Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Perioral dermatitis; questions!?

Default Hey ladies!

Dear Bluesky,

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond! But I recentlt stopped the minocycline (I was on 100 mg once a day for 2 months) to see how it would be without it. Well I am starting to get the little red bumps and flesh colored bumps again! They always seem to want to be on my right cheek just kind of by my nose or just a bit on the cheek, oh and of course the upper lip area Now I am just unsure if the bumps on my cheek are rosacea related or PD. So confusing!!! Bluesky, to answer your question about the burning sensation...yes my chin and just the outside of my upperlip area will do this wierd tingly,burny sensation (I thought this was rosacea related as my cheeks can do the same thing!) I would say it is more annoying than painful just because I am like "ah! why is my lip area feeling tingly/burning?" *runs to the bathroom mirrior or the neareast mirrior, sees absolutely nothing out of the ordinary* Now, it can kind of look rashy like at times or I will just have a few tiny red dots. Very puzzeling! No, I know exactly what you mean when you are describing yours! LOL mine can get those pimple like bumps but they do not look like pimple like bumps...almost like super small baby hives accompined with or without a little background redness (just gorgeous!) So I am thinking I want to go back on the mino...but how long should I be on it at that dose? What would you do?

Oh for that product line it is actually Hungarian based but they are exclusively a spa product or you can get it off dermstore.com. Where are you from hun? I could probably find you a place. I know what you mean about wanting to get rid of all sulfates, which is why I chose this line. Just natural and very few ingredients. Nothing freaks me out now more than ever when I look at facial cleansers, toners, etc and see like 20, 000 things listed for ingredients! Especially ones designed for sensitive/intolerant skin and seeing that one of the main ingredients is SLS! For the toothpaste I use...now this one I believe is Canadian based but it is the green beaver company (sls/fluoride free) flavour green apple. I also switched all my shampoo and hairstyling products to natural/organic/sls free and all that jazz. Not too sure if the hair products being switched a round has made a difference but it makes me feel safer and one less thing for me to question!

Awww I so know what you mean about waking up in the morning and dreading to look in the mirror. Honestly though, we can get through this together and we are more than our conditions Anytime you want to talk or anything I am here! Just PM me.

Dear size2stilettos,

So nice to see you are still hanging in there! I am on Cymbalta 60 mgs and I still get breakthrough pain as well. Also, still get burning/tingly/numb sensations from time to time (not sure if this is rosacea or pd related but it is one of them!!) I know what you mean with trying to use certain cleansers more than 3 days in a row. I like you switch between just using water one day, cleanser the next.

You have actually been using makeup again? Ok details girl. I have been terrified to start using makeup again. Plus if I can't use a cleanser everyday how do I get the makeup off? Just so confusing. What brands are you using? I got samples of the laura mercier primer and tinted moisturizer but have been too much of a huge scardy cat to try it out! Please offer some words of wisdom lol!

Just to let you know i developed PO about 7 years ago, this was at least 3 years before i started rosacea problems.

I was put on accutane as the derm thought it was acne. After 4 months i still had the PO, went on tetralysal straight after, and within 3 weeks it had cleared up.

I still got flare ups every now and then after coming off the antibiotics, but i as soon as i went back on them before it got bad it would go within about 7-10 days.

Ok so just my 2 cents on POD

I had POD + cystic acne for a long time before ever developing rosacea.

I tried switching toothpastes...foods...gum...makeup....lotion...
    Here is what I found (IMPE - YMMV):

-NO lotions with petroleum anything. This causes POD flares for me faster than anything else.

-No makeup. Tempting as it is to cover it up, I have been through at least 10-15 different foundations/concealers and inevitably they make the problem worse in the long run. I think makeup and lotion (esp w petroleum) products are just too occlusive.

-switching toothpastes never made any real difference for me - just made my teeth esp sensitive (since I wasn't using sensodyne!)

-Doxycycline was moderately helpful - kept it from being red AND bumpy to just a bit pink

-METROGEL has weirdly, been the most helpful topical for me. With or without doxycyline orally.

-Klaron did OK as well.

-Other oral AB's - amoxicillin, erythromycin - not nearly as helpful.

-Topical erythromycin seemed good at first - redness was clearing, etc - and then about 1 wk into the therapy had a MASSIVE flare. I'm guessing from the alcohol suspension.

