Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is really starting to drive me mad, constant facial flushing

Default This is really starting to drive me mad, constant facial flushing

Hi everyone, Im new here. Im a guy and ive just turned 23, and im becoming increasungly frustrated that I CONSTANTLY have flushed red cheeks. It used to be just when I drink alcohol or over exert myself, when i was around maybe 16-18, but now i wake up every day and i look like ive just ran a marathon.

I cannot fathom why on earth this is happenning, but i feel like its genuinely ruining my life. I had a job interview the other day, and from the time of leaving the house to getting on the bus, and rushing to the place, I was so bright red and flushed i hid in a public toilet for half an hour and missed the interview.

I dont have any problems with spots, rough skin or acne etc, its just a constant redness around my cheeks and sometimes stretching up towards my temples. Ive given up even bothering to try and find a trigger - alcohol, hot weather, cold weather, bending over, pretty much EVERYTHING sets it off and makes it worse. ive tried cutting out alcohol, dairy, ive tried it all and it doesnt make a slight bit of difference.

Its making me very shy and withdrawn and I dont know what to do. I hate people seeing me and I HATE having my picture taken because I always look so red

Here is a picture of me ive just taken

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6946/s6001460.jpg

Hi ajb,

How long has it been since the flushing became more or less permanent?

Do you apply any topicals to your face?

What kind of laundry products/toiletries do you use?

Have you seen a doctor lately?
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Its been about 6 months since it became permanent.

As for things I put on my face, I use a face wash each morning and night (ive always used the same one and when ive tried others or tried going without it hasnt made any difference)

and use a moisturiser with spf 15 too (same as face wash, always used same but tried different onces and not using but no change whatsoever).

Not sure what you mean by topicals?

Also no I havent been to a doctor, Im not sure if its worth it because hell likely just tell me its the way I am, and theres nothing that can be done.

Obviously as you can see from my pic im fair haired and pale, so im more susceptible to getting a red face, but this is ridiculous.

And by the way, the picture i posted is probably the most flattering of me ever, it doesnt show off the redness at all!

Default re

hi, oracea, yoga, and modifying my diet have almost brought me back to normal from a case much worse than yours. I would definitely seek the advice of a dermatologist to discuss options. I believe my unhealthy lifestyle pushed my immune system over the edge and the roacea took over. I was a drinker, stressed and my diet sucked...i hardly ever ate fruits and vegtables. I know all too well how this can affect one's life becuase it ruined mine for a long period of time, so I will be pulling for you...check in with us and let us know how you are doing..this is a superb group of people here!

Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    hi, oracea, yoga, and modifying my diet have almost brought me back to normal from a case much worse than yours. I would definitely seek the advice of a dermatologist to discuss options. I believe my unhealthy lifestyle pushed my immune system over the edge and the roacea took over. I was a drinker, stressed and my diet sucked...i hardly ever ate fruits and vegtables. I know all too well how this can affect one's life becuase it ruined mine for a long period of time, so I will be pulling for you...check in with us and let us know how you are doing..this is a superb group of people here!
    Thanks, that all sounds similar to me...however, bizarrely, the flushing has became WORSE since I started being more healthy. I feel like I cant win. About a year ago I was in my final year of university, I was overweight, always drinking and eating garbage and really stressed out, yet looking at images from that time my face is almost always clear.

Im not sure if youre from the US, but im in the UK and wouldnt even know how to go about seeing a dermatologist :S can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by ajb.23 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by topicals?
    Any treatment, prescription or OTC such as oils, lotions, creams, steroid creams, etc.

Also no I havent been to a doctor, Im not sure if its worth it because hell likely just tell me its the way I am, and theres nothing that can be done.
    You should see a doctor. You may not suffer from rosacea at all. A number of conditions can cause flushing, including heart disease and allergies.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

You absolutely MUST see a doctor!!!

AS has been pointed out, this may not be Rosacea but you need to get it seen to that whatever is causing it can be treated.... And it can be treated!

Something i've learned on my journey is that unfortunately some derms and doctors aren't clued up on rosacea or offer down right bad advice... It can be smething of a lottery.

So, if the first doctor you see brushes it off then make an appointment to see another one until you get someone who has more understanding. Once at the doctors ask to be reffered to a Dermatologist. The doctor will then refer you to the nearest hospitals dermatology department. You may be in for a long wait - anywhere between 4 and 12 weeks - but it gives you an opportunity to try anything the doctor prescribes.

I know how it feels to want to lock yourself away and avoid things but you've got to keep that little voice in your head going..."I will get rid of this".

I've learnt the worst thing for my skin is to get stressed and feel down. It's easier said than done not to feel depressed but getting help from a good derm or doctor can do wonders.

Hi and welcome to the RF

I agree with the previous posters in that you should schedule an appt for a derm. There are conditions that need to be ruled out before you can definitively diagnose rosacea.

Having said that perhaps you will find this link helpful in the meantime:
    http://www.rosacea-research.org/wiki...itle=Main_Page

Try and avoid any of your known triggers like alcohol for the time being. And it is imperative that you treat your face gently and stay away from any harsh treatments.

I know it is tough right now but you will find the proper treatment once you have the correct diagnosis. Hang in there.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by ajb.23 View Post
    And by the way, the picture i posted is probably the most flattering of me ever, it doesnt show off the redness at all!
    Do you have a picture which more accurately reflects the redness and flushing you suffer from?

It's just looking at the one you have posted, it wouldn't even occur to me that you might have anything wrong with your skin.