Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosacea News Jan/Feb 2010

Default Rosacea News Jan/Feb 2010

Rosacea News Jan/Feb 2010

1. Rosacea features on ABC-TV’s Good Morning America Health

ABC-TV’s Good Morning America Health has featured rosacea in a 7 minute segment broadcast on January 21st.

On the table you can see Oracea, Metrogel and Cetaphil products, all from Galderma. One shot shows the new Cetaphil UVA/UVB Defence SPF 50 as well …

2. Prescription topicals go on first

When rosacea sufferers are first diagnosed it can be confusing to know how to include prescription topicals into their daily skincare regime. Rosacea patients want to know both that their expensive prescription medication has the best chance of working …

3. Apremilast from Celgene being trialled for rosacea

The first time you hear of a new drug, you probably ask – what is it ? Well are you ready for a marketing mouthful – “Apremilast is a novel, orally available small molecule compound that exhibits anti-inflammatory activities through the suppression of multiple pro-inflammatory mediators including, TNF-alpha, interleukins 6, 17 & 23, and interferon-gamma among others.” Apremilast (CC-10004) has been trialled for …

4. Q&A with Clinuvel on Afamelanotide and Melanotan

There is a lot of interest amongst rosacea sufferers surrounding the possibility of some kind of systemic treatment that will offer better UV protection. Especially for those with severe triggers from sun exposure, treatments like Afamelanotide look promising. The CEO and Director of Clinuvel, Dr Philippe Wolgen, was kind enough to answer some questions relating to their developments and any potential tie-in with …

5. Nielson disciplined over Nase’s misrepresentations

The Texas Medical Board has issued a press release with a list of their most recent discipline orders. One of its orders relates to Dr. David Nielson.

Dr. Nielson became known to rosacea sufferers via the way that his Rosacea Institute of Texas was heavily promoted by Geoffrey Nase. The results being promised and the treatment protocols proposed raised the suspicion of some rosacea …

6. Albert Kligman, Acne and Rosacea Pioneer dies at age 93

The name Albert Kligman has been associated with dermatology for a very long time. Perhaps best known for his work with the acne treatment Retin-A, Dr. Kligman is credited with more than 1,500 publications on acne, rosacea, eczema, contact dermatitis and skin aging. According to Albert M. Kligman, 93, dermatology researcher, Dr. Kligman cowrote 14 books, beginning with Textbook on Dermatology, published by …

7. Just how many people have Rosacea ?

The prevalence of rosacea is an often reported fact. Most media releases will start with a statement of the number of rosacea sufferers in the US.

The latest 2010 estimates from the NRS suggest that 16 million Americans suffer from rosacea, up from the last estimate of …

8. 7 Up and Coming Acne Treatments

A recent abstract has highlighted some new acne treatments that perhaps many haven’t heard of before.  As these treatments might not be on the radar for rosacea sufferers I thought it might be useful to highlight them here. Veteran rosacea sufferers will know that many acne treatments are too harsh for rosacea sufferers. Experience seems to show though, that some rosacea sufferers can tolerate …

9. Photodynamic Therapy is being used for cancer too

Photodynamic Therapy (a treatment usually consisting of a photosensitizing agent, light and tissue oxygen) is gaining popularity for its ability to treat more than just skin diseases. Internal organs and cancer sites are now being treated with PDT using endoscopes and fibre optic catheters. Even though some research papers about rosacea and PDT are available, as a rosacea treatment the usage of …

10. Suffering as bad as it gets; Erythropoietic Protoporphyria

A blog posting at Clinuvel interviews a family struggling with the severe disease Erythropoietic Protoporphyria. Parents Wendy and Ralph talk about the distress and anguish at seeing their young children suffer the pain of EPP. Also known as absolution light intolerance, Erythropoietic Protoporphyria (EPP) is caused by a build up of protoporphyrin in the skin. Exposure to the sun causes these molecules to …

11. Natural treatments may be deadly

Several Australian newspapers are running a story today about the risk that comes when people self-diagnose, self-treat and buy supplements off the shelf of a supermarket.