-Gum is prone to making me flare...Cinnamon especially (which sucks - it's my FAV flavor). Other types of gum - much much less.

Hope that helps

Hi guys - I'm new here I joined specifically to join this thread!

I have had acne for 10 years. Took RoAccutane a while back (which I feel triggered depression in me which I am still taking anti-depressants for) Anyway I'm now 24 and still have acne. Hey I'm used to it.

Anyway, all of a sudden I have a new skin problem. PD. I know it sounds silly but after chronic acne and scarring which is still going on this PD feels like the final straw for me!! Needless to say I am seriously dependant on make-up for the confidence to even leave the house but now after reading up it seems the best thing to do would be to ditch the make-up completely. The idea of which fills me with horror as I look so disgusting with no make up

I think one of my problems is that the anti-depressant I take gives me the side effect of severe night sweats every night. And so my face is drenched in a load of sweat all night which CAN'T be helping! However my depression is too scary to be messing with a drug that is working for it and it has to come before my skin.

I also have a wedding for which I am bridesmaid in 3 weeks and am pretty sure I have no hope of clearing this whatsoever by then. And so I'm annoyed that I'm going to look like hell :-(

I am starting 300mg/day of Lymecyclin tomorrow for both the acne and dermatitis. Anyone taken this? I'm also determined to ditch the make-up although I am terrified of leaving the house in all my glory with no cover-up. Also currently using just 'Simple' cleanser (I'm in the UK) The ingredients are listed as -

Aqua, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Sodium Chloride, Panthenol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Sodium Hydroxide

If I quit the make-up I may also ditch the cleanser and just use water.

Any other advice you guys could give me? I'm really down about this right now. Between the acne, scarring and this new trick - my skin is really giving me a rough ride!!

Sam

P.S here it is in all it's bare naked glory!!

008.jpg

Default relief at last

Hello, just thought I'd share what worked for me. I'm currently taking Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg. half a tab twice a day and used a topical, non steroid cream, Elidel 1% to clear up the rash. My dermatologist also told me to stay away from all forms of mint, no gum, no toothpaste, no mouth spray. My partner has also chosen to stay away from mint so we don't share if we kiss. This seems to have helped my problem very well. Good Luck.

Default perioral dermatitis

I cured my perioral dermatitis practically overnight with apple cider vinegar. I'd previously taken antibiotics, both oral and topical, which kept it vaguely under control but absolutely came nowhere close to clearing it.

I read on Wikipedia that ACV is used with great success so I dashed out to get some and three days later it was almost gone. Honestly, it was incredible. Just put some on a cotton wool swab and wipe it over the affected area.

Trust me, it works!!

Default Perioral?

Well, after battling with this stubborn and awful condition I have finally sought a second opinion. FOr the past two years Ive been having a problem with the areas of the creases of my mouth, chin, and crease of one nostril and under both nostrils. It has been a constant red! It gets extremely dry and flakes. Under my nose it itches quite frequently. First doc said, sebborhea/eczema. He gace me many different things, to list a few.... Promiseb, locoid, avar-e, protopic, metrogel... Yada yada. You get the point. Second doc, new one, diagnosed perioral derm. She gave me tetracycline. 500mg x2/day for the first month.SHe exclaimed that the previous doctor was treating the wrong thing, becuase I brought all my old meds in to show her. She made it seem like it was going to clear up for sure in 6 weeks time, which I find hard to believe seeing as Ive been battling this horrid condition for over two years constantly with no remission periods. My question is, can you have perioral derm with just the constant redness in these areas with the real dry tight flakey skin? Ive seen perioral derm pics and its mostly redness with the pimples/bumps. I dont have many of them, maybe a few, but not that many. ANy thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Default Apple cider vinegar

I cured my PD with apple cider vinegar. I developed the rash immediately after the birth of my second child - a classic hormonal outbreak that was barely controlled by antibiotics.

My doctor would only give me a few months' worth so I was forced to look around for an alternative. Apple cider vinegar, neat from the bottle and wiped over the affected area cleared it in about a week! I couldn't believe it but it really does work.

To really kick PD into touch, it's a good idea to drink the vinegar too - I know it sounds crazy but a capful in a pint of water a day has many health benefits, including clearer skin.