Thread: Clonidine Remeron Combo

Default Clonidine Remeron Combo

Seems that many people have success with this combo.

Before I see a derm about requesting it, is there anything I should be aware of (i.e. dosages amounts)?

I'd like to see a derm that has had experience with it for rosacea before. Unfortunately, getting to Dr. Tony Chu is not possible.

I'm thinking this combo should make my rosacea an afterthought:

Clonidine + Remeron
    RLT
    IPL + Yag

Thanks everyone.

Dan
    "Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

My two cents --

Most dermatologists will not prescribe these drugs; it takes a General Practitioner. I have had several derms tell me they could not possibly prescribe those drugs.

Also, some doctors will not prescribe the two of them together.

My GP prescribed them both for me when I showed him emails from Tony Chu and Natalja, and when he could see my unrelenting misery.

Tony Chu told me I could take up to 75mcg (.075mg) Clonidine every 8 hours; I take less than that -- and I also take 30mg Remeron every night.

Also, please consider purpuric V Beam Perfecta in your anti rosacea arsenal.

I've had almost a hundred IPL's and two purpuric V Beams, and am verrrry impressed with the V Beam Perfecta. Make sure you get somebody with a lot of experience with this machine before you let them treat you.

I have heard that Remeron works better on women than men and would be interested in hearing what others think of that.
    Last edited by WrinkledClue; 31st December 2009 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WrinkledClue View Post
    My two cents --

Most dermatologists will not prescribe these drugs; it takes a General Practitioner. I have had several derms tell me they could not possibly prescribe those drugs.

Also, some doctors will not prescribe the two of them together.

My GP prescribed them both for me when I showed him emails from Tony Chu and Natalja, and when he could see my unrelenting misery.

Tony Chu told me I could take up to 75mcg (.075mg) Clonidine every 8 hours; I take less than that -- and I also take 30mg Remeron every night.

Also, please consider purpuric V Beam Perfecta in your anti rosacea arsenal.

I've had almost a hundred IPL's and two purpuric V Beams, and am verrrry impressed with the V Beam Perfecta. Make sure you get somebody with a lot of experience with this machine before you let them treat you.

I have heard that Remeron works better on women than men and would be interested in hearing what others think of that.
    I know very little about V Beam. I'm thinking of going in for a free consultation here: http://www.reflectionscenter.com/vb.php

Is that the unit your are talking about?

I'll also ask Dr. Chasin when I go about Clonidine and Remeron. Can you pass any literature along to me?

Thanks.
    "Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Clonodine and remeron are not exactly something most derms and even general practitioners will prescribe. My derm "didn't feel comftorable" writing a script for either and told me to see a GP. The GP was a total idiot in itself so I then decided to go see a phychiatrist which I guess was fitting as I was and am depressed about my skins state; but to me it didn't really matter WHO or WHY they prescribed it, just as long as I could get it.

So the pychiatrist prescribed me remeron 15 mgs which I take at night. He also gave me propanol and xanax/klonopin (pychiatrists seem to throw alot of crap at you when you mention anxiety/depression, even if for genuine reasons, i.e my face is a constant flusing/red/deteriorating mess and I feel and look like crap ) Anyway, I have yet to figure out how to get my hands on clonodine. I'll probably just go to another GP and bring some literature, I also corresponded with Dr. Chu so I might bring those emails in also.

If you searh pubmed you can find the articles I'm speaking of. Just search key words: rosacea, flushing, clonodine, hot flashes etc. and then do the same thing for remeron. Although I think if I remember right there isn't any publications just yet for remeron and you'll just have to get it for depression etc. although you can say it's known to benefit rosacea flushing and also hot flashes due to menopause which is the truth.

I hope no one gives a hard time. I think your plan is good and solid btw, although Albas right, theres Vbeam also. Best of luck!

Adding pubmed links:

Clonodine:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6...ubmed_RVDocSum

there are more articles but this one is strong enough on it's own and should be all you need.

Remeron (mirtazapine) there ARE some afterall but they are mostly all for hotflashes/menopause which is still good:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...um&ordinalpos=

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...m&ordinalpos=9

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...m&ordinalpos=2

there are actually more but this is more than enough to show a Dr. but if you want more just search hot flashes, remeron etc.

Propanolol: (if you or anyone ever decides to try it)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16243148

Again, goodluck!

I agree, I would bring in as much studies and accounts on the effectiveness of both clonidine and remeron on facial flushing. They are all on the net. Then try to explain to your doc that one of the most knowledgeable derms in London is working with these meds for many years and that this is not a case of some estetically annoying redness, but that it is burning you up and that this potential chrnoic and progressing condition needs to be stopped in it's tracks.

