Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ahh cetaphil!!!!

Default Ahh cetaphil!!!!

Hello all

I have been using cetaphil gental cleanser and lotion for just over a week now. At first I was impressed with the results i.e. no stinging when applying the cleanser or burning sensation a while after applying the lotion (just a slight tinge when applying it around the mouth area which is much better than having your whole face on fire as I discovered after using E45!). I have been applying it twice a day as reccomended by my derma.

On sunday however I woke up and my face looked pretty much purple and i had quite a few whiteheads on my cheeks (the few 'spots' that I had when I went to see the derma a couple of weeks ago had disappered if not going) but this reaction was YUCK! I've been racking my brain as to what may have caused this reaction or wheher I was just having an 'off' day...but my mind has shot to it being the cetaphil so have been observing my face in greater detail in its application since.

Increasingly I'm finding that the cleanser is drying out my face and making it feel pretty tight (it was doing this last week too)...skin does look a bit wrinkly (Nothing has ever caused this type of reaction). Also after applying the cleanser (I wasnt 100% till today) I would develop a white dry patch aroung the mouth area.Even after applying moisturiser to this area it still keeps coming back! Today prior to applying the cleanser my face had no dry patches but 15 mins or so after applying the cleanser i developed dry patches around my mouth as well as on the cheeks - which is ewhh....is this the cetaphil or water causing this?? ahhh...

Ive also noticed that the lotion ive been applying has been making me look more and more sunburnt lol the more i apply regardless of how much i use. Ive therefore not applied it this morning- and started using aveeno (which i believe originally caused my original breakout - have they changed their ingredients in their daily moistursing lotion in the last few months???)

Question - could this reaction be the cetaphil products or is this all in my head and due to something else? Has anyone else had a similiar reaction?

Im pretty stumped in trying to find a moisturiser that want dry out my skin, burn it or make it look red - any suggestions? Also on soaps/cleansers?

Regarding aveeno - does it cause breakouts? Does anyone else use this?

Thanks for any responses!

noddy!

Cetaphil doesn't work for everyone. I use it sometimes, but I do find it a bit drying after a few washes. Of the drugstore brands I've tried, I most prefer Aveeno Ultra-Calming Cream Cleanser. I also find it helpful to alternate between a few cleansers, just in case one is slightly drying after a few uses - that way whatever it is about that product that DOES work still works, while my skin doesn't get upset by what doesn't.

Cetaphil Lotion has been useless to my skin. Clogs my pores, makes me red, doesn't absorb. Blah.

Honey makes for a lovely, inexpensive cleanser.
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    Hello all

I have been using cetaphil gental cleanser and lotion for just over a week now. At first I was impressed with the results i.e. no stinging when applying the cleanser or burning sensation a while after applying the lotion (just a slight tinge when applying it around the mouth area which is much better than having your whole face on fire as I discovered after using E45!). I have been applying it twice a day as reccomended by my derma.

On sunday however I woke up and my face looked pretty much purple and i had quite a few whiteheads on my cheeks (the few 'spots' that I had when I went to see the derma a couple of weeks ago had disappered if not going) but this reaction was YUCK! I've been racking my brain as to what may have caused this reaction or wheher I was just having an 'off' day...but my mind has shot to it being the cetaphil so have been observing my face in greater detail in its application since.

Increasingly I'm finding that the cleanser is drying out my face and making it feel pretty tight (it was doing this last week too)...skin does look a bit wrinkly (Nothing has ever caused this type of reaction). Also after applying the cleanser (I wasnt 100% till today) I would develop a white dry patch aroung the mouth area.Even after applying moisturiser to this area it still keeps coming back! Today prior to applying the cleanser my face had no dry patches but 15 mins or so after applying the cleanser i developed dry patches around my mouth as well as on the cheeks - which is ewhh....is this the cetaphil or water causing this?? ahhh...

Ive also noticed that the lotion ive been applying has been making me look more and more sunburnt lol the more i apply regardless of how much i use. Ive therefore not applied it this morning- and started using aveeno (which i believe originally caused my original breakout - have they changed their ingredients in their daily moistursing lotion in the last few months???)

If I use the cetaphil gentle cleanser I get really bad seb derm!!!!! I have oily skin
    Question - could this reaction be the cetaphil products or is this all in my head and due to something else? Has anyone else had a similiar reaction?

Im pretty stumped in trying to find a moisturiser that want dry out my skin, burn it or make it look red - any suggestions? Also on soaps/cleansers?

