Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of sun exposure

Default Benefits of sun exposure

Hi all,

I was wondering how you all feel about brief sun exposure. I have been hiding from the sun for nearly a year now-first part of year due to IPL, later part of year due to rosacea -plus winter doesn't offer much sun anyway.

My derm recommended D3, which I have been taking for a couple of months now but I have to wonder if just a little sun exposure might offer the same benefits. I know about wearing sunscreen , actually I'm overkill on the sunscreen! I also know about avoiding the sun during the peak hours but I'm wondering if actually getting a little color might actually do me some good. I am looking for a good bronzer that I can use for my face, I see physician's formula has one that has SPF 50. I have tanning cream and that would probably be my main source for some color but I would also like to enjoy being outside in the sun.

I think I also have seb derm and I hear it can clear up during the summer months. I look forward to that but I know I will have to be careful w/ the rosacea so I know it will be a balancing act, a little sun but not too much.

I just don't want to spend another beautiful summer cooped up indoors and after being so pale I would like some color, other than RED!

I find going outside early in the morning with no sun screen on just for a bit, makes my skin alot better.

Tanning would only mask the redness and make it worse in the long run. Keep wearing your sunscreen - you can still create vitamin D even when you do since no sunscreen will protect you 100%. Just remember to reapply it every couple of hours if you stay outside for a long period of time. Wearing a hat helps too.
    Last edited by MissD; 17th April 2010 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Book1985 View Post
    I find going outside early in the morning with no sun screen on just for a bit, makes my skin alot better.
    Me too. Like a few hours after sunrise and about an hour or two before sunset is ok for me. Anything from 10am - 4pm fughetaboutit.

Close your eyes, relax your face muscles and look into the sun. Enjoy the warmth on your face and eyelids. do it about 15-30 secs, then look away from the sun, open your eyes, blink them few times(fast) and you should feel better. (:

Do it few times times per day.

Some sun each day does wonders for my skin. Not crazy sun-worshipping nonsense, but sensible fresh air and sunlight, as my body evolved to do best in. Despite the strong (but in my opinion, unjustified) anti-sun sentiment in the rosacea community, I think this approach makes far more sense than mega-doses of oral vitamin D3.

I wasn't sure where to post this message so I chose this topic.

This is my second year when I am pleased to notice that my rosacea is getting better in the sun. Last year it almost completely cleared up through the summer and now that the weather is warmer and I am spending more time outdoors in the light- well, it shows.
    Of course I am using mineral sunscreen every day.

I am not sure this is all good news though, does that mean that whne the cold/wet season starts my skin will look awful again?

Has anyone else noticed an improvement to their skin during the summer months?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_V View Post
    Some sun each day does wonders for my skin. Not crazy sun-worshipping nonsense, but sensible fresh air and sunlight, as my body evolved to do best in. Despite the strong (but in my opinion, unjustified) anti-sun sentiment in the rosacea community, I think this approach makes far more sense than mega-doses of oral vitamin D3.

I do take 1000iu (the recommended dose) of Vit D3, however I have found that over

the years the sun isn't really too much of an issue to me.

We have glorious weather here in the UK at present and I spent a lovely day outside

yesterday (admittedly with suncreen on & under the shade of a huge parasol at times) but

it really was fabulous & has indeed added to my sense of well-being.

Trouble is, as usual not 'one thing fits all' for people with rosacea!

J
    SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA.

*Vit D3,Theratears Omega 3.

*LDN since October 2018.

*REN skincare range. TARTE cosmetics.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol (None being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

* Use Optimel & Ilast cream for MGD Ocular rosacea.

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves) Lichen Planus (oral)
    PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

Would be interesting to hear what season/time of year is best/worst for Rosaceans...
    Doug

My opinion (and this is completely speculative) is that the benefit some see with sunlight has to do with the very natural increase in vitamin D that sun exposure brings, particularly cutaneous vitamin D, which is not quite what you get with exogeneous vitamin D tablets. Of course, our rosacean skin reacts poorly to heat, so that sun exposure should be balanced against the need to avoid aggravating your face. For me this means getting sun exposure incidentally though walks about town, ducking naturally in and out of shops and shade. I always look much better after these kinds of days. Doubt I would do as well plunking down on the beach with my face lifted defiantly toward the sky, though!