Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indentations from Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    That area has begun to hurt. Ironically get so cold that it aches. I feel it in other places as well and can only hope and pray that's all the damage there is

I've been very scared to read people developing even more serious issues months and years after laser. The anxiety and upset of the scar is enough, but then the worry about more damage popping up. Hard to trust anything, but it seems RLT is all I have.
    Dear Kristen,

I wish that I could offer you some real hope.

I know when I had my many IPL's I never thought of the possibility of damage!

I feel very ignorant at times, yet we are all in the hands of each other battling this
    dreadful disease.

Weird that you mention 'coldness' from very early on when I have had a flush/flare my
    nose gets really cold and so does my body; yet my cheeks are warm.

Perhaps google is not our best resource when we are frightened.

Huge hugs to a special lady.

Jx
    SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA SINCE 2002.

*Vit D3,Theratears Omega 3.

*LDN since October 2018.

*REN skincare range. TARTE cosmetics.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol (None being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves) Lichen Planus (oral)
    PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

Default Just a thought................

When Dr Crouch did his question & answer session, did anyone ever ask him about

problems with lasers?

J

*LDN since October 2018.

PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

What is RLT? I was indented by the yag laser. I had 2 small indentions on my right side and then 2 months later I noticed an indented spot around 1/2 inch long. I wanted to cry. I then notice I had 2 indentions on my left cheek. I will never get yag again. My right side seems to be looking better after 8 months of using copper peptides. I just started again with v-beam. I hope and pray that it goes ok.
    Did you get damaged by the regular v-beam or v-beam perfecta? I have heard from others that said the perfecta had caused damage. I am getting the regular v-beam.

fulloflove-that's terrible but I'm glad to hear you feel you've made some improvement.

I believe I was damaged by the 1064 Yag, but hopefully only because that area had been hit so many times previously.

IPL and V-beam are what I ran across as being the most mentioned for fat loss/indentations but obviously with us, it's not limited to those.

RLT is red light therapy...there's a whole section on it here in the forum. It's Low energy, non-thermal light typically LED's. Lasers/IPL are high-energy, thermal devices.

Folks also refer to RLT as acne lamps (but all red). Basically, they gently deliver light energy in a way which doesn't cause insult to surrounding tissues and skin, and it's supposed to calm flushing, stimulate collagen etc. Some have had great success, others not.

Acnelamp.com, Britebox Revive, and the DPL system are popular devices.

HTH-
    Kristen

ETA: Judworth-I almost forgot to answer you! It was actually searched Q&A sessions w/Dr. Crouch which I learned of these issues w/indentations, but unfortunately too late.
    Last edited by banshee; 29th April 2010 at 12:04 AM.
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Modified OCM using; microfiber cloth, jojoba/safflower oil, & cool water
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Linda Sy Oatmeal & Goodskin All Calm Cleanser
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    homemade moisturizer w/dimethicone
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD
    Thera Tears supplement & PF gel drops

"Mornie utķliŽ (darkness has come)..Believe and you will find your way.
    Mornie alantiŽ (darkness has fallen)..A promise lives within you now."

Question

Hello Kristen,

As you know I 'used' to have yearly IPL treatments until June 2009, when I felt that the

the last treatment did not have any effect.

I 'was' considering further IPL treatment but with Dr Crouch at some stage, however the

recent responses to your post have made me re-think this procedure altogether.

How soon after your treatments did you notice your problems?

Jx

*LDN since October 2018.

PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

Hi Judworth-

I noticed the indentation a few days ago, my last laser was in December. I have not used RLT since then.

I'm afraid I discovered even more damage on my cheeks, and indented trails. I'm beside myself with worry as to what will show up next, and my heart absolutely breaks for people who have experienced this on top of the Rosacea. I wish I would have stopped the lasers while I was ahead.

How many IPL's did you have?
    Last edited by banshee; 29th April 2010 at 12:08 PM.
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Hi Judworth-

I noticed the indentation a few days ago, my last laser was in December. I have not used RLT since then.

I'm afraid I discovered even more damage on my cheeks, and indented trails. I'm beside myself with worry as to what will show up next, and my heart absolutely breaks for people who have experienced this on top of the Rosacea. I wish I would have stopped the lasers while I was ahead.

How many IPL's did you have?
    I had a block of 6 in 2003 and then 1 per year (although 2 in 2009); the last one being

in June 2009.

So about 13 in all!

I am just going to stop looking at my skin too closely as I cannot bare to find anything
    worse than what I see already!

I do also have rosacea on my chest (an area where I have never had IPL) so at least if I
    see something strange on my face which mirrors that on my chest I know it's just
    the roascea beast!

