Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How long did it take your dermatologist to diagnose rosacea?

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    You and Melissa can explain for yourself how long 'immediately' is in minutes or seconds if you would like.
    I think you will find we already had. At the end of the day who cares whether it takes 1 second, 1 minute or 1 hour to diagnose rosacea at the initial consultation providing it is the correct one. In many cases, especially advanced ones, it is so obvious someone is sufferering from rosacea that confirmation of this is just a formality.

Default Summing up...majority of rosaceans diagnosed at first visit with derm

The two IMMEDIATELY posters Melissa and Peter I suggest you can decide what that means to Melissa and Peter and my discussion of what the dictionary says 'immediately' means. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    So what exactly to you mean by this Brady?

I'm sure Melissa can answer for herself but I suspect her "immediately" meant the same as mine i.e. we were told straight away or without delay that we had rosacea. Does my "immediately" need to be broken down into a time of seconds or minutes? Is your meaning of "immediately" different to mine?

At the end of the day who cares whether it takes 1 second, 1 minute or 1 hour to diagnose rosacea at the initial consultation providing it is the correct one. In many cases, especially advanced ones, it is so obvious someone is sufferering from rosacea that confirmation of this is just a formality.
    I concur with Peter.
    What Immediately means to me- Without delay or hesitation

Thanks for a fascinating topic gentlemen
    Last edited by Melissa W; 26th March 2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo

Default Minutes....

1st dermatologist thought I had dermititis since my skin was red and had some burning. He thought it was either to a skin/hair product I was using or due to the fact I was having my kitchen and basement remodeled and there was lots of dust, chemicals, tiles being ripped up, drywall everywhere, etc. He treated me with Presdinone and cortaid. I think the Cortaid really did damage to my skin as I used it for 4-5 weeks like a face lotion.. Put it all over my face and neck. Went back and told him the Presdinone didnt work and I was getting a lot of tiny red lines on my face. Can 4-5 weeks of Cortaid use do this? He then tells me I cant help you anymore. He says its due to sun damaged skin and that something irritated/dried it really bad and it will take a few months to get better. Thats it.

Well, I went to a 2nd dermatologist and told her my story, symptoms (red face during day, tiny red lines, burning, and when I am normal/white my face gets red in middle third of face when I laugh, or get mad, etc) and she asked me questions and within minutes she said it was Rosacea. I do believe I have Rosacea but was really hoping it was something else that would go away in a month or so. I was hoping since it didnt run in my family that it was not Rosacea. Was hoping i had some type of dermatitis and that the cortaid just made it a lot worse.

Anyway, it was just a few minutes, a few questions and brief look at my face from my dermatologist and that was it.

Thanks!
    Doug

Default How long did your dermatologist take to reach a diagnosis?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmoof View Post
    1st dermatologist thought I had dermititis since my skin was red and had some burning. He thought it was either to a skin/hair product I was using or due to the fact I was having my kitchen and basement remodeled and there was lots of dust, chemicals, tiles being ripped up, drywall everywhere, etc. He treated me with Presdinone and cortaid. I think the Cortaid really did damage to my skin as I used it for 4-5 weeks like a face lotion.. Put it all over my face and neck. Went back and told him the Presdinone didnt work and I was getting a lot of tiny red lines on my face. Can 4-5 weeks of Cortaid use do this? He then tells me I cant help you anymore. He says its due to sun damaged skin and that something irritated/dried it really bad and it will take a few months to get better. Thats it.

Well, I went to a 2nd dermatologist and told her my story, symptoms (red face during day, tiny red lines, burning, and when I am normal/white my face gets red in middle third of face when I laugh, or get mad, etc) and she asked me questions and within minutes she said it was Rosacea. I do believe I have Rosacea but was really hoping it was something else that would go away in a month or so. I was hoping since it didnt run in my family that it was not Rosacea. Was hoping i had some type of dermatitis and that the cortaid just made it a lot worse.

Anyway, it was just a few minutes, a few questions and brief look at my face from my dermatologist and that was it.

