Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last minute questions before first honey mask..

Quote Originally Posted by teachingking View Post

I am just curious if it is normal for the skin to feel tight while the mask is on.
    I don't believe it's been reported, at least not often. My skin never felt tight under the mask, then again, I've never used the type of honey you are using. Try adding a tiny bit more water next time, a drop or two more, and let us know if that makes any difference.

Incidentally, my skin seemed to react quite well to the first honey mask.
    How so?
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFaceKid View Post

I have noticed that if I leave the honey on my face for too long I get breakouts on my nasal folds.
    Thank you for reporting that, RFK. Very helpful information for those who are thinking about starting this treatment.

It's safer to stick to the three-hour routine, at least during the first weeks.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Hi, I would just like to reply to this thread with my own experience. I tried raw honey masks for one week and had to quit (at least the full mask) after that because I noticed my rosacea disliking it quite a bit (face significantly more red and blotchy after the mask than before). Admittedly I dove head-first (ha) into the treatment without doing a spot-test and left it on for the three hours from the get-go. However, as far as I know, it's better not to upset your skin at all, and if you know you react badly to something, to stop immediately. I woke up today with some horrible flaking in my eyebrows and I tried honey, but only on my eyebrow area, which seems to be okay with the honey. I will try this for a while, since I don't really have bad SD anywhere else on my face it seems (just on my widow's peak, but I don't really want to get honey in my hair every second day).
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    I don't believe it's been reported, at least not often. My skin never felt tight under the mask, then again, I've never used the type of honey you are using. Try adding a tiny bit more water next time, a drop or two more, and let us know if that makes any difference.
    I am actually wondering if I mixed in too much water. Mixing such a small amount seems cumbersome to me. I prefer to make a batch of water/honey mixture, but am not sure if this diminishes the hydrogen peroxide production as it sits over time. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    How so?
    I would say I perceived a reduction in redness/inflammation. This was only after one day though, so I'll be curious to see what happens over time.

Quote Originally Posted by teachingking View Post

I prefer to make a batch of water/honey mixture, but am not sure if this diminishes the hydrogen peroxide production as it sits over time. What do you think?
    I think it might.

Try using a dropper. 10 - 15 drops of water should be enough for two teaspoons of honey.

Applied my second honey mask tonight. Again, after a couple of hours it felt like the honey had dried on my face making it feel tight. Overall, it just felt uncomfortable. The honey was still sticky to the touch though. Face feels fine now after rinsing and moisturizing.

I am wondering if I should attempt to apply more honey next time?

Default Helped my rosacea flare/papules after first use

I used honey mixed with water for as a 3 hr mask for my out-of-control rosacea flare, and it was amazing how calm and smooth my skin was the next day; I applied it all over and down my neck a bit, even on non-rosacea areas. I haven't had a chance to use it again for 3 hrs since then, only a half hour (due to work the last 3 days), but it has had a healing effect on my skin each time.

I initially mixed up too much honey/water so I just popped it in the fridge; I'm assuming it will be okay for just a few days. I might have used too much water, but it worked quite well for me. I used a heaping baby-spoon of honey and a half-spoon of water. Not the exact measurements for the seb derm treatment, I think, but nice enough for my skin.

It did take a bit of patient mixing to get the honey and water to mix, but not a problem! My mask also did "dry" but it never felt uncomfortable. I had one or two itchy spots, just the stickiness, I guess, and I pressed it as Auburn suggested and continued on my laptop

I also washed first, applied, left on for 3 hrs, then rinsed with water and a micro-fiber cloth, and applied my serum and moisturizer.

Thanks for the feedback Cathy. Hope it continues to go well for you.

I've been reading about honey for a while, finally decided to give it a go.

I've put it on my forehead three times, doesn't irritate my skin, doesn't really seem to do much to be honest except possibly break me out. Yesterday I put it on my cheeks for the first time. While it was on my face it was fine, no stinging, very slight itching but that's nothing to worry about, but today my skin seems worse than it has been: redder, warmer, not so calm. Coincidence or a sign the honey isn't for me?

Should I even try it again?

Quote Originally Posted by faust405245 View Post
    I've been reading about honey for a while, finally decided to give it a go.

I've put it on my forehead three times, doesn't irritate my skin, doesn't really seem to do much to be honest except possibly break me out. Yesterday I put it on my cheeks for the first time. While it was on my face it was fine, no stinging, very slight itching but that's nothing to worry about, but today my skin seems worse than it has been: redder, warmer, not so calm. Coincidence or a sign the honey isn't for me?

Should I even try it again?
    I put my honey mask on today for 3 hrs, and for some reason, my jaw was itchy on the right, and my cheek was burning on the left. When I removed the mask, my skin was very soft as usual, but pustules had come up on the burning area, and my cheeks were redder and warmer also.

I'm going to take a week off, and try again on a smaller area.