Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Demodex -- Vascular Rosacea -- Topicals

Default Demodex -- Vascular Rosacea -- Topicals

I know theres a lot of disagreement but assuming demodex does actually play a role in some rosacea cases (which actually isnt that controversial of a statement) does any know or perhaps have a theory as to wether demodex is possibly releated to only certain types of rosacea?

I've considered some sort of topical to kill demodex on my face, I have vascular rosacea myself, redness, flushing, but no pasts.

Is demodex sort of related more to the acne type of rosaca or vascular or is there really no known answer to this?

Also if anyone wants to throw out any ideas for killing off demodex i'd appreciate it.

Oh yeah just as a side note I've started a candida type diet recently and it has done wonders for my overall condition. Even if you dont think you have any yeast issues I think the candida or sibo diets are great for rosacea.

You can try Sulfur, but i got a prescription which cleared the bumps on my forehead.

Default demodectic rosacea

It is odd to me that demodectic rosacea is a controversy at all when you consider all the research papers on this subject. I have collected a list of such clinical research papers and the number is staggering and I doubt if any other subject studying rosacea has more articles. The most recent article on this subject concluded:

"We recommend the use of SSSB [standardized skin surface biopsy] for the measurement of Dd [density of Demodex folliculorum] as more patients with demodicosis can be diagnosed with this method compared with the DME [direct microscopic examination of fresh secretions from sebaceous glands] method."

What this means is that the researchers have concluded what I have been recommending since 2007 that rosacea sufferers should get a skin biopsy and test for demodex density count.

There are several methods to eradicate demodex:

Ivermectin (Stromectol), Tea Tree Oil, IPL, Camphor Oil, metronidazole, Oil of Oregano, Seabuckthorn Oil, ZZ cream, topically-applied ivermectin to name a few.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post

There are several methods to eradicate demodex:

Ivermectin (Stromectol), Tea Tree Oil, IPL, Camphor Oil, metronidazole, Oil of Oregano, Seabuckthorn Oil, ZZ cream, topically-applied ivermectin to name a few.

Thanks Brady, i'm a fan. You mention oil of oregano, do you mean topical or internal use of that; or both? Tea tree oil seems like the option I may try. Ever hear mention of the borax/h2o2 mixture?

Does topical loprox cream have any effect on demodex? For some reason ive been pretty clear lately and ive been using it once a day for seb derm (ps not sure how long to use it for seb derm, theres no such thing as overuse right?!) Weird cause the first time i used loprox cream like 3 years ago it didnt do much for my bumps. Interesting!!

Default Oil of Oregano

Quote Originally Posted by daftpunk View Post
    Thanks Brady, i'm a fan. You mention oil of oregano, do you mean topical or internal use of that; or both? Tea tree oil seems like the option I may try. Ever hear mention of the borax/h2o2 mixture?
    Oil of Oregano for Rosacea

According to James Meschino, D.C., M.S., a chiropractor, who holds a master's degree in nutrition, "Evidence has been building that shows that there are certain impurities in the bloodstream. The immune cells attack these impurities, producing an immune inflammatory response that can aggravate certain skin conditions, including rosacea..."

Dr. Meschino, Director of the RenaiSanté Institute of Integrative Medicine, has been treating rosaceans with herbs and probiotics. "The only other thing that I do, which is remarkably successful, is to give those clients with rosacea a supplement containing oil of oregano and have them use an oil of oregano topical lotion at night," Dr. Meschino says.

The oil of oregano contains volatile oils, which kill a large variety of microorganisms. It also seems to knock out the skin mite, which has been associated with rosacea, according to Dr. Meschino.

Patients on the oil of oregano see 80 percent to 90 percent improvement in their rosacea, he says.

Dr. Meschino recommends that patients take one 250 mg capsule of the oil of oregano twice a day and use the topical cream nightly rather than during the day because the cream smells like oregano.