Thanks!
    Thanks Doug for your report. How long did the first dermatologist take to diagnose you had dermatitis? Five minutes or less? It appears the second dermatologist took even less time to diagnose your rosacea, correct? Just a few minutes, is this correct?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    I concur with Peter.
    What Immediately means to me- Without delay or hesitation

Thanks for a fascinating topic gentlemen
    Yes, that is what it means to me too. So if we add the two 'immediately' posters into this thread of diagnosing rosacea in less than five minutes we now have a total of 13 of the 14 posters who say they were diagnosed in five minutes or less which is 92% of the respondents in this survey. We even have one report of a misdiagnosis with Doug, post #43, which is the point of all this. Sometimes, a five minute visit with the physician who diagnoses rosacea can be wrong. It would be good to survey over a thousand rosaceans to see how many of them were misdiagnosed with a five minute visit verses those who had a twenty minute visit from a physician who took the time to get a careful history and physical examination and possibly took some skin biopsies, blood tests or other tests and see if the misdiagnosis for the second group is less. I postulate the rate of misdiagnosis would be less in the second group. But maybe Peter is right, no one really cares about all this. But at least 14 did care enough to post and even despite the criticism of the thread. I find it odd that if the subject isn't worthy of consideration that one would bother to take the time to criticize the thread. When I see a new thread and find it unworthy of my consideration I don't bother to browbeat the author of the thread. I simply move on to another.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Perception can be misleading Brady as I don't believe anyone is browbeating you.
    The fact that people are taking the time to post in this thread is to share knowledge and experience with others and as you know that differs with each individual. Which is why it is valuable to see different points of view IMO.

If you just want people to agree with everything all the time this is not the place but if you are open to others point of view even if not the same as yours then A hui hou

Default Browbeat may be the wrong word to use.....

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Perception can be misleading Brady as I don't believe anyone is browbeating you.
    The fact that people are taking the time to post in this thread is to share knowledge and experience with others and as you know that differs with each individual. Which is why it is valuable to see different points of view IMO.

If you just want people to agree with everything all the time this is not the place but if you are open to others point of view even if not the same as yours then A hui hou
    I see your point and maybe browbeating is the wrong word to use. However, I can't shake the feeling of being harassed, which is an emotion, rather than anything logical or reasonable. I think this thread has some merit and somehow I feel like I'm the enemy for even suggesting that a short visit to a dermatologist is somehow a bad thing to bring up. Mahalo and Aloha.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 26th March 2010 at 09:09 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Was over 10 years ago now but it was almost certainly within 5 minutes. A few quick questions and a look at my skin under a bright light and... "Yes, you have something called rosacea. There's no cure. Here's a leaflet with some information that may be of help. Bye."

His diagnosis has been backed up by every Derm i've seen since, though the one Derm who looked at my recent scalp problems left the diagnosis at "Probably Seb Derm".

I'm pretty sure I do have Seb Derm on my scalp but would rather not have it left at "Probably".

Default Aloha Brady, I actually agree that it is a bad thing that many drs don't spend time

I see your point and maybe browbeating is the wrong word to use. However, I can't shake the feeling of being harassed, which is an emotion, rather than anything logical or reasonable. I think this thread has some merit and somehow I feel like I'm the enemy for even suggesting that a short visit to a dermatologist is somehow a bad thing to bring up. Mahalo and Aloha.
    Hi Brady,
    I agree that it is too common that doctors don't spend enough time listening to their patients. And that is very unfortunate. I am lucky in that I was able to find a great derm and great internist who actually listen to me and take their time in trying to help me. I wish that for everyone here.

Melissa

I think it took about 10 mins for a NHS dermatologist to tell me that I didnt have rosacea. She looked at my skin said there was no visible erythema or papules and pustules to suggest rosacea, and that I needed to stop "reading stuff on the internet". I had to actually ask for a blood test to rule out lupus etc!!!!!

I asked my GP if he could send me for a second opinion but he refused. The problem is that there is a lot of inequality in the NHS...and as someone who lives in a deprived area, healthcare is usually not as good as those who live in more affluent areas. (but thats another story).

Well I still carried on "reading stuff on the internet" : ) and decided the only way forward was to go private..even though i couldnt really afford it. So travelled from the north east to London, and got so stressed, as we got lost a few times, and London is not the friendliest of places. By the time I had got to see the derm I was having a major flush....so after reading my medical notes, asking about family members who may have rosacea,, symptons, and looking at my skin, he diagnosed rosacea. From what i can remember the consultation lasted about 30 mins.
    Last edited by spuggylegs; 27th March 2010 at 11:05 AM.