Regarding aveeno - does it cause breakouts? Does anyone else use this?

Thanks for any responses!

noddy!
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Digestive Enzymes Veggie caps
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

Thanks for the responses!

bellableu thanks for the mention of Aveeno Ultra-Calming Cream Cleanser will google it this evening and if I like what I read will try and get my hands on some!

So Ive stopped using the cetaphil gentle cleanser and lotion and you know what...the uglies have gone!!! Thought they would never dispapper or at least take a while to shift but magically this morning after riskly using imperial leather (soap free) on my skin it actually felt like my face was being cleaned!!! It did dry out my face and the aveeno i applied afterwards takes care of that (does make me look redder) but hey id rather have a red face then a red/dry/wrinkly/tight/spotty/whitehead/yucky face!

Interestingly enough I was talking to a good friend of mine yesterday and she was telling me how a new product that she was using was causing her to break out but she didnt seem to be worried about it. I asked her why she was still using the product if it was causing her to break out and she responded that all new products that she applies to her face causes this reaction in the first few weeks then it dies down. She does have pretty good skin otherwise...

Anyway thanks for your responses!

noddy.

noddy - I'm right at the stage where I highly suspect Cetaphil to be the cause of my current skin problems. I'm on minocycline, but I always complained that Spectraderm didn't feel like it was cleaning my face. However, I had clear skin while on minocycline while simultaneously using Spectraderm.

I heard rave reviews about Cetaphil on this site and decided I wanted to try it. But it was almost as soon as I switched over that my skin started having a lot of papules and it was red and irritated and itchy. At first I thought it was my moisturizer, that I was using a different brand of minocycline that was ineffective, honey, all the things I was trying, but I never questioned the Cetaphil because, as far as I knew, if it didn't make me react with redness, it was good for my skin.

Now I'm questioning that judgement and have decided to quit Cetaphil cold turkey and just wash my face with raw honey and a soft cloth, since I was in desperation and suspecting Cetaphil at that point I used just honey to wash (not leave on as a mask). All my makeup was taken off and when I woke up my skin had calmed right down and a 90% reduction in existing papules. I will try this for a while, washing with honey only. My one observation was that I seemed to produce more sebum the next day- maybe my skin reacting to the day without the Cetaphil cleaning with excess oil.

Anyhow, I will update on my results of quitting Cetaphil cold turkey in a few days, since I've only washed with honey once. So far you're the first person I've seen on the site that has had a significant adverse reaction to Cetaphil. Please let me know what you choose to use instead and if it works. My one advice about honey if you go that route is that while washing with it seemed to be really healing and calming, leaving it as a mask tended to make my face red and not really see much improvement the next day. It just depends on how sensitive your skin is and what you can handle for the honey.
    Last edited by christine123; 16th April 2010 at 02:28 AM.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Hi christine123

I have also developed itchy face since using the cetaphil which still hasnt died down IVE NEVER EXPERINECED THIS WITH ANY PRODUCT...well I did after applying a bit of E45 but it only lasted for that day! Ive also still got wrinkly lines on my face (near my mouth ) from using this product and praying that these disapper soon too!!! Not a good look for anyone let alone someone in their mid-late 20's!

Washing face with honey - interesting. I was told this by a good friend a while back (who is really against pharma meds and is more into the natural approach and has great skin) but he said to do it as a mask and it really works on spots (at that time I didnt pay any attention as I didnt have pimples just a red rash face!). I may try the honey as a facial wash rather than a mask (I fear if I left it on my skin it may get even crazier - Oh how I hate cetaphil!!!). Do you just apply it straight to your face then rinse? Does it feel all sickly when applying it? Does it dry out the skin?

I am on a mission to find a decent facial wash and moisturiser trying to find products that may not irritate the skin as well as do a decent job on the face! It is proving to be hard. As scary ingredients seem to be in most products! I did purchase a facial wash yesterday BUT it did have a couple of possibly evil ( ;) ) ingredients in it:-Benzyl Alcohol and Behydroacetic Acid (which i have no idea what this is and probably a no-no)...all the other products are pretty 'natural and organic' apparently! I will review in a week and let you know how my trial and error is going with the products that I choose! Hopefully I dont cause any more damage to my face!!!

Do let me know how you get on with the honey and any other products that you choose! Thanks Nod.