Patients should take oil of oregano with foods like yogurt, because the oil is known to kill some of the friendly bacteria in the large intestine. Functional foods, like yogurt, help to replenish the live bacteria." [source]
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Sorry Brady I have one more question for you. Can you suggest some methods of applying the tea tree oil? Sample solutions or carrier oils or even a method?

I'm planning on applying it nightly right now.

Lightbulb Rosacea Vs "Acne Rosacea", the role of the demodex mite

Quote Originally Posted by daftpunk View Post
    I know theres a lot of disagreement but assuming demodex does actually play a role in some rosacea cases (which actually isnt that controversial of a statement) does any know or perhaps have a theory as to wether demodex is possibly releated to only certain types of rosacea?

I've considered some sort of topical to kill demodex on my face, I have vascular rosacea myself, redness, flushing, but no pasts.

Is demodex sort of related more to the acne type of rosaca or vascular or is there really no known answer to this?

Also if anyone wants to throw out any ideas for killing off demodex i'd appreciate it.
    I am full of theories on demodex and rosacea. Most of it probably BS.

Rosacea Vs "Acne Rosacea", the role of the demodex mite

Assume rosacea is a disease that has nothing to do with mites. Assume "acne rosacea" is a strong immune system response to infected mites releasing a bacteria into the skin. It takes a certain quantity of this bacteria before the immune system generates papules and pustules.

Lets say the threshold for getting "acne rosacea" in a normal person is 100 demodex mites in the skin and for a hyper-sensitive person is 5 mites in the skin. Lets say on average a normal person only has 20 mites, so a normal person never gets "acne rosacea". A rosacea person starts with the same 20 mites, but the mite population grows unchecked due to the hot rosacea skin and eventually exceeds the 100 limit. Rosacea person now has "acne rosacea". Rosacea person applies medication, the population drops back to 20 mites and "acne rosacea" disappears. Rosacea person still has rosacea but not "acne rosacea". However hyper-sensitive person nearly always has "acne rosacea" because this person is always above the 5 mite limit and thus has long-term chronic "acne rosacea" but does not need to have rosacea skin.

If you are rosacea person with "acne rosacea". A medication like metronidazole or sulphur, etc., may be enough to drop rosacea person back under the threshold and clear the "acne rosacea". If you are hyper-sensitive person, I strongly recommend topical ivermectin 1%. Use it once every 3 weeks. It keeps the skin clear of chronic "acne rosacea". Oral ivermectin may be effective too, but I have not tested it sufficiently.

Wistar can I ask you where you get your Ivermectin from? What is the preparation?

I was on a Topical Ivermectin trial over a year ago and I had incredible instant results from this trial. From a constantly red and peeling face completely covered with papules I became completely clear with a normal toned skin. I managed to stay in "remission" or what ever you would like to call it for over a year only after using it everyday for 3 months. The trial was supposed to restart some time this year but so far I have had no word.

My face has started to break out again with papules. I have managed to keep myself socially acceptable using Manuka Honey, Eurax and Tea Tree Oil but all this work is quite different from a once a day application of Ivermectin before I go to bed. My children find it amusing though to see Mummy covered in honey every night.

Quote Originally Posted by rachzon View Post
    Wistar can I ask you where you get your Ivermectin from? What is the preparation?

I was on a Topical Ivermectin trial over a year ago and I had incredible instant results from this trial. From a constantly red and peeling face completely covered with papules I became completely clear with a normal toned skin. I managed to stay in "remission" or what ever you would like to call it for over a year only after using it everyday for 3 months. The trial was supposed to restart some time this year but so far I have had no word.

My face has started to break out again with papules. I have managed to keep myself socially acceptable using Manuka Honey, Eurax and Tea Tree Oil but all this work is quite different from a once a day application of Ivermectin before I go to bed. My children find it amusing though to see Mummy covered in honey every night.
    You were using ivermectin as a topical? In the US it's sold OTC as an equine supplement to kill parasites.