Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of clonidine & remeron!

Default In praise of clonidine & remeron!

Hi,

I just wanted to come on here and thank Natalja and also WrinkledClue for helping me and advising me of the relief they experienced w/ these medications.

I have been taking remeron 30 mgs sense October 09' I beleive and Clonodine sense the begining of this month. Remeron on it's own I would say helped my flushing by 15-25%, then w/ clonodine in the mix the combo reduces my flushing by I'd guess 50-75%!! I am SO grateful!! For the first time in a long time I'm able to walk into the bathroom and my face is almost the same color as the rest of my body!! My face has been permanently dark pink to dark red for a very long time due to the frequency and intensity of my flushing... I guess now that I'm not flushing nearly as often the blood isn't as active and easily triggered leading to a much calmer face!! I always knew that in theory if I could improve my flushing that my face wouldn't be so red but I never knew how to stop the flushing!

I can now cook dinner without my cheeks going purple and feeling bruised! Yes- I am a little red and flustured but not nearly as much as before. I still can flush and do at times but the severity, frequency, and intensity of my flushes have been greatly reduced!!

Oh- I do have low blood pressure as is, although I'm very small so I'm guessing mine is in reality "normal" for my size and body type but my Dr. does advise me to moniter my BP but considering how bad my flushing had become it's worth it! I went from rarely flushing when rosacea was initially triggered to getting more and more severe with the flushing as time went on!

My only fear is that I likely have bad raynauds in my feet, and w/ my BP I'm scared my rheumatologist might try to take me off it. Presently I'm taking 0.05 mgs of clonodine 2x a day, yes I realize I need to take it 3x a day, but my Dr. prescribed me 0.025 mgs 3x a day to try and its in reality impossible to get the pills that small so I just take half the pill 2x a day. I wake up flushed and my cheeks red but it goes away when I take my first dose. At my appt. I'm going to have my Dr. up the dose so I'll be able to take it 0.05 3x a day.

Well, enough rambling, just wanted to say thanks!! It has really made a difference for me and life is becoming more and more manageable by the day as I'm no longer flushing from EVERYTHING as I was before!! Can't thank you both enough!
    Last edited by bluesky; 25th March 2010 at 04:07 AM.

Great to hear bluesky!

How has you appetite been since on remeron, have you gained weight?

Unfortunately i had to stop the clonidine, i took it for about 3 weeks this time was the 2nd time i tried the clonidine. My eyes got severely dry and it was also drying my nose inside severely that my nose was flushing alot which it rarely flushed b/4 clonidine. I also could not sleep at night causing me to have imsomnia and made me get up to pee during the night sometimes twice. In the late afternoon I was so sleepy driving home was a challenge trying to keep my eyes open. Even exercising was hard just had no energy. then at the 3rd week I started to get severe pain in my joints and bones. Also started to get a slight ringing in my ears so I had to stop. The clonidine helped me around 15% improvement was not much for all the suffering I was going through. Not sure if the aches in my bones was due to the clonidine and the muscle tiwitching or that I also found out around the same time that my Vitamin D level was severely low. I was also very forgetful on the clonidine. The 1st time i got the bad symptoms around the 6th day on it this time around it came around the 3rd week.

Wishing you continued success!

i think the combo of remeron and clonidine work best, it would for sure help with the imsomnia.

Since March 5, 2010 I stopped the clonidine and March 9 started 10,000 IU V3 daily per my rheumatologist. Have you checked your VD levels?
    using elidel at night, taking atelenol, had 2 vbeam laser treatments, 46 year old female

Aaaah, so happy you finally gave it a shot Bluesky, thanks for the update as well! I agree that the combo is working better then the ones apart, am happy you have some quality of life back. Remeron also acts as an antihistamine and Dr. Chu (my London derm who prescribes this combo) even said he believes it has some anti-inflammatory actions. Anyway, I agree that when the flushing is less, the eneral redness of the face is calming down too and so is the burning sensation. I am still on the combo, for more than 4 years now anddon't want to stop with it for a long time.
    It is wise though to start taking 0,5 mg of clonidine every 8 hours dear, it can cause rebound flushing otherwise ad works approxemately 8 hours. Just show you doc the good results and explain the half time of clonidine is short and it gives rebound flushing (he can read that in all the medical papers though,it's well known of clonidine).

I have the Raynauds issue as well. Have been tested and diagnosed with it some years ago and the betablocker and clonidine I use are not something the doctor was happy with, but I explained that the rosacea was too severeotherwise and the dermatology issue was more important for me that cold hand and feet (they get bright red and swollen even in the winter, but I can't care about it, as my face gives me so much more pain if not treated). So you might want to make a choice there. I really think the Raynauds is nothing more than an inconvenience compared to the constant flushed and burning face, that will give damage to your blood vessels and worsen the rosacea over time.

Please keep us updated and be aware of the carb cravings! Remeron will make you want to eat the donuts by the dozen, so be careful with that, as it will make your body store fat more easily too. But I know several people on it who haven't gained any weight at all, jut be wise with your diet.

Best wishes Natalja

Default Re: In addition to remeron/clonidine

Hi Bluesky,

If you have trouble with extreme redness and flushing, have you also considered the
    IPL Lasers? They have been about the only thing that works for me.

If you did all of these, you would probably be flush-free!

Does Remeron help with depression at all?
    Doug

AND can you take Remeron with an oral antibiotic (minocycline)?
    Doug

Doug-

It has definitely helped my depression, although sometimes I can't say if I'm less depressed because my flushing is so much better etc. but either way it has definitely helped and I am much more positive and hopeful now.

Before remeron and clonodine I was so depressed I can't tell you- it was honestly the darkest time of my entire life and everything was just way too much on me; now I am so much more hopeful and have alot of perseverance, even when flushing etc. or having a bad skin day where as before I just wanted to climb into a hole and never come out! I will say I feel like the 30 mgs is more helpful for the depression than the 15 mgs which is what I started out on.

As far as taking remeron with antibiotics I think it's fine- I took it with accutane, but you should check with your Dr. just to make sure there aren't any interactions.

Thanks BlueSky!

I have days like you had where I just want to crawl into a hole and hide forever. So you take Remeron and Clonodin? or just Remeron?

I am going to call my Dr on Monday!
    Doug

Sorry. I read yorurearlier post where you take both! :-)
    Doug

I never thought Chlondine helped until I stopped taking it. It helps, not a huge amount, but it sure does lol