I was actually in tears reading your post; I know how unbearable it is to see your face
    change...............I have already suffered that due to thyroid eye disease (the sadness about my eyes has never really left me, they used to be so pretty!).

Still, enough of my self-pity, I just pray dear Kristen that RLT heals your skin.

When will you start it?

Hugs Judyx

*LDN since October 2018.

PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

Quote Originally Posted by Judworth View Post
    When Dr Crouch did his question & answer session, did anyone ever ask him about

problems with lasers?

J
    Judworth

Dr Crouch answered a question in his 2009 Q&A :

Phlika29: In the last year or so we have been seeing more reports of side effects that people have associated with laser/IPL (such as fat loss). Could you perhaps shed any light on this issue-studies, anectodal reports, etc. If you were new to an area and looking for some one to treat your rosacea with laser/IPL how would you go about choosing (would you want them to be medically qualified, etc,etc)? What questions would you ask when you had your initial visit?

Dr Peter Crouch (↑Disclaimer): Dear Phlika, Thank you for your question. There are anecdotal reports of fat loss circulating and this seems to have developed into a significant area of concern. Unintended unexpected changes are something that I warn all patients about as a possibility however (and sorry to repeat my answer to Mattdog above) thankfully I havenít seen this with patients I have treated using three passes (at moderate fluence) with the Lumenis One IPL at our clinic. We have just completed our 20,000th treatment shot treating literally thousands of patients over a period of over five years and texture change has been reported by only one patient. The patient who has had much "hotter" treatments previously elsewhere and is convinced that this is due to the higher fluences used with single "hotter" treatment techniques. Texture change or volume/fat loss post treatment in my experience seems to be thankfully rare and I assume is possibly protocol and/or technique dependent. I donít think that the industry yet knows why some patients can receive many tens of treatments often with high fluences and experience no side effects whatsoever and yet others seem to experience problems with one or two treatments. If I was looking for someone to treat my rosacea or if I was referring a relative or close friend then I would look for the following:- 1) The Clinic should be fully registered with the Care Quality Commission (if in the UK). Donít be afraid to ask (and be somewhat wary if a clinic can't/won't tell you):- 2) How many times before has the practitioner treating the patient treated the condition with this device? Relevant demonstrable experience is the key here 3) What is the incidence of adverse events for the practitioner treating patients with the same condition with the intended device? Honest appreciation and reporting of the true risk is the key here 4) What proportion of patients with similar conditions treated by the practitioner with the device are content with this treatment? Patient experience (not optimistic marketing flannel) is the key here 5) Donít be taken in by unrealistic treatment outcome claims. Using phrases like "complete cure" or "removal" or "absolutely no downtime" instead of realistic terms like "improvement", "reduction", "fading" or "minimal downtime" should alert prospective patients to optimistic and potentially misleading marketing hype. Clinics that are more cautious about the prospect of good results are in my view more likely to delight rather than disappoint their patients and this cautious optimism is more likely to be born of experience rather than naÔve optimism. Remember, if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. 6) Avoid paying for or receiving any more treatments than you absolutely need. If you are done after 2 treatments (or getting no-where after 2-3 treatments) then you should be able to disengage without having committed to a series of paid for treatments. I hope that this helps, Kind regards, Peter
    http://rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Pet..._Interview.php

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Judworth

Dr Crouch answered a question in his 2009 Q&A :

http://rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Pet..._Interview.php
    Thank you so much.

Jx

*LDN since October 2018.

PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

I'm touched by everyone's outpouring of support and well wishes. Thank you.

I'm doing my best to keep it together on what is going to be another long, arduous, and emotionally grueling path. I can only pray I can turn things around again.

I'm getting more and more convinced that each IPL/laser treatment causes so much oxidative and thermal stress, that it leads to premature aging. The temporary collagen plumping effect masking what's going on underneath until after cumulative insult, or likewise just one overly intense therapy, it brings all the damage to the surface.

Perhaps a person can handle several treatments, 10, maybe even 20...but the fact remains I did these successfully for 8yrs with a skilled doctor, settings and lasers never changed, only to have this last one be the final blow.

I don't know how bad it's going to get. It's literally like my face has aged overnight and it's far more terrifying to be losing the fat underneath my skin than when I began my battle even with severe Rosacea. I cycle between hope, determination, and despair.

Like Aklady, I know how much lasers/IPL are a source of relief and hope for people struggling with Rosacea, so I was reluctant to post this...but I couldn't let someone to go through the hell I am now w/o telling of my experience.

Again thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

-Kristen
    Last edited by banshee; 2nd May 2010 at 01:32 PM.
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD