Thread: Metrogel .75% versus Metrogel 1%

Default Metrogel .75% versus Metrogel 1%

Hi,

Has anyone noticed a difference between Metrogel .75% and Metrogel 1%?

I first got rosacea back in late 2003 and was prescribed Metrogel .75% (light blue package)...within about 4 months it had pretty much eliminated my symptoms and my life was back to normal. About three years later, mid 2007, the rosacea began to appear again. I went back to the derm and told him I had success with Metrogel in the past and he prescibed it for me. I expected similar results but found the opposite. The Metrogel really irratated my condition and actually caused papules, which I never had before. The only thing I noticed different was that the Metrogel was now apparently stronger and required only one application per day.

Does anyone know if the .75% is still available? Do you think this could make a difference or do you think my condition has just changed since the first time I had it?

Thanks.

prjh,

I have not noticed any difference between .75% and 1% Metrogel.

But I'm confused--I started with 1% Metrogel, and a few months ago was told that 1% was no longer available, thus why I was switched to .75%. I'm in the states--don't know if location plays a role with this. Or maybe I just misunderstood, and only my HMO isn't dealing with the 1% anymore.

I have found my reactions to different medications vary over time. Example: when I first started using Metrogel 1% I had a really intense negative reaction. When I tried the exact same product (literally, the same tube) 4 months later it worked really well for my dermatitis.

Same with other various oral medications--I assume it's just body chemistry that changes as we age??

The only other thing I can think of is maybe it's not rosacea, but a similar condition?? I have rosacea across my cheeks/nose, and that skin goes NUTS if I put metrogel on it. But I also have perioral derm around my nose and mouth--it looks almost identical--but Metrogel does wonders for that skin. Conversely, finacea works OK on my "rosacea" but I can't tolerate it at all on the "PD".

Good luck

The difference is the 1% also contains Niacinamide, which can cause irritation and flushing for some.

The .75 is still available, but the company pushes the 1% in all the marketing.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SkincareKev View Post
    The difference is the 1% also contains Niacinamide, which can cause irritation and flushing for some.

The .75 is still available, but the company pushes the 1% in all the marketing.

Hope that helps.
    Wow I had no idea that the 1% has Niacinimide.

Wait, I thought Niacinimide was supposed to be less likely to provoke flush--compared to Niacin? I know if i take a multivitamin with Niacin in it, I flush.

Good to know that both are still available...I guess it was just my HMO doing it's thing

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can get some of the .75% and give it a try again.

Default Better with the 1%

My doctor accidentally prescribed the .75% and that convinced me that the 1% works better for me. My Rosacea pimples flare more when I eat wheat (which I am allergic to). The Metrogel 1% does help keep the flares in more control. I am so very tired of not being able to eat wheat tho.

I'm back on the .75% and it seems to be working much better for me. My Derm said he has read that a small amount of patients have had an adverse reaction to the 1% after having previously tolerated the .75%

The .75% seems to do a better job at cooling down any hot spots/p&ps for me, whereas the 1% seemed to irritate them. I've also noticed that the .75% has a little bit different texture -- a little bit thicker than the 1%.

He also put me on Doryx, the combination of the .75% and the Doryx seem to be improving my condition so far.