Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here not have sensitivity to the sun?

Default Does anyone here not have sensitivity to the sun?

I just wanted to know if anyone here does not feel that they are sensitive to the sun. For example, you could go out to the beach on a sunny day with no hat and for a few hours and come out okay. (as in not burned)

I know there are Mexicans, Chinese, Germans.... all kinds of people on here... can any of us tolerate the sun...?

You are wearing sunscreen and going about like a normal person on the beach. Just without a hat or coverage. From 10 am to 2 pm....

Just wondering....

Good question Blake.

I am guessing some of this will have to do with your skin type ie fair vs medium vs olive etc.
    I am interested to see the replies.

Auburn says she can be in the sun for 20 min midday without sunblock without any issues though once you get color damage from the UV rays is already done. The problem is that things are different than they were hundreds/thousands of years ago. The ozone layer is quite depleted and other factors that go into it all.

yup it takes a lot for me to burn, even when i'm on lymecycline (sp) which is supposed to make you more sensitive. i'm white australian, with slightly olive skin.

i don't find sunlight has any impact on my redness/general condition either.

Quote Originally Posted by solutionquest View Post
    I just wanted to know if anyone here does not feel that they are sensitive to the sun. For example, you could go out to the beach on a sunny day with no hat and for a few hours and come out okay. (as in not burned)

I know there are Mexicans, Chinese, Germans.... all kinds of people on here... can any of us tolerate the sun...?

You are wearing sunscreen and going about like a normal person on the beach. Just without a hat or coverage. From 10 am to 2 pm....

Just wondering....
    Hi there,
    For years I didn't wear sunscreen - one of the causes, I believe, of the deterioration of my skin and without a doubt a contributing factor to my rosacea.
    However, with factor 50 sunblock - which contains both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide - I can brave the sun while mountain walking/climbing between 10 and 2 - in fact, for most of the day - without burning. But - and it's a big but - I reapply the sunblock every couple of hours, so thickly at times that I look a ghost. However, where we go mountaineering and fell-walking, we rarely meet another soul, so I'm not likely to given anyone nightmares. I can return home after eight hours in the sun without even the slightest of tans. However, it has to be sunblock, not just sun cream.
    best,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by ColinPT View Post
    Hi there,
    For years I didn't wear sunscreen - one of the causes, I believe, of the deterioration of my skin and without a doubt a contributing factor to my rosacea.
    However, with factor 50 sunblock - which contains both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide - I can brave the sun while mountain walking/climbing between 10 and 2 - in fact, for most of the day - without burning. But - and it's a big but - I reapply the sunblock every couple of hours, so thickly at times that I look a ghost. However, where we go mountaineering and fell-walking, we rarely meet another soul, so I'm not likely to given anyone nightmares. I can return home after eight hours in the sun without even the slightest of tans. However, it has to be sunblock, not just sun cream.
    best,
    Colin
    Yes, I agree it must be reapplied every couple of hours.
    I am in the sun all day for at least 8 hours many many days and wear a sunblock of spf 60 and reapply every couple of hours and for the most part am OK. Though occasionally I do experience a reaction (I have PLE so that is why) to the sun. It seems almost random as to why some days and not others but in any case I know some sun is still getting through because by the end of the summer my back is much more tan than the rest of my body (I am cycling so my back is facing the sun).

It is distressing as I am doing everything I can to prevent the sun from doing damage to my body and still no matter what I do I get sun on my back. I never get red as I guess the sunblock is taking care of that issue so that is something and my face is always out of the sun as I am facing down as well as wearing sunblock. But still, short of wearing a long sleeve sun protective shirt there is no way to totally protect oneself from the sun when outside the majority of the day. And let's face it, on hot days who wants to wear sun protective clothing all over their bodies. I tried it due to the PLE reaction I sometimes have and it's too darn hot. Even with the special aeration qualities built into the clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Yes, I agree it must be reapplied every couple of hours.
    I am in the sun all day for at least 8 hours many many days and wear a sunblock of spf 60 and reapply every couple of hours and for the most part am OK. Though occasionally I do experience a reaction (I have PLE so that is why) to the sun. It seems almost random as to why some days and not others but in any case I know some sun is still getting through because by the end of the summer my back is much more tan than the rest of my body (I am cycling so my back is facing the sun).
    Sorry to hear you have PLE - it must be frustrating, particularly if you're spending so much time outdoors. I agree with 'some days its fine, some days not' issue with regard to the sun, because while I don't burn when I have sunblock on, on some days I do feel that I've caught the sun more than others - skin feels tighter and tinglier - but I put that down to the generally unpredictable nature of the (rosacean) skin's reaction to different stimuli.

How long does the PLE take to clear up? My instinct would be to say 'to hell with it' and to tolerate the consequences rather than have to cover up ever inch of my skin in hot weather. But then I don't have PLE so it's easy for me to say!

Default thanks and

Interesting replies so far...

I am coming to some conclusions on what may be the most major factors of my rosacea and how I can tackle them... and if done right, I think my face could hit the sun much more....

Right now I am going to stay on my current system because there is steady improvement... but, I think I know a few things that would be key for "THE SOLUTION"

Quote Originally Posted by ColinPT View Post
    Sorry to hear you have PLE - it must be frustrating, particularly if you're spending so much time outdoors. I agree with 'some days its fine, some days not' issue with regard to the sun, because while I don't burn when I have sunblock on, on some days I do feel that I've caught the sun more than others - skin feels tighter and tinglier - but I put that down to the generally unpredictable nature of the (rosacean) skin's reaction to different stimuli.

How long does the PLE take to clear up? My instinct would be to say 'to hell with it' and to tolerate the consequences rather than have to cover up ever inch of my skin in hot weather. But then I don't have PLE so it's easy for me to say!
    I apply topical steroids to the areas that are affected (luckily my face is not affected) which are usually my thighs and my arms and it clears up in a couple of days usually. I tried covering up but I just couldn't take the heat and I also love feeling the sun on my skin. Interestingly it is supposed to happen at the beginning of the season but for the last 2 summers it happened in August I think. Go figure LOL but I am grateful that it hasn't been so bad to prevent me from enjoying the outdoors. It is very itchy and hot but tolerable and thankfully cleared up with the steroids.
    Fingers crossed that this year won't be bad either.

I figure what doesn't kill us makes us stronger ;)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by solutionquest View Post
    Interesting replies so far...

I am coming to some conclusions on what may be the most major factors of my rosacea and how I can tackle them... and if done right, I think my face could hit the sun much more....

Right now I am going to stay on my current system because there is steady improvement... but, I think I know a few things that would be key for "THE SOLUTION"

That's very good news Blake. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts and insights.

I used to spend a substantial amount of time in the sun for summer jobs back in high school. One thing I never knew until late in my time was the fact that SPF doesn't really matter, so I was using sunscreens with too little zinc oxide and not reapplying frequently enough. Nowadays I know better, but I still notice that when I'm out in the sun with my ultra sunscreen on I still get a pseudo-sunburn which manifests itself in the form of a strong flush that lingers practically the rest of the day. It doesn't take long for this pseudo-sunburn to take place. Does anyone else get this?