Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How long did it take your dermatologist to diagnose rosacea?

I remember it quite clearly.....I had my 3 sons with me in the derm's office....they were rather young and climbing on everything and running around the little room! He walked in and introduced himself and I told him about my disaster of a face and he said NOTHING....handed me a brochere.....I opened it and about fell on the floor.....hideous photo's of advanced rosacea patients....I looked up at him and he said "you have rosacea....severe rosacea.....there is NO CURE" and I said "you mean there's nothing you can give me to help me?" he said "there is NO CURE" and just stood there. My boys were running around and giggling as the innocent do....and I was shocked to my core. I had never heard of rosacea.....and the photos were so distribuing to me at that moment.....he then informed me I would progress to the severe form and to be grateful it wasn't terminal....he gave me a script of a steriod cream (desinoid sp?) and metrolgel.....said come back in 30days.

So maybe 30sec's tops.......he did order a blood test.....to check for lupus......a nurse came in and took my blood but they both said they were postive it was rosacea and this was a simple formalitiy they do.
    Dx 1998

Took my dermatologist all of about 2 minutes.

Went in actually for acne when I was 17, derm walks in, listens to my complaints and looks up from his clipboard "yep... looks like rosacea".

Went to a different doc, same answer.

I guess mine is pretty obvious LOL

Default How long did your dermatologist take to reach a diagnosis?

The results so far in this thread are:

Post #1 - 3 seconds
    Post #2 - 1 minute
    Post #4 - 15 seconds
    Post #5 - 1 minute
    Post #12 - took 'a glance'
    Post #17 - you decide how long, but it appears very short
    Post #26 - you decide how long, but it appears very short
    Post #29 - 2 minutes
    Post #31 - you decide how long, but it appears very short
    Post #32 - 2 minutes

The two IMMEDIATELY posters Melissa and Peter I suggest you can decide what that means to Melissa and Peter and my discussion of what the dictionary says 'immediately' means.

Post #8 - 20 minutes with blood tests

So in this short anecdotal reports of 13 posters we can conclude thus far:

76% of the posters report short visits of less than five minutes. While the odds might be good that a five minute visit with a dermatologist will get you a correct diagnosis of rosacea, I postulate that such short visits might be the reason there are reports of misdiagnosis and that if more time is taken in obtaining a patient history and taking some tests that the number of reported cases of misdiagnosis might be reduced. We need clinical studies done on how many actual cases of misdiagnosis there are with say 1000 cases of diagnosed rosacea. My editorial on obtaining a rosacea diagnosis might be worth reading.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Exclamation

What strikes me is that lack of sympathy & basic disinterest from the derm's!

The lack of time spent with a rosacea sufferer and dismissive nature of some of the derm's
    is criminal!

A very sad collection of posts and casual diagnosis for this disease!

J
    SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA.

*Vit D3,Theratears Omega 3.

*LDN since October 2018.

*REN skincare range. TARTE cosmetics.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol (None being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

* Use Optimel & Ilast cream for MGD Ocular rosacea.

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves) Lichen Planus (oral)
    PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    The two IMMEDIATELY posters Melissa and Peter I suggest you can decide what that means to Melissa and Peter and my discussion of what the dictionary says 'immediately' means.
    So what exactly to you mean by this Brady?

I'm sure Melissa can answer for herself but I suspect her "immediately" meant the same as mine i.e. we were told straight away or without delay that we had rosacea. Does my "immediately" need to be broken down into a time of seconds or minutes? Is your meaning of "immediately" different to mine?

Quote Originally Posted by Judworth View Post

The lack of time spent with a rosacea sufferer and dismissive nature of some of the derm's
    is criminal!

J
    Hello Judy

Be careful because it's wrong to tar all dermatologists or even GP's with the same brush. I saw three dermatologists and one was useless but the other two were good and one of these I would classify as exceptional. At the end of the day it's your skin and you want the best for it, so if you feel you are not getting the best attention then go and find one someone that does care and will give you the help you need. I always advise people to do their homework on rosacea so that when they do see a professional they can ask all the right questions and can determine for themselves if the response is suitable, together with the treatment regime proposed.

