Thread: Considering Low level light therapy - possible side effects?

Default Considering Low level light therapy - possible side effects?

I've had it up to here with rosacea and after hearing that Low Level Light thearpy has worked for some, I am seriously considering it. I've tried a few different topical treatments so far - none have offered big improvements, one has seen a small improvement for me. The dermatologist is no help, so I've just been trying different over-the-counter creams and treatments.

Generally, I'm very wary about drugs, lasers, or any similar things of the sort which could have detrimental effects on other aspects of my health. As much as I despise rosacea, I personally do not think it's worth it to damage some other aspect of my health to cure it. This is why I'm slightly wary of Low Light Level therapy: although there doesn't appear to be any associated risks, there also doesn't appear to have been much research done on it. All I can uncover are very vague, convuluted descriptions of it and its possible side effects.

What I'm most concerned about are the chances of skin cancer and damage to vision. I'm wondering if essentially sitting your face in front of a lamp emitting UV radiation, even while wearing goggles, could have possible effects on ones eyesight. I did find a page that suggested blue light therapy could, but it was incredibly vague in its suggestions and there was also no mention of goggles, which makes me unsure of whether they were being used.

I'm still a young adult, so if there are possible effects and damages over a long-term basis, I'll probably skip out.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Dylan,
    Blue light can have harmful effects on your eyes and that is why it is important to wear protective eyewear if using blue light. Regarding red light many here feel it is safe without protective eyewear and in fact report improvement of their ocular symptoms. However I cannot guarantee this so if in doubt wear protective goggles. Infrared light penetrates more deeply than red and you should wear protective eyewear when using infrared.

If you do a search on this topic there are some threads discussing this topic.

If you have not already done so check out the stickies in this section. There is a lot of research Twickle Purple has done that is very helpful.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Rest easy.

The lamps we are discussing here do not emit UV light.
    Ask yourself, do light bulbs used in domestic and retail settings - yellows, reds, greens etc - pose a cancer risk? Does half of North America come down with cancer after the festive season? etc etc

IMO, I don't think you should be concerned about skin cancer with all the research and applications done with light therapy in general, most notably NASA.

From the research that I've read, though I can't reference anything since it's been awhile, red light is safe for the eyes but infared and blue are not. I have been using Red Light for about 6 months with no goggles and even have my eyes open sometimes when using it with no detrimental effects but you could always wear goggles to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Hi Dylan,
    Blue light can have harmful effects on your eyes and that is why it is important to wear protective eyewear if using blue light. Regarding red light many here feel it is safe without protective eyewear and in fact report improvement of their ocular symptoms. However I cannot guarantee this so if in doubt wear protective goggles. Infrared light penetrates more deeply than red and you should wear protective eyewear when using infrared.

If you do a search on this topic there are some threads discussing this topic.

If you have not already done so check out the stickies in this section. There is a lot of research Twickle Purple has done that is very helpful.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Thanks Melissa!

I've read the sticky's, but after some misleading advice from a doctor last year, I try to research these things extensively just in case. He said there were no risks with the surgery I was getting, and then after doing some research I found out that there were pretty high risks compared to others. I couldn't find a clear answer as to the eyesight thing, so your help is greatly appreciated.

I have a sort-of paranoia about my eyesight, so for that reason alone I'm being particularly cautious. However, I'm leaning towards red light, not blue or infrared from what I read, so with precautionary goggles it should be fine.

Thanks once again

Quote Originally Posted by GJ View Post
    Rest easy.

The lamps we are discussing here do not emit UV light.
    Ask yourself, do light bulbs used in domestic and retail settings - yellows, reds, greens etc - pose a cancer risk? Does half of North America come down with cancer after the festive season? etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by chris311 View Post
    IMO, I don't think you should be concerned about skin cancer with all the research and applications done with light therapy in general, most notably NASA.

From the research that I've read, though I can't reference anything since it's been awhile, red light is safe for the eyes but infared and blue are not. I have been using Red Light for about 6 months with no goggles and even have my eyes open sometimes when using it with no detrimental effects but you could always wear goggles to be on the safe side.
    Thanks very much.

I don't understand the science behind light therapy or radiation whatsoever, even though I've tried, so I appreciate the help very much. Looks like there's nothing to worry about for skin cancer or eyesight, although I'll still use goggles as a precaution.