in 2007 when my skin started to get really bad I got the same comments in my job.

I worked at a school and it was difficult bc the children would ask me what was wrong with my face but u know, children are like that. My coworkers would say things about it, but even if they didn't say it I felt uncomfortable and wanted to run away, to disappear. I mostly suffer from pustules and redness, I remember once I had a lot of redness in my neck. Sometimes I told them it was a sunburnt, or whatever but believe me I truly understand.

I was not diagnosed back then bc the derm kept saying I had acne even though the nurse that works for him kept telling him about my persistent redness. I was using DIFFERIN and I know it made me worse and of course it did nothing for the pustules.

What really bothers me, is that let's say people see your bad skin and tell u things about it. If u get better and look really good they never say anything!!! Some people even comment "no, if I tell him he looks good, I will offend him" WTF

I really hope that u have close friends that will support you and know abour your disease (BTW, I tell some of my friends I "have a skin disease" and "Mr. Morales can't be in the sun bc he has a skin disease") I still have trouble talking about it and ppl complain about how long it takes me to get ready to go everywhere and I'm like nervous about it and afraid.
    I don't know what to say, even more bc they say it in front of many friends.

About going out, I never liked it much but I used to go out a couples of night per month. I remember wanting to go out when my skin was looking great, it didn't matter the place, I just wanted ppl to see me with great skin

I hope u feel better, I personally quit my job but for many other reasons, I had to make that choice and I it was well paid and I had insurance but I've managed in the past and I will do it again so help me God.

Take care!!
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Digestive Enzymes Veggie caps
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

Quote Originally Posted by ohsowell07 View Post
    I know this is not going to answer how to deal with it, but have you ever thought about having the fluorescent light above your head removed.
    I told my employers that I may be sensitive to them, and they immediately took them out. Now I have to use two lights on my desk, but I feel much better. No headaches at night and even though I still get flushes (from food or stress I assume) I don't get the crazy burning feeling in my face anymore.

I hope the other members have some great advise on how to deal with it as I have "just" be suffering from this for 6 weeks. I have also started to not hang out with my friends and so maybe I am in the beginning stage of this seclusion process.
    What medications are u taking??

I mostly suffered from pustules but the Solodyn helped with both the redness and the pustules.

I understand about the seclusion process because I went thrugh it too. At 1st may seem hard but u will get through it, you'll see!!

This forum is a real blessing bc we share remedies, medications, experiences,etc.

All of u are my friends and I send u lots of love!!!
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Digestive Enzymes Veggie caps
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

I feel it on my face when I am under certain lights. I think they are making me burn and red!
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by daftpunk View Post
    Aklady describe your rosacea.

What treatments are you using and what have you tried?

I understand your situation and hope it improves; people are pretty upfront sometimes.
    Daftpunk - I have tried the usual recommended treatments. Metrogel, Finacea, S&S wash without any real improvement.

I could not use the Metrogel and S&S when I first diagnosed as I was having really bad inflammation and redness around the nose and cheeks and the meds were actually hurting when I used them (burning, stinging)

I got the inflammation under control and now my rosacea has morphed into P&Ps and really oily skin. I was tolerating Finacea for a while but it was also producing irritation.

On my last visit to the derm, she told me to stop using the Finacea for now as she thinks I have an allergy to something, so we are trying to eliminate most product.

I have been Oracea twice now (currently on my second round) and I am currently on the honey/ virgin coconut oil treatment for seb derm, as I believe I have that as well.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Every day I hope to see an improvement and relish the days my skin looks somewhat decent

Erikson,

Thanks for the nice response. It does make me feel better knowing others have gone through this.

About the going out part, that kind of had it's run anyway. My friend and I were newly seperated from our spouses a few years ago so we went out all the time.

We were enjoying our freedom, so I got the chance to socialize plenty. I don't mind being a home body but the not going out at all is a little too much isolation for my tastes. I don't want to party by any means but taking in a movie or meeting up at a coffee shop would be nice but I just can't muster the courage right now. I do still go to the store and such and I have to say I am actually most comfortable when I'm mingling amongst strangers. They don't know me, have no idea about my "before rosacea" skin so they can't make the comparison.

I have hinted to that friend that I may have a skin condition from all the hot flashes/flushing but it's still hard for me to say the words "I have rosacea." She has not seen me in several months as I am too embarrassed to be seen right now, especially by people who know me

I dont think what they think of you matters at all. What matters is what you think of yourself.

People are behaving in a certain way because of what they experienced in their lives and you cant know it unless you have a chance to walk in their shoes.

If I were you, I would not quit my job. In my case, stress, anxiety and depression were the major factors that made my rosacea worse.

If you are willing to change, you need to change your thinking. Get yourself in a better mood and gradually try different treatments for your rosacea. You might not end up having a flawless skin maybe but you will get better and feel better.

It's important to love and approve of yourself.

Love & Peace
    Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again..