Thread: rosacea + lid cysts linked?

Default rosacea + lid cysts linked?

Hi everyone,

I have been into the hospital twice in 7 months to get two lid cysts removed from both eyes,i didnt know what was causing me to get these but after the first op the doctor was saying i had rosacea,had not heard of it til then...does anyone know is rosacea and lid cysts(aka meibomian cysts) are related? If it is rosacea i have it is a very mild case mainly affecting my cheeks and nowhere else,some days it is worse than others...im about to start using rozex gel today to see if it will get rid of it so wel see how that goes...
    i have always had good skin up until these lid cysts started appearing so thinking they are both linked...if anyone has had similar cases or ant info it would be much appreciated..

Thanks

I've never heard the terms "lid cysts" or "meiobian cysts" before. However, it sounds to me like you're talking about a "chalazion". If thats the case, then yes they are associated with ocular rosacea. Hot compresses, lid massages, and lid hygiene will prevent chalazions from occuring.

Hi and welcome to the RF.
    Meibomian cysts are chalazions and treated with warm compresses to get them to open and drain.

http://www.medicinenet.com/chalazion/article.htm

I agree with Brighteyes that warm compresses, circular lid massages and gently cleansing your eyelids/lashes at least once a day might be helpful in preventing these in the future.

However, sometimes they are resistant and need to be surgically removed which is a simple outpatient procedure.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

I had steroids injected into a particularly bad (hard to break-up) chalazion. It took a few months of hot compresses, lid massages, and lid hygiene -- but it worked in the end. Not a particularly pleasant experience though.