Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seb Derm I know, but Raw Honey for Redness?

Default Seb Derm I know, but Raw Honey for Redness?

Hello,

I've been reading a lot of posts about people having success using raw honey to treat their seb derm but am wondering if anyone is having success with general redness due to rosacea?

I apologize if this question is duplicated somewhere.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Glad you asked that question. I too would like to know if members with rosacea only have tried this and with what results.

Earlier today a member asked a similar question, below is my reply. I hope you find it helpful:

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by yellowred View Post
    And also I'm going to try the raw honey + coconut oil treatment, I hope see improvements in inflmation and redness at least....
    Well, both are 100% natural substances, have similar anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties and are great skin conditioners. You may find that with the raw honey masks and the oil your skin feels calmer as some of the irritation/inflammation subsides.

Sounds like you are between treatments now so you really have nothing to lose. If this doesn't make much of difference in terms of redness, at least it will help heal your skin barrier and, at the very least, for a few weeks your skin will get a nice break from chemicals.

BTW, you'll probably need to apply the mask on face only. Please do spot-test first, just in case.

What to expect:

During the first week, some tingling/itching while you have the mask on. Please don't scratch, just press gently on the itchy spot with your finger and it will pass. Your skin may feel a tad warmer, too, but it shouldn't feel hot and when you rinse the honey off, you'll notice slightly increased redness but this will subside overnight and your skin will look paler in the morning.

Some days it will look as if the redness is increasing or spreading but it really doesn't.

During the second week you should definitely start seeing some improvement in texture and tone and it only gets better after that.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

I have rosacea only, and I have used Manuka Honey with great success over the past few years. I didn't even know it was rosacea until recently, but yes it calms both P&P's & diffuse redness (to some degree). Highly recommend it as a tool in the cabinet, for anyone who does not have a honey sensitivity or allergy. Love love love my Manuka Honey. I didn't have any available during the worst of my flare this winter - once I got restocked, it's been a huge help in bringing things under control.
    Last edited by bellableu; 25th March 2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: missing a word
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

I know this has been asked before, but does it matter which type? Whole Foods has a number of 'raw' honey varieties, some from local sources. I didn't see Makuna as one of them however.

Hi Teachingking,

It really doesn't matter the type of honey you buy, doesn't have to be Manuka either. Just make sure it's labeled raw, unprocessed/unheated and that it contains nothing but honey (no flavors, no herbs). Locally produced honey is the best choice.

In a few more weeks you'll start seeing freshly collected honey at farmers' markets. You can enter your zip code here: http://www.localharvest.org/search.j...ut.x=0&but.y=0 to find raw honey near you.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Default Raw Honey

I think Raw Honey works well for ROSACEA. I am not exactly sure that I have SEB DERM, I KNOW that I have ROSACEA.

I think it helps with redness and helps reduce oiliness. It also seems to exfoliate in a gentle way. I think my face has never looked better.

However, did have a negative comment the other day out of nowhere. GOD, how I hate those... I pulled the person aside afterwards and told them how rude what they said was.

THE FRUSTRATION.

BUT, I feel my face has never been doing better.......

50 mg Doxy
    Zinc
    Melatonin
    Lot's of water
    No sun
    Colopin (small dose of anxiety med)
    Raw Honey

My list is growing!!!

Default Honey and rosacea

Yay for everyone's good results- Auburn and Judy and Blake and Bellableu!!

I am going to try honey for my rosacea so I will post my results. I hope to buy raw unprocessed honey today and will check my local health food store.
    I have only one worry and that is am I allergic to honey as I am very allergic to many things including pollen etc
    Anyone have any insight to know if one is allergic to honey?

I am only going to spot test at first and take it from there. I am looking forward to my experiment.

Fingers crossed

Melissa,

In your case, I think it'd be safer to spot-rest for a couple of days and not on the face the first day. I'd dab a bit of raw honey mixed with a drop of water on your neck or behind an ear. Leave on for an hour or two and see what happens.

BTW, if you go to farmers' markets in your area (they might have started already) you'll start seeing freshly collected raw honey sometime in May, however, some farmers/beekeepers may still have a few jars left from last fall. Use the localharvest website to find farmers' markets near you.

Eating a small amount of locally produced raw honey daily helps build up an immunity to pollen as this honey contains tiny amounts of pollen from plants in your area. See here: http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs...9/jmf.2006.163

Thanks for the info Auburn.
    I do have eczema issues especially regarding my neck and face so perhaps I would be better off testing on the inside of my arm at first? I am afraid of testing products on my neck as everything seems to set off my eczema there. Even more so than my face...
    I tried the coconut oil (very sparingly) and it set off the eczema on my neck

We do have a farmers market right near me on Saturdays. I don't know if they would have raw honey now as it is only March still unless as you say they have it left over from last autumn.
    Do you think I would be better off with the honey at the farmers market if they have it or is the local health food store just as good?

In any case I am going to resist the urge to slather it on my face immediately (though it will be difficult ). I can be impulsive at times so need to keep reminding myself to go slowly and cautiously!!

Auburn,

Thanks for all the information on this. Taking raw honey internally is supposed to be good for the gut/immunity anyway, but do you think it helps with skin problems? Any idea how much to start with?

Thanks,