Thread: Oracea pricing

Default Oracea pricing

Hello All,

I work for a large corporation and have to fill all my prescriptions
    through the online pharmacy called Medco. I just refilled my 90 day
    supply of Oracea and they are charging my insurance $869......my part is
    20% of that. This seems like an awful lot money for an
    antibiotic.....almost $10 a pill.

Is this normal pricing ? What do others pay for this ?

Get the Oracea savings card from the Galderma/Oracea website, it's free and it'll save you (I think) $75 for your 3-month supply, $25 per 30-day refill off your co-pay on health insurance. So you'll pay about $98 instead of the $173. as I figure it. The outrageous price is correct, good luck.

Default oracea pricing

Oracea is incredibly expensive. You could use doxcycline generic 50mg, and it is about $5, and probably would have the same effect. It seems most anti-biotics lose their effectiveness after 3-6 months.

Hi reaton,

Is that your only option to go through Medco?
    I am using the Oracea savings card and paying now only $15 per month for my Rx. It has gone down for some reason from last year so maybe the insurance companies are starting to realize there is no good substitute for Oracea. In any case, DukeCity is right in that either way (through Medco or another pharmacy) if you use the Savings Card you can save money.

I don't agree with rbissman that all antibiotics lose their effectiveness in 3-6 months. Oracea has worked for many people for a few years now. It is important to remember that Oracea is submicrobial and therefore doesn't affect our bacterial flora so in that respect is better than 50 mg doxy. JMO.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Melissa is 100% correct.

Doxycycline, along with Oracea in particular, will not create resistance. For oracea, it is time delayed release...so it doesn't indulge 40 or 50 mg all at once.

Doxy, at 20 mg, taken twice a day...once in morning and once at night...has the same effect esssentially.

I feel like I post this on a regular basis here. Maybe I should stop because no one is listening...

100mg tablets of generic Doxy are very cheap. Get a pill splitter and split the tablets into quarters, taking a quarter twice a day. I paid something stupid like $16 through Medco for enough pills to last me longer than the expiration date on the pills!

Time releasing an old drug and then charging this much is down right disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCity View Post
    Get the Oracea savings card from the Galderma/Oracea website, it's free and it'll save you (I think) $75 for your 3-month supply, $25 per 30-day refill off your co-pay on health insurance. So you'll pay about $98 instead of the $173. as I figure it. The outrageous price is correct, good luck.
    Actually, the card allows you to purchase each 1 month Oracea Rx for only $25! The cards come in the little Oracea packet my derm gave me (which also included 4 Oracea tablets and literature). I know for a fact this deal runs through the end of 2010. Not sure about after that.

So basically, with the savings card, it only $25 per month. Not bad at all.

I think the previous is true only if you have insurance willing to cover the medication at all. Which most people's doesn't.

So what do people do when they don't have insurance?? Suffer w/ rosacea symptoms, let it get worse until they become disfigured? So sad.

I wonder if people on public assistance are covered when it comes to skin conditions. I am thankful I have insurance but w/ co-pays on visits and meds I am still going broke trying to treat this. I could not even imagine how awful it would be to not be able to afford treatment because of lack of insurance/funds.