Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shaving

Default shaving

I use a mach 3 razor and seem to aggravate my Rosacea symptoms especially my neck and chin. I don't use any shaving cream it makes it worse. Just shave after i get out of the shower and splash some water on my face. I was wondering if using an electric razor would be better and what type. Seems that if I don't shave for a couple of days my face gets better so that tells me shaving aggravates things or at least close shaving. Recommendations? thanks

Just warm water ... Ouch... That would hurt I would think, even after a long shower to loosen it up, I cant shave baby soft way anymore bc of my skin so Yes I use a simple electric and it works pretty well.

Hi Saltboat, (neat screen name, btw)

I'm pretty sure that you didn't expect to get advice from a woman but I'm married to a beautiful man who has a very tough stubble. He'd been using those multiple blade razors since he was a teen, starting with the single blade ones and I think the last one he used had something like five blades. He tried all kinds of shaving creams and all kinds of shaving methods (shaving before, during and after taking a shower, hot towel barber style, cold water, using hair conditioner instead or shaving cream, you name it) and, no matter what, his face was always irritated, he'd get ingrown hairs. He doesn't have rosacea but everyday shaving was really hurting his skin.

Then he bought a nice electric shaver and was very happy with it at first but had to stop using it about a year later because it had started to irritate his skin even with new shaving heads. Back to shaving with multiple blade razors he went. Same problems as before.

I did some research and learned that many men with thick beards and sensitive skin had gone back to straight edge safety razors so I went to Amazon and ordered a German safety razor that had the best reviews together with a highly rated Italian shaving soap and Swedish blades. When the package arrived I told him, I know this is like going back to the Middle Ages but please do give it a try. He was hesitant, afraid he'd wind up butchering his face.

Next morning my hubby happily proclaims "Best thing ever!" That was two years ago. The straight razor shaves super close and doesn't irritate his skin at all. He'll never go back to those multiple blade razors.

These are the products I bought for him:

Razor: Amazon.com: Merkur Classic Safety Razor, Straight...Amazon.com: Merkur Classic Safety Razor, Straight...
    Blades: Amazon.com: "Derby Extra" Stainless...Amazon.com: "Derby Extra" Stainless...
    Shaving cream: Amazon.com: Omega Eucalyptus Shaving Soap in Bowl...Amazon.com: Omega Eucalyptus Shaving Soap in Bowl...

I hope this helps.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

1. After shower use cetaphil cleanser and rub on very gently in a circular motion on cheeks and face (to soften hairs).

2. Try "Eau Thermale Avene Shaving Foam". It is one of the few that does not irritate my skin. Apply over the cetaphil very gently in a curcular motion. Let sit for 2 minutes before shaving for penetration and softening of follicles.

http://www.boots.com/en/Eau-Thermale...-200ml_985456/

3. I find the Mach's can be a little too close of a shave. Try a Sensor Excel and of course in case you don't, always, always shave with the grain not against it.

http://www.boots.com/en/Gillette-Sen...-Razor_998596/
    Last edited by RedFaced; 29th March 2010 at 04:52 AM.

Hi, your problem is that your skin is very sensitive and it get hurt when you do the shaving. the good solution is that avoid shaving frequently but it is not possible.the same problem I also have so I visited to doctor and he gave suggestion that use any antiseptic water to wash you razor and brush and he gave some anti allergic medicines.

I think also shaving with just water is going to lead to irritation. Try shaving with a shaving cream designed for sensitive skin and see how that works.

Good suggestions. Thanks. Does anyone know of a good current electric razor.

My husband says the Braun electric razors are supposed to be quite good...
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ote=1&p=234299

Hi Redfaced, I wanted to get the shaving foam but looks like they only deliver in the UK.