I had to convince my gp and dermatologist in Holland to prescribe me these meds (and propranolol on top of it) and eventually they gave in and said I could give it a try. Luckily they could both see the improvement it gave me in a month or two. Try to make a deal with your doc, show him or her this is well studied and that you liek to give it a fare chance.

But I would advice you to do just that then, and wait with IPL/laser and RLT untill you know for sure these meds help you to a degree. You can then show this to your doc(s) and hopefully get a long term prescription deal. And thén I would perhaps start trying other things. But don't forget that these meds take some time to get at full strength and many people find themselves steadily improving over time.

To be honest, I am often surprised by the haste and hurry many rosaceans are in to run with 7 miles boots through all the possible treatments for rosacea, doing as much at the same time as possible. After 10 years and trying almost everything out there myself, I would advice against this and say: take your time for each treatment option and don't mix everything up. It will make it hard to distiguish what is working and what not and this might prevent you from having the full benefit from some treatment.

Good luck,
    Natalja

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by nat007 View Post
    I agree, I would bring in as much studies and accounts on the effectiveness of both clonidine and remeron on facial flushing. They are all on the net. Then try to explain to your doc that one of the most knowledgeable derms in London is working with these meds for many years and that this is not a case of some estetically annoying redness, but that it is burning you up and that this potential chrnoic and progressing condition needs to be stopped in it's tracks.

I had to convince my gp and dermatologist in Holland to prescribe me these meds (and propranolol on top of it) and eventually they gave in and said I could give it a try. Luckily they could both see the improvement it gave me in a month or two. Try to make a deal with your doc, show him or her this is well studied and that you liek to give it a fare chance.

But I would advice you to do just that then, and wait with IPL/laser and RLT untill you know for sure these meds help you to a degree. You can then show this to your doc(s) and hopefully get a long term prescription deal. And thén I would perhaps start trying other things. But don't forget that these meds take some time to get at full strength and many people find themselves steadily improving over time.

To be honest, I am often surprised by the haste and hurry many rosaceans are in to run with 7 miles boots through all the possible treatments for rosacea, doing as much at the same time as possible. After 10 years and trying almost everything out there myself, I would advice against this and say: take your time for each treatment option and don't mix everything up. It will make it hard to distiguish what is working and what not and this might prevent you from having the full benefit from some treatment.

Good luck,
    Natalja
    Great advice Natalja! You described me perfectly. Trying everything simultaneously makes it impossible to see what is really effective. It points to the misery of this disease that people are willing to try anything. I think Clonidine helps with the burn, but mostly because it knocks you out. I put the brakes on treatment remedies for now. Do you think that the Remeron is prescribed with the Clonodine because we are perhaps by nature depressed personality types? Or is it that the Clonodine makes people depressed? Do you think a good blood analysis would be helpful to see individual's body chemistry in order to help w. this disease? Or does nothing unusual show? I know you aren't an MD, but that you are an experienced Rosacean. I will say this fact makes you a very strong person in my book.
    Best

Quote Originally Posted by KRC View Post
    Great advice Natalja! You described me perfectly. Trying everything simultaneously makes it impossible to see what is really effective. It points to the misery of this disease that people are willing to try anything. I think Clonidine helps with the burn, but mostly because it knocks you out. I put the brakes on treatment remedies for now. Do you think that the Remeron is prescribed with the Clonodine because we are perhaps by nature depressed personality types? Or is it that the Clonodine makes people depressed? Do you think a good blood analysis would be helpful to see individual's body chemistry in order to help w. this disease? Or does nothing unusual show? I know you aren't an MD, but that you are an experienced Rosacean. I will say this fact makes you a very strong person in my book.
    Best
    Thanks for that KRC. I think the remeron helps with some of the flushing for some here, because it tends to have a calming effect on the central nervous system. It has proven to help with menopausal hot flashes too and they go roughly by a similar pathway in the central nervous system. I think it helps to block some of those dilating signals to the blood vessels and seems to bring your body temperature slightly down. Another med, propranolol, lowers blood pressure a bit and lowers adrenaline release, so that is benificial in its own way when it comes to reducing redness and flushing. Clonidine as far as I know helps constricting the small blood vessels in the extremities, incl the face. So they all work slightly different.

