Thread: Pityriasis Rosea

Default Pityriasis Rosea

Here is a new rosacea mimic I never heard of:

Pityriasis Rosea

liangjuany just reported today, "I saw another doctor today and was told what I had was not rosacea but pityriasis rosea instead....."

liangjuany doesn't say if the initial diagnosis was rosacea but the point is one more rosacea mimic to differentiate.

AOCD on Pityriasis Rosea
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

I had this when I was 21yrs old.....it was on my back, front trunk areas and out spread to my arms and some of my upper thighs.....I remember the derm back then telling me they thought it was caused by some type of virus and it would run it's coruse in several weeks or so.....I had to pick up this thick pink lotion in a huge jar....think of a commerical size mayo jar LOL...reminded me of the pink calamine lotion for chicken pocks...it may have been with something else added in by the pharmacy.......they never told me to go in the sun...it was spring time when it happened. I guess if this was on your face you might mistake it for rosacea but not likely IMO.....It really appeared to look like super sized chicken pock spots......I remember mine itching....I had to soak in oatmeal bath also. There was no flushing or burning involved with this skin disease....itching for sure LOL! Doc told me I had a bulls eye on my back that told him I had pityriasis Rosea....diagnosised me in about 30secs.

I wish rosacea would go away as quickly as this stuff does
    Dx 1998

Default very different from rosacea

From what I have read about this skin condition it rarely affects the face and is so different from rosacea from your description and what the literature says about it that I really don't think this is a rosacea mimic at all. I wonder if liangjuany ever had a diagnosis of rosacea or not because she implies the second doc changed the diagnosis. I am not adding Pityriasis Rosea to my rosacea mimics list since it is so different.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

ITA Brady....there is no way this could be mixed up with rosacea IMO.
    Dx 1998

I just read some of the posts on the other forums (not a member on them) and I am now wondering if this 70yr old man has shingles outbreak? My Mom recently had this and it can and does go on the neck ears and side of face and eyes also....it is painful and some doctors misdiagnosis it.....he is at the age that it generally strikes.
    Dx 1998

Default Pityriasis Rosea

Hey, I've had rosacea for at least 10 years -I'm pretty sure it came on so strongly because of taking stuff for achne, different prescriptions.
    I came down with Pityriasis Rosea last year in September or October and it rocked my world. It is a rash -I'm not sure how I got it but know I had been hanging out with some strangers. First you get a very small rash (I got it on my chest and armpit. Then you've got two or three days of terrible headaches and nausea and dizzyness (sp.). In total it lasts about two weeks (be sure never to scratch the rash as it irritates it more and can make it spread. I don't think there is any cure -you just have to sit it out. But I felt very fatigued and weak for those two weeks -the first few days being the worst. Hope this helps....

Had that some years ago. Readily cleared with application of Nizoral, If I remember.

Safe to say it is no rosacea mimic, though the rosea bit does sound like rosacea. I think a list of diseases that sound like rosacea would he very helpful.

Default Update

I received a personal email from liangjuany who initially posted a second doctor said she/he had pityriasis rosea instead of rosacea and asked liangjuany if the initial diagnosis was rosacea and liangjuany says that "in January I was told the rashes on my month and around my eyelid was rosacea. but I got a very bad reaction following the treatment . recently I was told by another doctor that I have pityriasis rosea. I am not fully convinced by either of them. I just wait and see then."

So again, another anecdotal report of misdiagnosed rosacea. The list I have accumulated is growing. I now have collected 72 reports including liangjuany's. Not a massive problem, but nevertheless, a reported problem that needs further investigation. When you consider that many rosaceans report that their initial diagnosis of rosacea was a rather quick office visit it may explain why reports of misdiagnosis do happen like liangjuany's report. It would be good to get say a 1000 rosaceans report how long their initial office visit was when they were diagnosed with rosacea and how many of these physicians performed any skin biopsies, blood tests, or any other tests to rule out rosacea mimics.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi