Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Try My Diet! It Might Help Your Skin. . .

Default Try My Diet! It Might Help Your Skin. . .

Diet and Exercise

Instead of listing all the foods that I can't eat. I'm going to suggest the ones that I can. I think everyone on this forum should try this for at least a week and see if they notice any improvement. I don't think you really have anything to lose but you might have a lot to gain. I have studied a lot on Nutrition, Exercise and Sports both professionally and recreationally. The main areas that kept arising in relation to skin conditions and allergies were yeast, sugar, citric acid, gluten, lactose, dairy etc.

Supplements (optional): Zinc, Green Tea, B Complex

Fruit and Vegetables: Apples, Pears, Lettuce, Broccoli, Spinach, Cucumber, Onions, Green Pepper, Red Pepper, Tomatoes, Potatoes (not too many). (There are others that are allowed but these are the ones I eat.)

Meat: Red Meat (no more than once a week), Tuna, Prawns, Chicken (no skin), Salmon (sometimes) (most white fish is also okay to eat)

Miscellaneous: Soy Milk, Sunflower Seeds, Olive Oil (in moderation, don't use much), Water (I drink at least 5 litres of water most days)

Breakfast usually consists of fresh fruit and soy milk. You can make a salad for lunch or dinner with the vegetables, fish, sunflower seeds and olive oil (small amount). Obviously most of your main meals will consist of meat and vegetables.

You'll probably notice a very obvious lack of carbohydrates apart from the fruit and vegetables. I think that because cereals etc are complex carbohydrates that it might not agree with my skin. Complex carbs are eventually broken down in to sugar after few hours.

This is by no means an ideal diet but I'd rather be slightly underweight than walk around with bad skin. I keep in good shape by weight lifting at the gym and if you looked at me, you wouldn't think that I am malnourished or have any sort of unhealthy body. With this diet, you might find yourself snacking more than usual, so these foods don't exactly fall into the 3 meals per day category.

I also think that regular exercise is really good for your skin as long as you don't overdo it. Do some sit-ups, push-ups or some light weights every other day. Try Yoga. Try a resistance band for light training. If nothing else, at least make sure that you're getting some exercise from your partner

Over the years I gradually refined my diet more and more to include less foods. Anybody who tries this might be pleasantly suprised with their skin. If you do try this, please post and let me know how it went for you. If you are looking at this post and wondering why I'm not eating a certain food then feel free to let me know. Maybe I think it reacts bad to my skin. Maybe I think it's not a food that's easily found in most supermarkets so I didn't include it. Maybe I hate it and don't eat it. Or maybe I just forgot it. So, please do post any comments whether they be positive or otherwise. There are a lot of doctors, nutritionalists and experts in the field who believe that a lot of our problems come from the foods that we eat. Maybe they're on to something. All I know is that my skin might suddenly have a bad couple days after I eat something that my body doesn't like. For instance, I ate a lot of grapes at the weekend and had a bad reaction to them. Grapes wouldn't have exactly been on my 'Top Ten Foods To Avoid List' so you never know!!

This post is very sloppy as I'm in a rush and just about to head out but remember, as Nike say, 'JUST DO IT'!
    Last edited by MysteryMan; 22nd February 2010 at 10:36 PM.

Turns out that the CLA supplement that I take to burn fat and increase muscle can cause acne. Which I think it has in my case. So that's out the window

I'm not using olive oil anymore. Decided to eliminate it for a week and see if my skin improves. It's pretty good at the moment but e very little helps
    Have Fully Controlled My Seb Derm

Whey protein shakes out the window too. I obviously knew they weren't great for my skin but they really help bulk up and build muscle

I've been really thinking about diet and skin conditions a lot lately and I really think I have figured out exactly what I can't eat if I want my skin to be classed as normal.

Basically, there are three different classes that foods fall into. Protein, fat and carbohydrate.

