Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting the Honey treatment with pics. Advice please.

Default Starting the Honey treatment with pics. Advice please.

Hello All,

Like many others I'm so tired of SD that it has driven me crazy to find a way to control it.
    I believe it all started when i had a bad case of adult chicken pox. I was 23 and was hit hard by the chicken pox. I always heard that Vitamin E Oil helps get rid of scars so i applied the oil all over my face where i had a chicken pox scar. Well the oil saturated my skin and i then began to break out with bad acne. To combat the acne i started a low dose of Accutane prescribed by my dermatologist. The Accutane worked to dry my skin and slowly the acne dried up and went away but i was left with a mild case of Rosacea. After several years of flushing and blushing the rosacea subdued but now the Seb Derm started and for the last three years it has gotten worse. I hate complaining about this non life threatening disease because i know there are much worse and i should be so lucky but Seb Derm is wicked. Its both mentally and physical draining.

I came about this forum after i read about the Raw honey treatment performed in 2001 in Iran. (I think it was Iran). Anyways, I went out and purchased raw honey from an all natural health store 12 days ago and i started my first raw honey(applied honey all over scalp, ears and face) treatment on March 20, 2010. I've applied the treatment 6 times so far with today being the 6th treatment. The first four days were good but Ive relapsed over the last few days. I have noticed that my scalp isn't nearly as flaky (just small tiny flakes now) and the Seb Derm in and around my ears is 95% gone. My ears where getting bad before this and would never stop flaking. I hate to get my hopes up but my scalp and ears are better, however, my face is still red and stingy. Although i have noticed that the flakes around my nose and cheeks are smaller (compared to the larger flakes and nasty dry patches i used to get) but the redness is still there. And, i had a SD break out last night when i washed my face with Cetaphill facial soap and Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizers. The cetaphil moisturizer along with other lotions really irradiated my face and 99% of the time it makes it worse so i end up usually washing all the lotion off by the end of the night because it stings and gets so red.

I've been using Ketconazole shampoo 2% for the last three years and it has helped with the scalp part of SD but never really has helped with the face. Good news is i used to use the Ketconazloe shampoo ever other day and since i started the honey treatment i haven't used it once nor have i needed to. I've also been using Hydrocortizone cream 2.5% for the face for the last 6 weeks (i just discontinued using it once i started the honey treatment 12 days ago).

I've attached some pictures that i took today and i plan on updated the pics as i continue on with the Honey Treatment.

Auburn if your out there i can use any advice you have to give.

Thanks
    Damien

Any advice would help greatly.
    Attached Images

Default Edit

I'm sorry I posted the wrong start date for the honey treatment.
    I started on March 30, 2010. 11 days ago.
    Sorry

Damien

Hi Damien,

Do you have any photos that show what your face looked like before you started the raw honey masks? Your current photos show what appears to be rather mild seb derm but since you've been using prescription strength steroid cream on your face for six weeks and quit using it cold turkey only 12 days ago you may be experiencing some rebound effects from that and that's probably why you are seeing some flareups.

Please, do not use the steroid cream again, even if things seem to get worse for a while; it will pass, you just need to give it time. In your case, and precisely because you've been using the steroid cream, it may take longer than four weeks for the seb derm to subside. The raw honey will not make the seb derm worse but the steroid cream will, without a doubt, please know that.

If you continue with the treatment, you won't need the Ketconazole shampoo. A regular SLS-free shampoo will be fine.

Looks like you are not using virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer. Unless you are allergic to it, do give it a try (please read this: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=20789), it really complements the raw honey masks beautifully.

I'd also stop using the Cetaphil soap, at least for now, and just use the raw honey to cleanse your face (instructions here: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=20697).

It would be wonderful if you could update with more photos as you continue the treatment.

Hang in there, it'll take a few more weeks. Just have to be patient and consistent with this thing.

Take care.

