Thread: IPL Derm in South East Florida Area?

Default IPL Derm in South East Florida Area?

Has anyone heard of or seen either Dr. Leslie Baumann (with the University of Miami) or Dr. Jonette Keri (also with U of M)?
    Any other suggestions for the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area are welcome. I'm looking for IPL treatment. Thanks!

Melissa, you are the queen of searches! Thank you so much for that post.

I wonder if you can give me some advice on how to proceed....the other doctor that I mentioned in my post, Dr. Keri, is the name that the University gave me when I called the physician referral line at the University of Miami. I looked her up and under her "interests in dermatology" it lists rosacea, and she has been part of some rosacea studies done by UM. I only found two "reviews" of her online, one patient loved her, the other did not (I know, I need to find out for myself). BUT, I'm wondering if she is experienced in IPL treatments, and how do I find out? Do I just call the office and ask them? What specifically should I ask for?

The reason I was considering Dr Baumann was because she is an instructor at the University of Miami, and she also opened her own cosmetic dermatology clinic in the area. So she obviously would be experienced with the IPL since she performs the treatment there on a daily basis. And the posts that you linked to had nothing but good things to say about her. So, even though I'm looking for someone experienced to do a good job on IPL, at the same time I'm kind of hoping that other treatments (less invasive, less expensive) can help me.

The derm I see now is totally against the IPL. Not sure why, but maybe I'll find out when I go back this Thursday for my appointment. He seems to be EXTREMELY conservative in his treatments. When I recently went to the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute I asked the doc what the starting course of treatment for ocular rosacea was, and among other things, she said she usually starts with 100mg of Orecea, and my doc has me on 40mg.

I'm not sure I communicated exactly what I am trying to ask.....just need some guidance I guess. A part of me says to just go see both docs down in Miami, but I have 3 children and that keeps me pretty busy!

That is a difficult decision because without meeting them both and talking with them we can only go on guess work. What did the person who did not like Dr Keri give as the reason? Keep in mind that 2 reviews are not statistically significant and same goes for the reviews about Dr Baumann. I am getting from your post that Dr Baumann does mainly IPLs? Then, I would try Dr Keri first since you are on the fence about IPL. See what Dr Keri has to suggest for your next step and then if you are not happy an appt to see Dr Baumann is still an option.

Sorry as I have no real insight to give regarding these 2 doctors since I am not familiar with either of them but remember not to rush into any treatment you don't feel good about. Take your time to make up your mind.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi Melissa- I think the negative review about Dr Keri was that she was very late with the appt and rushed the patient....so it wasn't anything about her qualifications. I just wish I knew which one was more effective and experienced with the IPL, but since I don't know people that have had this done, there's no way to know. I'm a nervous wreck when I think about getting IPL done on my face, but at the same time, it seems as though light/laser is the only thing that helps with the type of symptoms that I have (flushing/redness). So I guess I'll figure it out one of these days! Thanks for the post.

I totally understand how you are feeling. It is very nerve wracking to have laser or IPL treatment especially when you aren't sure of the qualifications/experience of the doctor doing them. I am sure whatever you end up doing will be a good choice.

Thumbs up

While this would be a bit of a drive from Miami, Dr. George Schmeider of Park Avenue Dermatology in Orange Park, Florida, is absolutely top notch. He was the third dermatologist I saw since my rosacea began in March, and he is the first to get it right. Caring, thorough, and very experienced, especially in IPL for rosacea, and he has invested in the the latest and greatest equipment.

Highly recommended!

Michael_V- Yes, that would be some drive! Thank you for the info though. I'm glad you found a qualified doctor....I've been to 3, and I'm still in search of a good one (so far they all just want to give me a topical and that's it). My problem is that I'm trying to stay close to home just because of time, but it looks like I'm going to have to go out of my comfort zone and maybe drive 30-60 minutes to see someone down in Miami.
    Thanks again.

Okay, good luck!