Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: in the middle of a 3 day flush

Don't feel embarrassed. I know it may feel odd because you perceive it as a non-ife threatening injury but lots of people go to the ER for things that are non life threatening (severe migraines, cuts, spranes etc.), , after all it is an emergency and that is the purpose of an ER. Some people have actually been hospitalized for days at a time due to intense Rosacea flares that have caused terrible pain from prolonged flushing and swelling of the face. It can be a very painful and debilitating affliction.

I have gone before for shots for pain, you just tell them how much agony you are in and how long it has been going on and that you are literally at your wits end due to the severe, intense, constant pain. They will give you a shot of something strong, believe me, you will not be thinking about the pain after the shot. I would also ask for something to help calm your nerves, even if you think you don't need something, take it and if they don't offer ask for it. The stress on your body alone is reason enough to take something. They gave me a valium with the shot which lasted a couple days and helped relieve the physical and mental tension that was associated with the pain. Clearly you are worked up, as anyone would be which is likely contributing more to the flushing, a painkiller and something to relax your nerves will likely break the flush in itself.

Let us know how it goes and good luck.
    Last edited by RedFaced; 22nd February 2010 at 03:51 AM.

thanks guys, i didn't end up going in to the hospital as it's lessened in intensity now.
    It's still there though and i've had a fan on myself 24/7 for the past few days to keep it from escalating. Now my my eyes are dry and sore , probably from the fan. (i might need to wear glasses )

i've booked in to see my doc next week, so hopefully he can give me something for it.

what type of medication can bring a flush down?

thanks for your help everyone.

Glad to hear you are feeling better Tarky.
    You might want to lubricate your eyes to protect them from the fan. Try and lessen the frequency of using the fan also because it might cause a rebound.

Meds that may help flushing include Clonidine, Propranolol, Remeron...
    If you do a search you can find lots more info.

Good luck Tarky and let us know how it goes.

Melissa

If I had a bad flush, taking an extra Clonidine would always help bring it down. I fins Propranolol helpful for more of a preventative in social situations or situations where you may be anxious etc. Remeron just helps lessen the intensity and frequency in general. A lot of people find the Remeron/Clonidine combo very helpful. Glad to hear you are doing better.

so annoyed at myself. My skin was feeling calm today so I thought i'd catch some sun to help with my seb derm. I was really careful and only spent 5 minutes at a time in the sun every 2 hours or so....

yet tonight i have a burnt nose and forehead! even though i was being extremely careful.

i now feel sick that i let it get burnt as i'm so paranoid about treating it well now. Hopefully i haven't worsened the condition of my skin.

just to top off a bad week with severe flushing...

anybody else here gotten their face burnt? how did you recover? i'm a bit worried about it

You'll be OK Tarky. Just protect your face from the sun as best you can from now on and there will be no permanent repercussions from this.
    I know how tempting it is to go out in the sun without applying sunblock...just not worth it IMO. You can still enjoy the feel of the sun on your face. Just make sure you have adequate sunblock on while you are doing it.

Anyway, hang in there. You will be fine. Just try and take it easy.

i was ok for a few days but now the burning's started up again.

i'm really not coping with my face burning up all the time, it's making me incredibly depressed, I've never been so low in my life.

nothing triggered it that i'm aware of

Have you considered some of the suggestions to ask your doctor for Clonidine or/and Remeron?

They may be a real help to you Tarky.
    Hang in there

Melissa

Yes Tarky you should maybe try clonidine. I have been on it since 2/20 and i have noticed less flushing and when it happens i can cool it down quicker.

Alba
    using elidel at night, taking atelenol, had 2 vbeam laser treatments, 46 year old female

thanks, i'll give it a try