Fat definitely triggers bad effects in my skin. No doubt. But mainly the saturated fat. Unsaturated fat still has some bad effects though. However, fat might be bad for skin because a lot of the foods that contain fat have sugar or sugars like lactose, fructose etc.

All carbohydrates are eventually turned into sugar or sugars at some point in the digestive process. I think that sugar and sugars are the number one edible ingredient for bad skin, for me anyway.

So this leaves us with Protein. If I wanted to fully control my skin condition I think I would probably have to eat nothing else. Soy milk, chicken, tuna and possibly a few other meats. Can't really think what else off the top of my head. Basically, I would have to restrict my diet to something even harsher than the Atkins diet.

I'm not quite sure how healthy it would be to only eat protein. I'm guessing not so much. If I cleanse, moisturise and only eat protein, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have any symptoms of seb derm left at all.

I guess it all comes down to the real question:

Do I want to have mild seb derm, enjoy food, have no restrictions, be healthy and not develop serious health conditions as a result of a bad diet?

OR

Do I want to risk developing serious health problems, never enjoy food and walk around with almost perfect skin?

Is there really a point in having good skin if I'm not going to enjoy it or worse, not be around long enough to reap the benefits.

just curious, do you get really red when lifting?? I lift weights too.. and everyone in the gym seems to stare at my red face.

Quote Originally Posted by simpson View Post
    just curious, do you get really red when lifting?? I lift weights too.. and everyone in the gym seems to stare at my red face.

If I was to lift free weights then I would probably get facial redness ye. I mainly stick to the weight machines and smaller free weights. If I take my time and give myself a minute rest between each set, then I usually don't flush or sweat. I do low reps, high weights.

So, for instance I would do about 10 different weight machines in bout an hour and a half. I do 5 sets on each machine.

6 reps (high weight)

60-75 seconds rest

6 reps (high weight)

60-75 seconds rest

6 reps (high weight)

60-75 seconds rest

6 reps (high weight)

60-75 seconds rest

6 reps (high weight)

I don't lift heavy free weights as I suspect they would make me flush with the extra strain of balancing and controlling. I never do cardio anymore. I occasionally play soccer every few weeks but that's it. When playing soccer I wouldn't push myself to the max in terms of running.

I think what really helps aswell is the fact that the gym I work out in has really cold air conditioning. So I never get too hot when working out. Oh, I also drink realy cold water the whole time that I'm working out. Probably drink about 4 litres everytime I go to the gym. I go there every 2nd day.
    Last edited by MysteryMan; 24th February 2010 at 05:26 PM.

Pears are out the window. Apparently they have a moderate amount of fructose. No thank you.

Tomatoes and onions apparently contain citric acid which I know doesn't agree with my skin so bye bye.

That leaves me with:

Supplements: Zinc, Green Tea, Vitamin E, Vitamin B Complex

Foods: Apples, Green Peppers, Red Peppers, Lettuce, Broccoli, Spinach, Cucumber, Potatoes (not too many), Chicken (no skin), Turkey (no skin), Prawns, Tuna, Salmon (not too much), Soy Milk, Water, Sunflower Seeds

I had a bad effect to something last week which is why I started really clamping down on my diet.

It was either:

* Whey protein shakes catching up on me
    * CLA supplements catching up on me
    * New CLA supplement that I got which was stronger than the first one
    * Chicken curry
    * Lots of grapes + cherries
    * Tomato soup
    * Cereals

Hey MysteryMan,

1) Everyone is different and has different reactions to food, climate, etc...but i know for me, Tomato, grapes, and curry are big no no's...grapes are citric and hence can make your skin go nuts..plus curry is spicy which again for me makes my skin go ballistic..

2)i work out as well, i lift heavy and do heavy cardio (also cool down cardio, by doing laps in the pool) which you might benefit from...i also use whey protein and cellmass (creatine) to bulk up a bit...i haven't really had a bad reaction to it, but was wondering what else as far as lifting supplements you've tried?

i would eliminate one thing at a time so you can pin point what you can tolerate and what you can't. if you eliminate too many things at once you'll never know for sure and you'll drive yourself crazy.

