Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How long did it take your dermatologist to diagnose rosacea?

thanks Peter.. Can I ask why you stopped taking Clonidine? I have heard if it combined with another drug it really reduces the redness and flushing. Do you know what the other drug is?

also, is it ok to put on a moisturizer after I apply my topical antibiotic? My skin is getting dry!
    Doug

Hello Doug

I think there are several drugs that can be prescribed in combination with Clonidine but usually it is combined with either a topical or systemic antibiotic or both. Given that his patient is also displaying the flushing side of rosacea then a dermatologist worth his salt will also target the blood vessels by using a drug like Clonidine.

My dermatologist told me to stop taking this drug after 4 years because he felt I had gone into clinical remission and there was no need to continue. If you do want to try this drug then you will need to talk to your dermatologist or GP first and also have your progress monitored on a regular basis.

No reason why you cannot use a moisturiser but give the topical 15 - 20 minutes first so that it is totally absorbed. I use Aloe99 which is a Aloe vera gel and suited my skin. Always do a small patch test first when trying something new just in case there is a reaction. I'm sure there are other members here who can suggest other moisturisers for you to try.

Peter

Thanks! How long have you been in remission? Also, when you are in remission do you still need to avoid all the triggers? I hate that I will have to avoid the sun since it seems to be a big trigger. I love to golf so Im dreading the summer a little.
    Doug

Hello Doug

I was told I had probably reached remission during 2003. The only minor triggers I have now are certain foods and additives like MSG, Sodium Nitrate which I avoid when possible.

Peter

Thats great! How long did you have Rosacea before remission? Do you still take any medicine or topicals? So when in remission most triggers you used to have go away? I wish Rosacea had a definitive life-span if you will then you could deal with it better knowing it would go into remission after x-amount of years. I was reading something where the person said a lot of people with Rosacea go into remission after 1-2 years if they are good about taking their proper topicals and oral medications. Not so sure I believe that though.
    Doug

I am curious too if a lot of people do not go into remission sooner because they get frustrated too quickly and stop taking the prescribed topicals and oral medications from their dermatoligist.
    Doug

Default Who long did it take your dermatologist to diagnose rosacea?

According to the NRS & Rosacea SKINsights sponsored by Galderma Laboratories, on "average, women with rosacea waited at least seven months before receiving a correct diagnosis, and only half of respondents had ever heard of the condition upon the time of diagnosis."

Peter and Melissa will no doubt have something to say about the above report which I would love to hear. I thought the above report simply adds to the theme of this thread:

Who long did it take your dermatologist to diagnose rosacea?

Contrary to Peter and Melissa it is not as simple as they experienced according to the above report. However, I look forward to how they will reply to this news.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Brady,
    Peter and Melissa will no doubt have something to say about the above report which I would love to hear.
    I am so glad you are looking forward to hearing from Peter and me
    That is delightful news and I am sure Peter will be thrilled as well ;)

The survey doesn't say it took a doctor 7 months to arrive at a correct diagnosis but it took the person 7 months to get a correct diagnosis which is a very different story.

As we have already discussed (remember?) people often do not go to a dermatologist when they first get symptoms and either try and find the answer themselves via internet research or some other way etc.

So, as already discussed, once you see a dermatologist it should NOT be that difficult to diagnose for most people. Especially if you see a competent dermatologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Brady,
    I am so glad you are looking forward to hearing from Peter and me
    That is delightful news and I am sure Peter will be thrilled as well ;)

The survey doesn't say it took a doctor 7 months to arrive at a correct diagnosis but it took the person 7 months to get a correct diagnosis which is a very different story.

As we have already discussed (remember?) people often do not go to a dermatologist when they first get symptoms and either try and find the answer themselves via internet research or some other way etc.

So, as already discussed, once you see a dermatologist it should NOT be that difficult to diagnose for most people. Especially if you see a competent dermatologist.
    I didn't understand it that way. So for seven months they simply were floundering around not knowing what condition they were suffering with and possibly thought to themselves what the diagnosis was until they received a 'correct diagnosis.' That clears everything up. Foolish me to think otherwise.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    I didn't understand it that way. So for seven months they simply were floundering around not knowing what condition they were suffering with and possibly thought to themselves what the diagnosis was until they received a 'correct diagnosis.' That clears everything up. Foolish me to think otherwise.
    Your words not mine Brady. I am just pointing out that many people don't go right to a dermatologist for diagnosis but go online, do their ow research, go to general practicioners, internists, etc and therefore delay getting a proper diagnosis from a dermatologist who is the best healthcare professional for obtaining a proper diagnosis for rosacea.