Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any famous people have Rosacea?

I saw Bill Clinton about 3-4 weeks ago and he had the classic papules throughout his cheeks and some redness, so he is by no means cured, but he is much better than he was in the past - I bet he uses some type of cover up/make up most of the time, must have forgot it when I saw him.

using elidel at night, taking atelenol, had 2 vbeam laser treatments, 46 year old female

using elidel at night, taking atelenol, had 2 vbeam laser treatments, 46 year old female

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Hi Chartreuse,
    For many of us it is not mainly about how our rosacea makes us look but about how it causes physical pain. When I flush my face burns and depending on the severity of the flush the burning can be quite intense.

I think it is important to understand that it is the physical pain of rosacea that causes distress for many of us more so than the effect on appearance though that can cause emotional distress of course but nothing is as bad as the physical pain of it for me.

Best,
    Melissa
    Good point, Melissa. I didn't mean to minimize the physical pain and discomfort - I certainly suffer from that myself. The burning flushes are awful - it feels the same to me as having a really painful sunburn. Plus there's the itching, the tightness when I'm swollen up, and so on.

At the same time, I have to admit that I'm more distressed right now by the effect on my appearance. I've never been great looking, but not awful either, just what I'd call the low end of average, with my good points, and my bad points. If I'd put more energy into my appearance, I could have looked better than I did, but I just never paid that much attention or spent a lot of time "primping."

I think part of it is the timing - as you know, this all came to a head for me right about the time I had met someone I was really interested in, which made me pay more attention to how I looked, and in any event was at the point of starting another phase of my life.

I actually was so frustrated and disgusted in the first few weeks of this that I said multiple times that I'd rather go back to dealing with my previous horrific cycles (cramps so bad I couldn't walk, literally, without presciption narcotics) than deal with my face looking llike this anymore. Right or wrong, I have to say I mostly still feel that way. I'm a very private person and don't like attention or talking about my problems (except on the oh-so-anonymous Internet, of course), and so am pre-disposed to preferring the problem I can hide from people from the one I can't.

I understand Chartreuse, no worries. I am sorry you are dealing with this and hope that this gentleman you are interested in will see through to the real and beautiful you.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Hi Chartreuse,
    For many of us it is not mainly about how our rosacea makes us look but about how it causes physical pain. When I flush my face burns and depending on the severity of the flush the burning can be quite intense.

I think it is important to understand that it is the physical pain of rosacea that causes distress for many of us more so than the effect on appearance though that can cause emotional distress of course but nothing is as bad as the physical pain of it for me.

Best,
    Melissa
    I think rosacea is like peeling an onion, you have to deal with one layer at a time. For me, initially the burning/itchy/rashy feeling was driving me out of my mind. I could barely even function at my job and could get no rest at home. At that time the P&Ps were second on my list of concerns. Now that I've got the burning problem under control the P&Ps are my main focus and they way I look currently does bother me. So I view this as a multi step process. First step was to deal with the physical discomfort. Second step is to deal with the troublesome P&Ps, third step will be to reduce redness and scars.

-Dave-

Dave,,

How did you get the burning under control?
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmoof View Post
    Dave,,

How did you get the burning under control?
    Hi Doug,

I take low dose accutane, approx 5mg per day has gotten rid of the burning feeling but at that low of a dose it does not get rid of my P&Ps, it helps but doesn't eliminate them. And I can't seem to tolerate 10mgs per day as it causes my ears to turn red hot and flush.

-Dave-

How long have you been on the 5mg. a day??? - I would think that over time, 3 to 6 months, it would completely erradicate the P&P's.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCity View Post
    How long have you been on the 5mg. a day??? - I would think that over time, 3 to 6 months, it would completely erradicate the P&P's.
    Hi DukeCity,

You would think so but no that has not been the case for me. I was on 10mg per day for around 3 months and have been on 5mgs per day for around 6 months but still I get P&Ps.

-Dave-