Thread: Prevention of initial rosacea symptoms?

Unhappy Prevention of initial rosacea symptoms?

Hi,

I was just wondering, if it is possible to PREVENT the initial onset of Rosacea symptoms if you know you are at risk for this, like if a family member has Severe Rosacea redness and flushing symptoms,

Can you prevent the onset of the disease (without this curing it, just keeping it from EVER starting up) with taking tetracycline antibiotics and/or the use of IPL Laser or RED light, etc? If I knew I was at risk for this, I would have asked a dermatologist to start me on tetracyclines back in the 1980s and Lasers in the 1990s, if they had Lasers back then!

I MAY have been able to prevent the onset, at least for a while.

I think you can use Lasers indefinitely, right??

Jasmine

I would like to advise some of my younger family members (nieces, nephews, young adult cousins) to start some type of treatment, becauce once it starts, some people can NEVER get rid of it or control the symptoms well.

Hi Jasmine,

I don't think there's really any way to prevent rosacea. Some people are just genetically prone to it no matter what they do. There are things you can do to limit skin irritation though and that includes wearing sunscreen and following a gentle skin care regimen such as using Cetaphil cleanser and a gentle moisturizer at night, and not exfoliating the skin.

Hope that helps..

Wink Re: Prevention of rosacea

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Starting at about age 23, I used an SPF of 40+ and above on my face and neck (I still occasionally did sunbathe in the backyard and at pools in the summer) but was careful to ALWAYS cover my face.

I started getting a raised, red patch on my right cheek at age 31, when I had faithfully worn High SPF suncreens for years, along with SPF make-ups and a hat. It didn't go away for a couple of months, until finally a dermatologist gave me tetracyclines after I had used steroid creams, antifungals, etc. (This was in 1987) Only the oral tetracyclines eradicated it from my face, and I stayed on those until about 1997, when I got a rash. Then, I had to stop and used metronidazole, and then other things until the Lasers in 2002. It got quite a bit worse until then, but I have always used a strong suncreen and I STILL developed it!

I read somewhere that if a patient with the inherent risk of Rosace starts Laser treatments early enough, he or she can possibly delay the start of the disease. Most of the time, you can't tell at all if I have Rosacea, but I might flare up every 5 years or so.

Jasmine

Wow thats something i've never really thought about. I will be sure to slather sunscreen on my future kids.

I'd imagine sun protection is the first and most important step.

Next would be just promoting a healthy lifestyle and hoping for the best unfortunately.

If you see anything developing have them treated immediately by a good derm. Naturally leave the derm if they ever prescribe steroid topicals.

Without sun damage or steroid topicals i'm sure that would lower the risk, genetic disposition to this skin problem is unavoidable however.

As much about what you shouldn't do as what you should.
    Adolescents might be gently steered away from the use of harsh acne-topicals.
    Seekers of beauty might be made wary of peels and retinols and excessive tanning. And so on.

That said, taking many steps to prevent something that is perhaps not going to happen or that will perhaps inevitably happen comes, often, at a price: hypercondria and stress.

If I had known that the flushing I exacerbated by running in the hot summer sun was going to lead to debilitating rosacea, I would have been more careful.

I did not know to stop the flushing and to not let the flushing happen. By any means necessary.

If I'd known that, I would have stayed in air conditioning and avoided liquor. Now I know, and now it's too late.

If you know folks prone to develop rosacea, try to teach them to shut down the flushing before it gets horrific.