Yeh all these 3 meds can make you more tired, the blood pressure lowering meds for that reason, remeron because it has antihistamine effects, which is helpful for us biut also makes you tired, sluggish and hungry at worst.
    I know that propranolol is related to depression. Most betablockers seem to be able to cause or worsen depression. I am not sure of clonidine but I wouldnt be surprised, since lowering the blood pressure can cause that dip feeling.

Yeh I think the rosacea makes us depressed, and I also think that people with a worried persona, who are prone to mood swings, suffer more from the psychological impact of rosacea than some other people might do. Bit of a chicken and egg situation

Blood analysis usually doesn't show up rosacea signs, but they might help to determine of people have underlying diseases whch could cause the rosacea symptoms. On my blog I made a long list of diseases which cause rosacea symptoms, including descriptions, similarities and differences and pictures. I think an IgE blood test would be helpful to determine whether or not there are allergies at play, and an ANA blood test to see if there is auto immune activity in the body; if so that could either come from active rosacea, but at higher levels it is usually an indication for another auto immune disease, whch is by nature inflammatory and could stir up or even cause the rosacea symptoms. So that would be good to find out I think, personally.

Best wishes Nat

Default Please Forgive Rambling

Quote Originally Posted by nat007 View Post
    Thanks for that KRC. I think the remeron helps with some of the flushing for some here, because it tends to have a calming effect on the central nervous system. It has proven to help with menopausal hot flashes too and they go roughly by a similar pathway in the central nervous system. I think it helps to block some of those dilating signals to the blood vessels and seems to bring your body temperature slightly down. Another med, propranolol, lowers blood pressure a bit and lowers adrenaline release, so that is benificial in its own way when it comes to reducing redness and flushing. Clonidine as far as I know helps constricting the small blood vessels in the extremities, incl the face. So they all work slightly different.

Yeh all these 3 meds can make you more tired, the blood pressure lowering meds for that reason, remeron because it has antihistamine effects, which is helpful for us biut also makes you tired, sluggish and hungry at worst.
    I know that propranolol is related to depression. Most betablockers seem to be able to cause or worsen depression. I am not sure of clonidine but I wouldnt be surprised, since lowering the blood pressure can cause that dip feeling.

Yeh I think the rosacea makes us depressed, and I also think that people with a worried persona, who are prone to mood swings, suffer more from the psychological impact of rosacea than some other people might do. Bit of a chicken and egg situation

Blood analysis usually doesn't show up rosacea signs, but they might help to determine of people have underlying diseases whch could cause the rosacea symptoms. On my blog I made a long list of diseases which cause rosacea symptoms, including descriptions, similarities and differences and pictures. I think an IgE blood test would be helpful to determine whether or not there are allergies at play, and an ANA blood test to see if there is auto immune activity in the body; if so that could either come from active rosacea, but at higher levels it is usually an indication for another auto immune disease, whch is by nature inflammatory and could stir up or even cause the rosacea symptoms. So that would be good to find out I think, personally.

Best wishes Nat
    Thanx for your prompt reply i was reviewing this page and was so happy to see this. I know I suffer from allergies - including asthma, but treatment protocols have IMO based on quality of life .... failed. : ( . Lots of auto-immune stuff happening, though don't believe I ever had ANA bloods. Will consider this info and also try to keep up with your intense study of this topic. I sometimes think we suffer from being too highly innervated. Want to say also I have a hard time staying for long periods online due to photosensitivity issues so have to try to ingest and comment on things in small often fragmented doses. Lots of highs and lows. I encourage you to keep up your good work w. Communication and art. I would love to see you televised! This info needs to be brought to the attention of the mainstream non Rosacean public in order that they become educated that this is way beyond a little cosmetic redness. I know I also was ignorant to a lot about this disease until I became afflicted. You go into great depth beyond the avoid triggers, use metro gel, take antibiotics, and rush out to IPL pablum most sites and derm offices spew.
    I think my next pursuit will be alternative Chinese acupressure/acupuncture though my insurance restraints are real. In US acupuncture is covered under my insurance plan though with a pretty high copayment and only a handful of practitioners, but better than none. Acupressure treatments are not covered though it is my understanding that some practices will blend the two treatments. Gonna try to get my Chi on. Chinese medicine says we have too much fire! Need to rebalance yin and yang.
    Too chicken to submit to IPL. Thinking of that as a really last resort. That could change, but for now at least your post is a reminder to slow down. Life is tolerable at home. Socializing really so limited due to evening onset of symptoms. And as I have vocalized before ... I miss my wine. I miss my wine so sometimes I whine. : )