Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you sleep?

GJ,

No, I don't spend too much time in the car...

...migraines for me are usually on the right side, not the left...

I've been injured a few times on that side (scratched, bruised, etc from martial arts) and I do like the sun--I burned my face a few times (not too badly, but still) when I was a teenager.

I'm sure that plays a role more than anything else.

And it's not obsessing about it when other people have commented on it as well

Sorry to hear you hurt your back, thankfully something positive is coming out of this.

Mistica is so correct to say less wrinkles! I hurt my back about 4 years ago on my right side. So I sleep on my left side and on my back. I do notice that if I sleep on my left side I have to make sure the cheek is not touching the pillow otherwise it will be red. I have noticed that I have more wrinkles under my left eye and I am also seeing a bit of crows lines on my left area yet my right side eye appears much better. I try so hard to stay on my back but after a while I get tired and end up on my left side. This past weekend I tried sleeping on the right side switched over with hubby since I have to have a fan by my bedside aiming at my face and my back started to hurt more. So last night I was back to my left side but I agree with Mistica I am going to try so hard to stay on my back.

What is so totally weird is that by sleeping on my left side my left ear hurts during the night the pressure of the pillow I guess and when I wake up its really red yet during the day the ear to flush severely is my right ear. When I went away about 2 years ago on vacation I was away for 2 weeks during that time I slept on my right side what was weird ofcourse my right ear was red when I woke up but during the day the ear that flushed severely was the left which I didnít sleep on. So totally weird!

Judworth, I have the same problem I love to cuddle itís the way I fall asleep quickly. Usually I will wake up during the night and just gently take my hubbyís hand away and then I fall asleep on my back but its really hard since my back will hurt this way too :o(

hope you are feeling better today.

Alba
    using elidel at night, taking atelenol, had 2 vbeam laser treatments, 46 year old female

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Sorry to hear you hurt your back, thankfully something positive is coming out of this.

Mistica is so correct to say less wrinkles! I hurt my back about 4 years ago on my right side. So I sleep on my left side and on my back. I do notice that if I sleep on my left side I have to make sure the cheek is not touching the pillow otherwise it will be red. I have noticed that I have more wrinkles under my left eye and I am also seeing a bit of crows lines on my left area yet my right side eye appears much better. I try so hard to stay on my back but after a while I get tired and end up on my left side. This past weekend I tried sleeping on the right side switched over with hubby since I have to have a fan by my bedside aiming at my face and my back started to hurt more. So last night I was back to my left side but I agree with Mistica I am going to try so hard to stay on my back.

What is so totally weird is that by sleeping on my left side my left ear hurts during the night the pressure of the pillow I guess and when I wake up its really red yet during the day the ear to flush severely is my right ear. When I went away about 2 years ago on vacation I was away for 2 weeks during that time I slept on my right side what was weird ofcourse my right ear was red when I woke up but during the day the ear that flushed severely was the left which I didnít sleep on. So totally weird!

Judworth, I have the same problem I love to cuddle itís the way I fall asleep quickly. Usually I will wake up during the night and just gently take my hubbyís hand away and then I fall asleep on my back but its really hard since my back will hurt this way too :o(

hope you are feeling better today.

Alba

Thank you Alba,

Rosacea CAN take an awful lot away from you, however we can also find ways around the
    problems that it throws up too can't we?

I am now a wrinkle-free Judworth!
    SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA.

*Vit D3,Theratears Omega 3.

*LDN since October 2018.

*REN skincare range. TARTE cosmetics.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol (None being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

* Use Optimel & Ilast cream for MGD Ocular rosacea.

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves) Lichen Planus (oral)
    PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

HI,

I have the same experience as mutantfrog. The side of my face that I sleep on is always less red then the side I donīt sleep on. It also workes like this when I turn sides (then the usually redder side getīs paler the next morning).
    I was thniking that maybe it has to do with the blood in the upright cheek going downwards and staying in the cheekarea next to the nose because of this, giving that cheek a more flushed look ??
    Uses: 22,5 mg mirtazapine, clonidine and propranolol, Xyzal at times.
    Diet: trying low sugar, no gluten and dairy, high protein diet.
    Link to my rosacea blog:http://scarletnat.blogspot.com

Default Without a doubt

Without a doubt sleeping on the back and getting good sleep help with rosacea. It is very hard for me to fall asleep on my back, I am trying to break the habit of curling up. A lot of life is sleeping and dreaming and if you are in positions that do not promote good blood flow than this is not good. I was struggling with getting into good dream cycles and have been taking Melatonin and this helps. It also helps for anyway coming off anxiety drugs. (Benzos)

I am convinced more and more that so much of my rosacea is about not getting good relaxed relieving sleep.

