Thread: Does anyone know if cyclosporin is better than taking oracea

Default Does anyone know if cyclosporin is better than taking oracea

Hello

This could be a bit of an essay!

I have very mild rosacea on my nose and horrible mgd/blepharitis... At times my eye pain is unbearable in my right eye and I have horrible reddy purple discolouration under my eyes constantly (I have had a bit of eye surgery over the last couple of years and an extra lasik to my right eye). Before I had refractive surgery I had very mild blelpharitis but now it is not good at all.

I had a course of antibiotics (tetrasayal) earlier this year, I stopped them in Feb (also tried chinese medicine) , I do eyelid hygeine twice a day religiously.. I also used fucithalmic at night for a few months. As soon as I stopped the fucithalmic I had a terrible eye flare up about 2 weeks later. My eyes felt very sore, painful, and looked red underneath and wrinkly.

I am now taking the fucithalmic again at night and my eyes feel a bit better but not much.

Please I need some help in deciding what to do now!!!!

I saw a derm who suggested I have IPL, I feel a bit nervous about this but will do it if it will help my eyes.

Have had cyclosporin/ retasis prescribed but havent used it yet, I heard it can cause some unwanted side effects.

Or try Oracea in uk its called infracea ....but how long would I do this for?

I have concerns with all of them.. taking antibiotics long term.. using eye drops long term..
    Having IPL if I havent got bad rosacea (but I know it is supposed to get worse, the derm said it would stop it progressing)...

Cant stand this irritation and pain and also how unsightly the redness looks under my eyes....

Help... would really love some advice from others in the same boat.

Thanks a million
    JoJo
    X

Hello

Also forgot to mention

I take Bio tears (got them from US and cost me a fortune, have used them for 1 month so far)
    and celluvisc eye drops or thera tears throughout the day.

Thanks
    JoJo
    X

Hey Jojo,
    I am out the door right now but quick reply

Keep doing what you are doing
    gently cleansing your lid margins twice a day with a non irritating lid scrub
    gently using warm compresses to massage your lids (to help the MGD)

Oracea might help your ocular symptoms but it will take a while (month or 2 or 3) to really see effects so patience here if you are going to try it

As for long term effects of Oracea they should be minimal (as long as it doesn't disagree with your system) as it is submicrobial in effect

IPL/Laser can actually provide relief for ocular symptoms though it is not performed on the eye because by getting overall inflammation under control it helps the eye symptoms.

Lasix is contraindicated in rosacea patients because it does cause a compromise to the eye and makes it even drier than it was before surgery so that is why you are experiencing this exacerbation. However, you can totally control it and adding rewetting drops throughout the day should provide relief as well. Apply liberally and make sure they are preserv-free. I really like celluvisc. Not sure about the Bio-tears. Anything that provides relief is good and if it preservative free you can instill as often as you want.

Regarding Restasis what are the side effects you have heard about?
    I know a few people who really like the effects of the Restasis but again patience is key here as it takes up to 6 weeks to get the effects of reduced inflammation and increasing tear production.

Hang in there Jojo

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Jojo,
    you may find this blurb of some interest
    http://www.wsoctv.com/health/21239140/detail.html

Intense Pulsed Light for Dry EyeChristopher Coad, M.D., Ophthalmologist at Chelsea Eye & Cosmetic Surgery Associates in New York City, is using a technique for some dry eye patients called intense pulsed light therapy (IPL). IPL is sometimes used to reduce facial skin redness caused by growth of abnormal blood vessels in patients with rosacea. Doctors noticed that some rosacea patients reported easing of dry eye symptoms after getting IPL. That finding led physicians to try it for patients with dry eye.First, eye shields and a cooling ultrasound gel are placed around the eyes to protect the eyes and surrounding skin. Then, the IPL is aimed under the lower lid, moving across the eyes. Two passes of the light are made. Then the gel and eye shields are removed.Coad says IPL has three main effects on dry eye. First, the heat acts like a warm compress to liquefy the blocked oil thatís plugging the meibomian gland. Second, the small blood vessels that carry inflammatory cells to the site are sealed. Third, the light treatment improves the health and function of the meibomian gland, reducing the risk of further inflammation.
    Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Thats really interesting. Do you know if this is a new way to treat dry eye and mgd or has it been used for a while. Its the first time Ive heard of this.. I wonder if its used here in the uk?

How do you know all of this stuff and where to find it? youre a great source of information and its really appreciated.

Thanks Melissa
    Jo
    X

Default Thanks Jo

I'm not sure how long they have been doing this for but I know a few years ago when I had first had VBeam on my cheeks I noticed an improvement with my ears flushing/burning and told my derm and she has since said that others report similar benefit. Then, reading about others experience here with IPL/Laser on their face and experiencing similar ocular benefits - so it is not new info though there may not have been formal studies regarding this benefit until more recently. As usual, anecdotal evidence precedes formal data.

Best wishes,
    Melissa