Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How come most people here act like laser treatment is useless for rosacea?

Default How come most people here act like laser treatment is useless for rosacea?

Is it even worth doing, 3-4 sessions should pretty much reduce it by a lot though right? I always hear how people have unsuccessful treatment with it, have any people had any successful ones?

I had my first Vbeam done last week. I could see results after 2 days and it made me very happy. Swelling and redness was gone after 1-2 days. I will have another one in the end of May, and have nothing negative to say so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    I had my first Vbeam done last week. I could see results after 2 days and it made me very happy. Swelling and redness was gone after 1-2 days. I will have another one in the end of May, and have nothing negative to say so far.
    any side effects so far? Is it permanently removed, will it come back?

i have read were people look like the elephant man for a week,,,,,,i'm afraid to find out

Quote Originally Posted by nemz View Post
    any side effects so far? Is it permanently removed, will it come back?
    No side effects at all. It was a bit painful when he did the laser, and I was a bit svollen for a day or two, but it was hardly visible.

Will it come back. Good question. My derm says there is a big chance that it will, but it all depends on how my disease progress, how good I am to avoid sun, triggers etc. It might take a few months, it might take years, and it will maybe be gone forever. Anyway, I will probably have at least 3 or 4 more treatments in that area. But I am surprised that it was that effective after only 1 treatment. It is redness around my mouth and on my nose. The derm told me it will be better and better after each treatment. So far he kept his words.

Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    No side effects at all. It was a bit painful when he did the laser, and I was a bit svollen for a day or two, but it was hardly visible.

Will it come back. Good question. My derm says there is a big chance that it will, but it all depends on how my disease progress, how good I am to avoid sun, triggers etc. It might take a few months, it might take years, and it will maybe be gone forever. Anyway, I will probably have at least 3 or 4 more treatments in that area. But I am surprised that it was that effective after only 1 treatment. It is redness around my mouth and on my nose. The derm told me it will be better and better after each treatment. So far he kept his words.
    are there any successful stories of people having it disappear forever, well for about more than 20 years?

I think most people go back every year for maintenance. I know my friends dad has had good results and goes back once a year to make sure everything is good!

you have to be careful about reading all the negative posts on the site. There are a lot of people who have had great success with treatments and thus dont go on websites like this one.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by nemz View Post
    are there any successful stories of people having it disappear forever, well for about more than 20 years?

I am sorry my friend, but I am not the right person to ask. I am unexperienced with this. Hopefully others can answer you better.

Laser (preferably Vbeam Perfecta) is worth trying if you can afford it. Not everyone is going to react the same way but the loudest group is always going to be negative. Those who have had success, including me, find little reason to come to sites like this very often.

I personally started to see results with my first treatment. My face was red for less than a full day and the puffiness took only a week to completely go down, but started to go down in as little as three days. I've had four treatments in all, the first three being a month apart and the last about three months apart from the others. My last treatment was in July of '09. I hardly got puffy at all then but I did have small red circles where the laser hit for about a week. Puffiness and swelling is very normal, as is itching as the swelling starts to go down. It's all part of the healing process. The complete healing process lasts a month so you shouldn't be alarmed if you still have random flushing. I know I did, but the intensity, duration and onset was reduced.

As of now I hardly ever flush save for in some anxiety-inducing situations and I use a low dose beta blocker for that, which helps. My nose still flushes when I go from hot to cold or cold to hot temperatures too suddenly but that thankfully shouldn't be much of a problem anymore since more constant, mild weather is approaching. Constant warm weather actually keeps me and many others from flushes.

For reference my nose used to be pink all the time and flushing started around November of '08. I'd flush badly every night and for no obvious reason and as time went on, every day. I could just be sitting there or do something as simple as vacuum and my face would start to burn. Now it only does that very rarely. Small areas of my cheeks were constantly red as well and the area of redness increased over time. They're not there anymore.

Vbeam for the entire face costs me $300 a session and that's the minimum offer they have where I go. Some insurance companies even cover laser for rosacea, but even if yours doesn't (I know mine doesn't), a few hundred bucks a year or less is certainly worth it if it means less flushing and burning and more time to concentrate on more important things.

I caution laser. It may not be the "norm" but there have been numerous people including rosacea sufferers who have had their skin permanently scarred/indented/texture issues/fat loss as well as rosaceans who have had their rosacea made worse. Search google "ipl fat loss"

It is a roll of the dice, even with the most qualified derm, there is no predicting how your skin will tolerate impulsed light. Always, always have a small test patch done first no matter how much the treating physician assures you it is not necessary.

I had a friend who was permanently scarred by a routine laser so be careful is all I am saying, it can happen.