Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone here not have sensitivity to the sun?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmoof View Post
    What is PLE?
    Polymorphic light eruption
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pol...uption/ds00911

Default thanks for the replies

Yes, all of you who can be in the sun with no problems do consider yourself lucky....!!!

My body has no problem with the sun. Can get dark. But my face, 10 minutes in the sun, during the prime hours, man, I just can't believe it...

This is my one quest, to find how to get around this.... ideally, without sunblock!!!

Solutionquest,
    sorry i forgot to mention that 'sunscreen' is almost the ONLY thing that saves my skin from the sun without cover. Once went swimming and forgot to re-apply. Guess the chlorine and water just washed it off. and OMG my entire face was red, inflamed with a million bumps n lumps all over. took a week to tend to it and bring the inflammation down..
    I guess u dont necessarily need a full on sunblock, or super strong white-cast sunscreen, but i mean even if its spf15 infused moisturizer/sunscreen, that will still provide protection. We should all use spf15 as our day moisturizer anyhow! even if its our daily life, going to work etc.

What do you all mean in terms of sunblock as oppose to sunscreen? I burn even with an spf25 in the mid day sun ie. 2pm but these sunblocks, are they the same thing or something different? I did try a zinc block I think it was spf 40 but it was literally thicker than glue/paste, like I suppose the stuff you see the typical lifeguard with on their nose etc. Not only did it make my face look like a mime/clown makeup but it was so hard to get off and I had to scrub as gently as possible to get it off which just irritated my skin further...lol...maybe it was just the brand. Any tips or info on these sunblocks people use and what brand you are using? Thanks

Hi RedFaced,

Sunblock refers to a physical sun protection topical that includes either zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide that actually block the sun's UVA and UVB rays from getting through to you. Sunblock is definitely messier than sunscreen but it is also the least allergenic.

Whereas sunscreen contains chemical ingredients to protect the skin. Sunscreen's chemicals absorb the sun's UV radiation.

So basically, sunblock reflects UV rays versus absorb them. Sunblock does not contain the same harsh chemicals that are in sunscreen.

Most skin cancers are caused by too much exposure to the sun's ultraviolet rays. Ultraviolet-A (UVA) rays penetrate deep into the skin and are known to cause long-term problems such as wrinkles and some cancers. Ultraviolet-B (UVB) rays, which cause suntans and sunburns, are known to cause most skin cancers.

Best,
    Melissa

Looking into the sun with closed eyes, is best way to calm down my face skin. When i open my eyes, my face is cleared about 50-70% but turns back sooner or later. If i stay in sunlight, its good. I think that sunlight works for me, but i dont have idea how...!? (:

Unless you are taking a photosensitizing drug (like the tetracyclines) or have a specific photosensitivity disorder (like PLE), a little sun each day is good for anyone, rosaceans included.

Default I'm ok

My skin likes a little sun. It tends to decrease the spread of the redness and tones the redness down. The matter of fact, I actively try to get a tan, since i don't like the too pale look (uneven skin tone, dark eye circles that really stick out, rosacea is more visible). However, I do take it slow. Unlike some people, i can't decide to get a tan over the weekend and that's that. It takes weeks.

If i'm out for a long time between 10am and 2pm, i will put on spf 15 sunscreen. if it's after 3pm...sometimes i will put on sunscreen, sometimes i won't.

My face does get too red at times but i wouldn't call it a flare.

Also, i want to add. I'm a vegetarian who tries to be a vegan raw foodist as much as possible. There is a theory (not sure if there's a study but many Vegan Raw Foodists are convinced it's true) that organic vegan raw foodists don't burn as easily as the general population. I quickly googled it and found this site. is it true? is it not? you can decide:

http://www.soystache.com/prevent-sunburn.htm