Hi noddy,

Well, I washed with honey again last night and woke up to the same results: Calmed and paler skin, but an increase in skin oils (which isn't a big deal - I just dabbed with a tissue). Honey does feel a little bit sticky when you're washing, but it's not a big deal if you add a little water. Straight honey could feel quite sticky, which I noticed when I did the honey masks. The water evaporated out of it and left the honey *really* sticky on the face, which is bothersome if left on for three hours...

I did notice after cleaning my face seemed a bit tight and dry, but when I woke up I didn't feel that (since my skin produced more sebum in the middle of the night). I may try moisturizing afterward with a very little bit of coconut oil all over (which I'm also using on my eyebrow/hairline area for relief of seb dermatitis symptoms, to good effect).

When I'm washing with honey, I plan on using the following routine: Mix a tiny amount of water in with the honey so it creates a smooth, but not too watery consistency. I will alternate days using a soft cloth or microfiber cloth and just my fingers, as a cloth is more exfoliating and may be too abrasive if used every day. If using a cloth, just wrap my finger in the cloth and wet it in tepid water, dip it in the honey mixture and gently rub on skin in a circular motion. Same method with fingers minus the cloth. When done the whole face, just rinse with lots of tepid water and pat dry with a clean cloth.

I know that once damage is done to the skin it might take weeks to get back to normal again, so I'm gonna give this a try for a while, since it doesn't immediately seem to have any adverse effects. Let me know how the new wash you bought works for you.

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Hi Christine!

Thanks for your response! I have started to wash my face with honey this morning and will report in a week (or before) how its all going! Do keep me updated with whats happening with you too!

At the moment my face is tingling (not burning just tingling sensation) after applying anything to it (even water!)- I think its all after the cetaphil damage so my skin is extremly irritated! So have decided not to use the facial wash i purchased for the time being and try something really minimal - the reason for the honey wash! My skin seems to have got worse since seeing the derma and listening to his reccs! From just having a red face and a couple of pimples (which wasnt too bothering the pimples that is) im now dealing with a yucky face where I just want to hide! Ive started the antibs yesterday too (although when i found out the pharma that makes the cetaphil is also the producer of the pills that does SCARE me a lil!!!)...

Thanks for letting me know about the honey application - your a star!

nods.

Hi noddy, great to hear you are now trying the honey method. I'm hoping for a perfect fix, for you and myself, but it isn't for everyone, so maybe try it for a week or so and report back with results and I will do the same. Since you said your face is extremely sensitive right now, please be extra gentle while washing. Maybe forgo the soft cloth and just use the fingers. You just want to calm your skin down right now (as much as I know the urge to scrub away all the p&p and bumpiness- I have to check that in myself)

Just as a final note: I am still taking minocycline in 50 mg doses twice daily, morning and night, I often put Metrogel on the rosacea areas I'm prone for p&p, like cheeks, nose and chin, and I just bought myself some supplements in Omega 3-6-9 and zinc and took them tonight with my meal. Just trying to get the whole picture of my skincare routine down to more accurately portray if something(s) work or don't. Please let me know what you are doing in tandem with the honey cleansing, and good luck! Please let me know in a week or so how you're doing.

Hi Christine

Im having various results with the honey so far. No burning or stinging but it does make my face red - BUT this is caused by anything at the moment which touches my face!!! Its strange as when I wake in the morning my face looks pretty normalish in complexion just the pimples i have broken out with, but as soon as i put anything on the face the redness comes! Maybe i should just not wash my face

One thing that I liked with the honey application yesterday eve is that I didnt seem to need to have to apply moisturiser on my face. However today my face in the morning had some dry flakes and the honey didnt seem to help it by itself - it did need additional moisturiser. So may try the whole coconut thing as well...or jojoba oil...will update you!

As for other things that I am doing, I admitted defeat on Friday (Im not anti pharma or meds - I work in the industry!) and started taking the Lymecycline tablets (antibs) its one tablet and 408mg - apparently it takes 10-12 weeks to see results. We shall see! He also gave me Zineryt to use topically (this is erythromycin 40mg/ml and zinc 12 mg/ml) which I started on one cheek last night. It does sting after application but that dies down in a few minutes! Im not taking any other supplements although I do eat probiotic yoghurts 4-5 times a week -Ive been doing this for a few years! I have also upped my water intake this last week but apart from that no real diet/lifestyle changes...

Will update thread when I have anything new to report! Hope it all works for you Christine - do keep me updated with your results and if you find any other methods of washing your face and moisturising!

Noddy!