Best of luck
    Red

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan View Post
    I had a bad effect to something last week which is why I started really clamping down on my diet.

It was either:

* Whey protein shakes catching up on me
    * CLA supplements catching up on me
    * New CLA supplement that I got which was stronger than the first one
    * Chicken curry
    * Lots of grapes + cherries
    * Tomato soup
    * Cereals
    What exactly was the "bad effect" your skin experienced? Breakouts?

Spicy foods are a trigger for a lot of people. I cannot tolerate most spices. Paprika is a big one for me, I think.

There is a lot more to food than simply fat/protein/carbs. You can be sensitive to additives, or amines, or salicylates, or histamine, and goodness knows what else! I think my food problems are tied to histamine content. As long as I avoid histamine-rich foods my skin does not complain about what I eat.

Have you tried an elimination diet? It might help you to narrow down the culprits, if you are absolutely sure it's food that is causing you problems, and not something environmental.
    Rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis.

Symptoms:
    Itchy red rash across cheeks, chin and eyebrow region, bumpy skin texture, flaking skin.

Current treatments:
    Avoid cold, eat simple foods, avoid sugars.
    Probiotics every day and honey masks every other day.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyBee View Post
    What exactly was the "bad effect" your skin experienced? Breakouts?

Spicy foods are a trigger for a lot of people. I cannot tolerate most spices. Paprika is a big one for me, I think.

There is a lot more to food than simply fat/protein/carbs. You can be sensitive to additives, or amines, or salicylates, or histamine, and goodness knows what else! I think my food problems are tied to histamine content. As long as I avoid histamine-rich foods my skin does not complain about what I eat.

Have you tried an elimination diet? It might help you to narrow down the culprits, if you are absolutely sure it's food that is causing you problems, and not something environmental.

110% for me, it's something that goes into my body that makes my skin turn. Thing is though, I don't really need an elimination diet because even with this mild breakout, my skin still looks really good. I was fine before ingesting one the above list. I got a lot of mild scattered acne which I usually never get. Usually it's just a bit of pinkish red on cheeks and nose which looks pretty normal. Literally, if you saw my skin now compared to a year or more ago, the difference is ridiculous. Once I changed my diet and moisturised everyday, my skin changed drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by REDMAN1 View Post
    Hey MysteryMan,

1) Everyone is different and has different reactions to food, climate, etc...but i know for me, Tomato, grapes, and curry are big no no's...grapes are citric and hence can make your skin go nuts..plus curry is spicy which again for me makes my skin go ballistic..

2)i work out as well, i lift heavy and do heavy cardio (also cool down cardio, by doing laps in the pool) which you might benefit from...i also use whey protein and cellmass (creatine) to bulk up a bit...i haven't really had a bad reaction to it, but was wondering what else as far as lifting supplements you've tried?

i would eliminate one thing at a time so you can pin point what you can tolerate and what you can't. if you eliminate too many things at once you'll never know for sure and you'll drive yourself crazy.

Best of luck
    Red

My skin is pretty good nowadays anyway but I'm positive that it's food and diet that makes my skin act up. I'm meeting up with a couple different girls at the moment so don't fancy any unnessecary bad skin. I'm really close to having normal skin again. My skin was amazing and got worse (only slightly) after a few weeks using Whey Protein and CLA. Also the grapes, chicken curry are suspects also. But I'm an idiot, I'm obviously allergic to Whey Protein Shakes if I'm allergic to dairy. Just wanted to chance my arm and bulk a bit easier. Stupid of me really, my skin was so good that I decided that a little bit here and there wouldn't affect me.

I'll probably add cereal back in a week or two if things are going smoothly.
    Last edited by MysteryMan; 25th February 2010 at 06:46 PM.