Thread: IPL and dry eye

Default IPL and dry eye

From
    http://www.wsoctv.com/health/21239140/detail.html

Intense Pulsed Light for Dry EyeChristopher Coad, M.D., Ophthalmologist at Chelsea Eye & Cosmetic Surgery Associates in New York City, is using a technique for some dry eye patients called intense pulsed light therapy (IPL). IPL is sometimes used to reduce facial skin redness caused by growth of abnormal blood vessels in patients with rosacea. Doctors noticed that some rosacea patients reported easing of dry eye symptoms after getting IPL. That finding led physicians to try it for patients with dry eye.First, eye shields and a cooling ultrasound gel are placed around the eyes to protect the eyes and surrounding skin. Then, the IPL is aimed under the lower lid, moving across the eyes. Two passes of the light are made. Then the gel and eye shields are removed.Coad says IPL has three main effects on dry eye. First, the heat acts like a warm compress to liquefy the blocked oil thatís plugging the meibomian gland. Second, the small blood vessels that carry inflammatory cells to the site are sealed. Third, the light treatment improves the health and function of the meibomian gland, reducing the risk of further inflammation.

Smile

Thank you for that Melissa!

I must admit that when I have had my facial IPL treatments that in itself has helped my

ocular rosacea, however I appreciate for others it may not be the solution.

This more localised treatment could be the answer.

Jx
    SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA SINCE 2002.

*Vit D3,Theratears Omega 3.

*LDN since October 2018.

*REN skincare range. TARTE cosmetics.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol (None being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves) Lichen Planus (oral)
    PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT