Thread: Perioral dermatitis :(

Default Perioral dermatitis :(

Hello,

I post here, well, not so often anymore as I was finally just beginning to see some improvement in my skin after months and months of living hell. I'm on low dose accutane- month two- 15 mgs this month although I was on 10 mgs last month. Well, into my 1st month my perioral dermatitis which was all around my mouth and chin flaked off and was almost gone, I was extremely happy about it. I was getting out finally again- granted just to places like the grocery store etc. but that was sadly a huge accomplishment for me as before I could not go out and had to stay in as I was flushing constantly in addition to the very ugly red rashes that covered the lower half of my face.

Well- recently, about 5 days ago, the rashes started coming back... Granted not as extreme or big of patches but none the less noticeable and especially to myself. I don't know why this is happening though as they dried out before and just flaked off basically yet now they are back!? Sigh. This is extremely disheartening and I'm one again feeling very depressed and hopeless. I realize on accutane huge amounts of change can take place in a small period of time but this just has me SO down.

I'm wondering if it could be my toothpaste?? I ran out of my usual toothpaste and had to go to the store to get some more- I got the same kind- Rembrant canker sore brand- but this one seemed very minty and strong tasting in comparison to my previous tube and the timeline of when I started using it is in line with when the dermatitis started coming back.

I don't know what to do- perhaps I should order some of the squigle toothpaste and a toms of maine toothpaste I saw which also has no SLS, and also no fluoride but the thing is I'm not in a financial position where I can spend 30$ on toothpaste. The rembrant one costs me 10$ as is for a pathetic size, and the squigle toothpaste would be 16$ with shipping for a similar size. Sigh... but I guess its worth it if it means no rash.

This is just all so frustrating though- I was finally starting to feel somewhat comfortable in my own skin and now it all comes crashing down. I know accutane has alot of ups and downs and I'm hoping it'll start to go away again in the days to come but none the less I feel so blah and hopeless again. Sorry- this is more a rant more than anything.

Hope everyone else has been okay!

Hi Bluesky,

Sorry about this setback
    I would definitely switch to the no SLS toothpaste as that sounds as if it is the likely culprit. And that would make it an easy fix
    If only all of life were that way.

Good luck.

Melissa

ps why don't you google SLS free toothpastes...I bet you can find less expensive alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Hi Bluesky,

Sorry about this setback
    I would definitely switch to the no SLS toothpaste as that sounds as if it is the likely culprit. And that would make it an easy fix
    If only all of life were that way.

Good luck.

Melissa

ps why don't you google SLS free toothpastes...I bet you can find less expensive alternatives.
    Hi again,

Thanks for the help and the hug .

The toothpaste I have been using is SLS free, the rembrandt canker sore one, which is why it is so expensive for a little tube. This time though like I said it tasted very strong and minty, my last tube had a much more mellow taste and it took alot of getting used to as I was used to the strong flavor of normal toothpaste. I don't know if this tube is defective or what but I'm going to have to order likely the Toms of Maine as it's much cheaper at 5$ a tube for a larger size and also SLS free. It's just a hassle to have to order toothpaste online but I can't find it at any stores so I have to order it, SLS free toothpaste seems to be very expensive all around though unfortunately.

Hopefully the rash dries up and goes away again; I was finally remembering what I really looked like again but now that it's coming back I feel really down and out again. And right before Thanksgiving and the like! Perfect timing!

Anyway; sorry for my moaning... It's just a big set back as I was finally starting to feel somewhat OK with myself and my skin and now I feel as though I'm back at square one. Granted it's not as bad as it was, but still.

Thanks again though!