There is always going to be the exception to the rule but for me this thread just proved that the majority of people are diagnosed correctly. Again in many cases for an experienced dermatologist, rosacea is very easy and straight forward to diagnose.

Thanks

Peter

Default need more reports

Quote Originally Posted by Judworth View Post

is criminal!

J
    Since the NRS collects anecdotal reports that somehow become 'gospel' to the dermatologists, i.e., 'spicy food is a rosacea trigger,' and it is common practice for dermatologists to parrot this finding which is purely based upon anecdotal reports that said "with regard to spices, cayenne pepper aggravated rosacea 36 percent of the time, red pepper 34 percent of the time, black pepper 18 percent of the time, white pepper 9 percent of the time, and paprika 9 percent of the time. So if we could get say "3,151 rosacea patients" in a survey that showed that X amount of those diagnosed with rosacea were later found to be misdiagnosed it would be just as valid a source as the NRS Trigger list. I find it amusing that such reputable authorities on rosacea as Dr. Day simply parrots what the NRS says without even checking if spicy foods has ever been clinically studied to substantiate that it indeed produces a rosacea flare up. Sure, maybe a rosacean flushes after eating spicy food, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a rosacea flare up occurs. A rosacean may simply flush and it goes away without a rosacea flare up. And besides the spicy food, what controls are in place for such a report? What else did the rosacean do prior to eating spicy food, for instance, gulp down 64 ounces of coca cola and a bowl of ice cream?

It is also sad that only 13 rosaceans will bother to post how long their dermatologist took to diagnose their rosacea. It is mind boggling that the NRS got 3152 rosaceans to respond to a survey in 1999. What did they give them, a rosacea pin to take the survey?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Default Debate about immediately

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    So what exactly to you mean by this Brady?

I'm sure Melissa can answer for herself but I suspect her "immediately" meant the same as mine i.e. we were told straight away or without delay that we had rosacea. Does my "immediately" need to be broken down into a time of seconds or minutes? Is your meaning of "immediately" different to mine?
    We already discussed the use of the term immediately already in this thread. I am simply allowing a reader to decide for themselves what you mean. If you still don't understand that the initial post showed that the diagnose took "3 seconds" and that is what I am looking for, a time frame in minutes or seconds which is what this thread is about, I can't make it any clearer. You and Melissa can explain for yourself how long 'immediately' is in minutes or seconds if you would like.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Default misdiagnosed.. derms dont have a clue

1st derm - took ages. looked at it under a lamp, talked, around 20 mins.
    said it was Seb Derm. and NOT Rosacea. (this was when my rosacea was kinda mild, at 20 yrs old) said no need to control diet. has nothing to do with blood vessels. (haha yea right!!)

2nd derm - what rubbish. took few seconds, and he called it 'erythema of the skin'
    gave hydrocortisone (i hate him for this seriously) !!
    asked him if it was rosacea, he didnt even answer the question. kinda avoided it.
    said rosacea was a wide term, and its hard to pinpoint.. wat the heck??

3rd derm - 5 mins, said its Rosacea. No Seb Derm. (this time i had badd skin)

sounds to me the derms in HK are rubbish when it comes to rosacea. they are totally clueless. i've been misdiagnosed.. given wrong meds. its just sad, cuz u go to a derm thinking u can totally trust them, and they can fix this problem. but they dont even know what it is. Most of us on this forum are probably more knowledgeable on rosacea than some of them.

Since the NRS collects anecdotal reports that somehow become 'gospel' to the dermatologists,
    None of the dermatologists I saw ever mentioned the NRS. I am not aware of the NRS reports being "gospel" to the dermatologists either unless you are referring to one particular part of the world? All these surveys and reports are just guides anyway and should be treated in this way.

It is also sad that only 13 rosaceans will bother to post how long their dermatologist took to diagnose their rosacea.
    Well maybe they can't be bothered, are just too busy or more likely just cannot see the relevance?