The whole idea of natural treatments is very appealing to many rosacea sufferers. There is certainly a group of rosacea sufferers who see prescription treatments as too artificial and too likely to cause harm. As it almost always the case …

12. Rosacea Psychology questions answered

Every so often, when we are able to solicit the help of experts, the Rosacea Support Group assembles questions that we need answered. Recently we put some questions on the psychology of rosacea to Professor Peter Drummond, Ph.D., from the School of Psychology at Murdoch University in Perth, Western Australia, and his colleague Daphne Su, D.Psych, Clinical Psychologist (Registrar) with the Department of Health …

13. Dr. Syed charged for posing as a doctor

Quite a few news sites today are covering the filing of charges of and arraignment of rosacea identity “Dr. Syed”.

Known to rosacea sufferers as Tanweer A. Syed MD. PhD, 66 year old Timothy Syed Andersson is facing 51 felony charges including practicing medicine without a license, grand …

14. Aesthera Isolaz now targets rosacea symptoms

A recent segment on ABC-TV’s <em>Good Morning America Health</em> featured rosacea.

One slant put on this television story was promoted by a followup press release that highlights the use of Aesthera’s Isolaz technology.&#160; In the past Aesthera’s combination of `pneumatic energy’ and broad band light has been used to treat the pustules and inflammation of acne.
    Get Rosacea News here - https://rosacea-support.org

Thanks for keeping us updated David!
    That's certainly a lot of news. And some of it depressing for sure.
    But some of it hopeful. Thanks again.

Hello Melissa

I find some of the news very positive i.e. at long last action has been taken against two people who have been trying to deceive innocent people suffering from rosacea. Also another so called Doctor is again in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons and the adverse publicity will not be helping his latest “snake oil” promotion.

Of course it would be nice to see a breakthrough in rosacea treatments or the cause identified but I’m sure one day that will happen.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes, I agree with you. Positive but sad at the same time KWIM?
    I mean, how sad that there are hucksters out there trying to take advantage of people who are suffering and will do almost anything to alleviate that suffering?
    But positive in that 2 of them were caught and have to pay (at least in part) the price.
    They both got what I consider to be light punishments but at least they were punished nonetheless.

Best,
    Melissa

Lightbulb

Relative to the bit above about Clinuvel and melanotan-1 / afamelanotide, it is likely going to be 5 to 10 years down the line before melanotan-1 ("afamelanotide") will be officially looked at as a potential treatment option for sufferers of rosacea, if ever. Given Wolgen's apparent indifference to examining the usage of melanotan-1 as an indication for rosacea as illustrated in David Pascoe's above interview and the fact that Clinuvel is pursuing a total of 5 other indications for it already I think folks will do well to let go of the idea of ever seeing this drug become available specifically for rosacea therapy. It is my understanding that in the one indication that melanotan-1 "afamelanotide" implants are likely to soon be approved for, erythropoietic protoporphyria (EPP) they will be prohibitively expensive such that off-label usage of them will only be an option for a select few wealthy individuals if at all. I think that the only thing that anyone waiting to eventually try and use a licensed and regulated version of this drug can hope for is if an additional company tries to pursue marketing of it as a biogeneric in injectable administration form. Current laws that support biogeneric development and marketing are a bit limited with Europe being the primary location where doing this is currently legal. There has been a push in the United States over the past number of years to bring laws up-to-date about allowing the development and marketing of biogenerics but as it stands now there are no legal avenues for companies to be able to market a biogeneric in the U.S.
    This means that until these laws change the only thing that folks will possibly be able to count on is the development of a European biogeneric that can be exported to the U.S. (and potentially elsewhere).

-Scott Stevenson
    Melanotan.org - afamelanotide Founder & Admin, a site about melanotan peptides. Melanotan-1's generic name is "afamelanotide".

Heheheh, No. 8: I didn't know 7up was being tested for acne treatment!

Well this isn't very good and I am not surprised at these so called doctors getting into trouble....never bought that green tea cream but still....I remember Nase suggesting it (I think I remember this correctly) there are so many out there trying to make a fast buck off our red faces!

What's going on with Sanrosa?? Looks like that's dead in the water also....this brings me down....Oracea or Metrolotion is all they are giving us....I can't use either one....never could.
    Dx 1998

Hey Darlene,
    Sansrosa is just delayed. I believe they are at phase II trials...

http://rosacea-support.org/sansrosa-...al-hurdle.html

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Thank you for all the updates! Very much appreciated.

Phase II trials have already been completed for Sansrosa.

Phase III already underway I believe. Looks like the release date would be around late 2011.

(If everything goes smoothly.)