(BTW, the study was done in Dubai.)
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Unfortunately, i don't have any pics from before the honey treatment. You couldn't catch me in front of a camera to save my life. But, you got me thinking. My condition was much worse than what the pictures show. The redness/dry/flakes was much worse and on both sides of the my nose down my checks and even patches below my mouth into my goat tee( these patches just came in a year ago and haven't subdued a bit). The redness was dark and the flakes where much larger and prominent. I guess i didn't give enough credit for what it has done to my face. Now that i look at those pictures again it wasn't near as bad as before i started the treatment. And, the SD is mostly on one side of my face instead of the usual both sides being affected. Sorry, I'm just a little over zealous right now with the thought of controlling this disease. I don't have severe SD yet but i feel I'm not far off if something doesn't give. I live in cold northwest Ohio. No sun and winters are harsh.

Face: What i have noticed since starting the treatment is that the viscous cycle has been shorter and the redness fades much quicker. For instance, before the treatment the dark patchy redness would last for two to three days before it would dry and flake off over the next three days. The cycle would last 4-7 days. Since the treatment the red flare ups are only lasting one day, the drying and flaking is lasting another day and the flakes are much smaller. The cycle is down to 1-2 days but then it flares right back up. Hopefully, this cycle will completely slow down with further treatments.

I'll definitely try the honey wash and first thing tomorrow I'm going to buy virgin coconut oil. I'm desperate for something to moisturize my skin. I can never find anything that works. Everything i use like lotions or moisturizers make my condition worse. Its so hard sometimes because the dryness after a shower or a face wash (even with just cool water) is torture. My face gets so tight and dry that it hurts badly.

Thank you so much for the help and i will try to post pics regularly

Thanks
    Damien.

Thank you, Damien, for taking the time to write in such detail about how your skin is reacting to the raw honey masks. Your posts are extremely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post

Now that i look at those pictures again it wasn't near as bad as before i started the treatment. And, the SD is mostly on one side of my face instead of the usual both sides being affected.
    I'm very glad to hear that.

Since the treatment the red flare ups are only lasting one day, the drying and flaking is lasting another day and the flakes are much smaller. The cycle is down to 1-2 days but then it flares right back up. Hopefully, this cycle will completely slow down with further treatments.
    Hopefully, it will. Expect some ups and downs in the next week or two, nothing alarming, though.

If at all possible, try to do the honey masks in the evenings; your face will look much calmer the following morning.

I'll definitely try the honey wash and first thing tomorrow I'm going to buy virgin coconut oil. I'm desperate for something to moisturize my skin.
    OK but before you start using the oil, please go to the primer page (http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=20789) and read the note about the oil, that really is very important. I know you've had a very bad experience with the vitamin E oil. The virgin coconut oil will not saturate your skin if you apply it as noted.

Its so hard sometimes because the dryness after a shower or a face wash (even with just cool water) is torture. My face gets so tight and dry that it hurts badly.
    Try cleansing and moisturizing your face before stepping into the shower (that's what I do) and don't let the water/shampoo touch your face at all while showering. This really helps and you'll notice that your face stays cool.

If your skin feels that dry now, you may need to moisturize with the oil in the afternoons too. Perhaps you could put some in a little container to take with you to work. You'll probably only have to do this for a couple of weeks.

Thank you so much for the help and i will try to post pics regularly
    Thank you for this thread.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Auburn,

quick question? The only cocanut oil I could find today was LouAnas Pure cocanut oil.
    Will this work.

Hi Damien,

If it doesn't say "virgin" on the label, it's refined. I don't know if refined coconut oil works. Did you buy it from a supermarket? Does it smell and taste like coconut?

auburn

It doesn't smell like cocanut and it doesn't say virgin anywhere. It only says Pure.
    I guess I'll wait till Monday.

Thank you for the quick response.

Damien

and I did buy it at walmart. All the natural food stores were already closed

You are welcome, Damien.

Do get the virgin oil Monday but, since you've opened this jar already and probably won't be returning it for a refund, I'd just go ahead and use the refined oil tonight and tomorrow. It may not work as well as the virgin oil but it will not hurt your skin either. Hopefully, it will help alleviate that terrible dryness.

If you have a minute, do google the keywords "medium-chain fatty acids" + "coconut oil" + "good fats" and, if what you learn makes sense to you, keep the refined oil and use it in your cooking.