Oily skin, possible seb derm, mild rosacea.... using aveeno bar soap and raw honey on face every other night.

i remember that as i was waking up today i was rubbing my face on the pillow which felt like sandpaper (the stubble doesn't help). And i had a burding sensation. Your thread is a mind-opener, thanks.

This user has been banned from this forum

Hi,
    I sleep on my right side/stomach with my left leg over a pillow and my head resting on my right arm.

I've always noticed that my left side is redder & has more bumps than the right side and I sleep primarily on the left side. But I've also noticed that the rosacea got better when I started changing out my pillow case every day, as well as when I started to wash the bedding in hot water with fragrance & dye free detergent, or I should say worse when I screw up & get a pillow case in with the regular laundry. That made start to wonder if I was 1) allergic or more sensitive to the laundry soap than I thought ( I have to wash undergarments & bedding in fragrance & dye free soap, and other laundry with Tide or an off brand, otherwise there is trouble), 2) could there be validity to the Dermodex discussions & maybe my pillow contains mites or the heat from me laying on that side attracts them or something, 3) Is the blood pooling on the side that I sleep on and just making it appear more red.
    BTW, that side is also dryer than the other side.

Here's another odd thing that I've noticed. I get more of a flare up if I wear my hair down to bed. Ponytail = less redness & bumps on my face, but more headaches and hair loss, , even though I try not to have a tight ponytail, just a loose one with a "no-damage" binder. I have to say that there isn't a good choice for that one.

I noticed that someone posted about headaches. Yes, more of my migraines are on the left side, same as the redder cheek but they start at with the creepy crawlies at the back of my head & then flood over the top & plant themselves on the left side of my head generally. No idea if they are corrolated, but since it was mentioned - yes both on the same side for me.

I'd be interested if anyone else has had any corrolation between bedding, laundry soap, the side they sleep on and that side being more prone to outbreaks of rosacea.

So far cortisone shots worked wonders, clears it up right away, but trying to minimize those at $120/mo. Cortisone cream = so-so. Currently trying occassional tea tree oil, procacea, & buckthorn soap. Thought the procacea was doing ok and the buckthorn soap actually seems to help on it's own. But so far nothing really takes care of the worse flare ups except for the shots they also help with arthritis A LOT.

NanaJ

Having lived with eczema for 67 years and now 6 months with rosacea, I have learned that I have to wash not only my bedding, but all of my clothes in dye-free, perfume-free, everything-free laundry detergent and fabric softener.

I have used All Free & Clear laundry detergent and Downy Free fabric softener for years.

I use Dove for Sensitive Skin in the shower and to wash my hands.

Also... since the rosacea has appeared, I went to Bed Bath & Beyond and purchased a dozen really soft Egyptian cotton hand towels. They are really really soft :-). I wash them .... by themselves... nothing else in the washing machine.... with lots of water even though it's a small load I still set the load size to Large..... and add the usual amount of All Free & Clear laundry detergetn and the Downy Free fabric softener and I add 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon of Tea Tree Oil to the water.

I do put a pillowcase on my pillow, but every night I take a clean hand towel from the pile of towels that I had treated with Tea Tree Oil and lay that over the pillowcase so that my face is resting on the tea tree oil treated hand towel and not the pillowcase. I sleep on my side.... both sides during the course of a night.. so my cheeks are resting on the towel the whole night.

that has really helped for me....

I'm doing other things of course.... mainly diet changes.. but I think the hand towels are helping....

Also.. I'm using a tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner and I think that also helps. I don't use it all the time... once every couple of weeks. Otherwise, I sue Desert Essence's Coconut Oil Shampoo and the matching Conditioner.
    Last edited by Susan B; 14th March 2013 at 12:46 AM.

The All Free & Clear is what I use for the "free everything" laundry and Dove Sensitive Skin for most skin care, but I've found it to be very drying, although my skin is very dry anyway & especially during the winter. Northern winters where it's often below zero & windy is kind of tough on it.

I'm glad to hear that the tea tree oil is helping you Susan B, I have been skeptical of using it but I'm desperate at this point for some relief. Although rosacea is part of the problem, another problem is that if my skin gets too dry I end up with eczema and even cracking, not just hands & elbows but even around my nose & eyes, so I have to be careful not to dry out my face even more than usual and even my hands from some of the products for the rosacea make my fingers crack around the tips & fingernails.

NanaJ